Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Thread: Suggestions for a system to use

Downloads
    Uploads

Suggestions for a system to use

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    So i'm thinking of making a futuristic campaign for some friends i usually play dnd with and i'm looking for a system to use for it. I've looked through the traveller rulebook and i really like the ideas in there and the system as a whole, however i'm not sure i like the damage system(by damage system i mean players taking damage, in travellers case losing endurance stats)?. Is there any system that has a more realistic damage system Or has anyone used a different system with the traveller rules? Or is there another system for a futuristic rpg i should look at? Traveller is really the only one i've taken a peek at so far.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'd take a look at GURPS if I were you. GURPS has optional very detailed injury and damage rules. It also has support for a number of different Sci-Fi genres: GURPS Traveller for that setting; Transhuman Space for a relatively hard-science future with no FTL; Tales of the Solar Patrol for retro, 1950's sci-fi; although it's not in print anymore, you can still find GURPS Vorkosigan Saga on Amazon; and if you are making up your own setting, GURPS Ultra-Tech and GURPS Space are great resources for future gear and for creating star systems and planets, even if you are using another system to run your game.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Eclipse Phase

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    If you don't mind an out-of-print game, Traveller: 2300 and 2300 AD are both excellent systems - though terribly dangerous to PCs. There are quite a few copies of the former on ebay too.

I also liked the original Star Trek: RPG from FASA.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Writer View Post
    If you don't mind an out-of-print game, Traveller: 2300 and 2300 AD are both excellent systems - though terribly dangerous to PCs. There are quite a few copies of the former on ebay too.

I also liked the original Star Trek: RPG from FASA.
    I liked the setting in 2300 much better than the system. But it has been a long time since I played or even looked at it. Just how does combat work again? I do remember one of my players complaining about the lethality of combat, but that might just be because he got hit by a grenade.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes - combat is very realistic and lethal.

Basically, the task resolution system is used to determine a hit. If a hit is made, a roll is made to determine where on the body he's been struck, resulting in either a kill, serious, or light wound location. The damage point value of the weapon is multiplied by 10 and compared to a 1d10 roll - that determines actual damage (if I remember correctly). Single shots in the right area can kill though armor lowers the dpv value.

It's very realistic and very lethal, which makes it very satisfying if you survive. Armor is key, as is not getting into fights you don't have to. There are no hit points or the like; you just have to keep track of the damage types.

Downloads
    Uploads
    @Max_Writer, thanks for the reminder. I thought 2300 was a blast. The setting is probably my favorite sci-fi setting from any game I've ever come across. (Along with Paranoia, for very different reasons.) In particular I really liked the aliens. They were well thought out, and really felt alien.

I did a little googling, and it turns out that you can get a CD-ROM that has 2300 AD and all the supplements ever published for the game. http://www.farfuture.net/

Downloads
    Uploads
    I can also recommend Cortex and Savage Worlds for a futuristic setting.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    if you go gurps, don't forget the still excellent third edition sources: space, future tech series, lensman for the space opera feel, and more.

if you decide to stick with d20, then mutants and masterminds or d20 future are possibilities.

speaking of d20 future... i was always fond of the old star frontiers, despite the clunkiness. (d20 future has the old star frontier races converted.)

if you don't mind 3rd party additions, then dragonstar has an interesting take on fantasy future.
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive