Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Click here to go to the first special guest post in this thread.   Thread: Statting Up Movie Captain America

Downloads
    Uploads

Statting Up Movie Captain America

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Here's a rough draft for a version of movie Cap's stats that I'll be putting online at my Kracalactaka! blog . . .

Resistances (11): Composure 3D, Fortitude 4D, Reaction 4D, Will 4D.

(I've kept movie Steve's Composure one level below his other peak-human resistances to reflect his doubts and anxieties at the time of his USO appearance in Europe--the moment that I'm using as the snapshot for my stats portrait of Cap.)

Aptitudes (7): Art & Craft 2D, Athleticism 3D, Fighting 3D, Performance 2D, Presence 2D

(Since Steve is only just about to begin his first real combat mission, I've kept his physical Aptitudes at 3D. He has no Intrusion Aptitude at this point: he's mostly lucky when he breaks into the Hydra base. I had to give him Performance at 2D since the USO montage showed that he had begun to settle into life as a public figure--but I also kept his Presence at 2D because he wasn't yet able to deal with the GIs who heckled him.)

Powers (4): Super Leap 1D, Super Speed 1D, Super Strength 1D, Super Weaponry: Shield 3D (Device, Touch Attack)

(The first three powers are all on display in the chase sequence in Brooklyn: Steve easily hurdles a chain link fence taller than a man, keeps pace with a speeding taxi cab, and punches through pressurized glass to get the Hydra agent. Super Strength is also on display in the USO sequence climax: I'd say that holding a motorcycle seating three chorus girls over your head is more than human strength. Add to this the bending of the steel railing in the Hydra base and the super leap to Bucky and safety, and I think there's a good argument for 1D in each of these powers. I kept the shield at 1D and let the complications boost it: it's good enough that Steve will want to keep using a shield--but not this one. There's no "Tough Defence" boost for the shield: Schmidt would clearly have been able to punch it into scrap metal if Dr. Zola hadn't retracted the bridge inside the factory, separating the combatants.)

Ads: None

(Steve will shortly be getting a major Ads boost with the addition of an Allies Ad in the form of Colonel Philips, Bucky, and the Howling Commandos. Right now, though, he only has Agent Carter in his corner--with a reluctant assist from Howard Stark.)

Disads:
    Outsider

(Steve Rogers will, I think, always be an Outsider. He starts off as a wimp, has trouble adjusting to life as a stateside celebrity, gets no respect from the Army initially, and--as we know--will eventually become a man out of time. I think we can also add Schmidt's point about posthumanity to the mix here: Steve will bridge the gap between human and posthuman better than most, but in the end he's now something more.)

Total Dice Spent: 21

(I wanted to build movie Cap on a starting character budget, and I was pleased to see that this was possible.)

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I haven't seen the movie (yet) so I can't add anything (yet)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, one question I had that you could answer now, Simon, is this: can Competency Dice be spent to permanently cement Ads? As I suggest above, over the course of the movie, Cap "earns" the Allies Ad. That seems like something that could be "bought" with the permanent expenditure of Competence.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't see why not

Downloads
    Uploads
    Another question: when raising Aptitudes over 3D, can one take multiple specialties instead of pumping up a single specialty? I.e., could Movie Cap replace the Super Leaping and Super Speed with Athleticism 3D (Jumping 4D, Running 4D)?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Maltese Changeling View Post
    Another question: when raising Aptitudes over 3D, can one take multiple specialties instead of pumping up a single specialty? I.e., could Movie Cap replace the Super Leaping and Super Speed with Athleticism 3D (Jumping 4D, Running 4D)?
    Yep

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Maltese Changeling View Post
    ...There's no "Tough Defence" boost for the shield: Schmidt would clearly have been able to punch it into scrap metal if Dr. Zola hadn't retracted the bridge inside the factory, separating the combatants.)

Thoughts? Suggestions?
    I saw the movie last week. I enjoyed it. Nice write-up. However, I thought the shield Cap used in that first battle was the stage prop shield and not one made of the special metal. Am I miss-remembering?