Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
RIFTS Campaign Online - Chi-Town 'Burbs - Page 2
Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Campaign Summary
Campaign Summary Genre: Post Apocalyptic
System Used: RIFTS
Style: 50% Roleplaying / 50% Combat
Current Players: 3
Desired # of Players: 4
Game Location N/A
Game Times Frequency: Biweekly
Days of Week: Friday
Online Game Details Online Game?: Yes
Online Software Used: Palladium Games Chat Room
Additional Options Looking for Players?: No
Online Game
(Palladium Games Chat Room)

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: RIFTS Campaign Online - Chi-Town 'Burbs

Downloads
    Uploads
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Ok. If no one minds I'll go with the Roguish character. (I'm big on the rping. LOL)

Downloads
    Uploads
    I can take a couple of repair and maintenance skills, including jury-rig, but that's about all considering the psi-stalker isn't offered much in the way of good technical skills. I guess that's why jury-rig and general maintenance & repair are great to have in the wilderness/wastelands.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Here's a quick review of our short chat session Friday. DarkMaiden will be playing a City Rat with no blood relatives she knows of but a gang in Firetown that treats her just like family. Her character will be focused on burglary type skills. Silverware will be playing a City Rat with some computer ability and a penchant for concealment and smuggling. We didn't have time to work out any more details of Silverware's character, but we will do more next time we chat or via this thread or email. DarkMaiden rolled stats as follows: IQ 12, ME 6, MA 5, PS 15, PP 9, PE 7, PB 13, Spd 11. She still gets a roll for psionics, which we can take care of in chat next time or she can allow me to roll. Since she has two stats lower than 7 she may 1) add +7 to any ability other that ME or MA and either 2a) add +3 to one other ability besides ME, MA, or the ability chosen in 1), OR 2b) add +2 to Perception. Silverware opted for the point buy method.

The point buy method is thus: All stats start at 3 and you receive 60 points to raise them 1:1 to a maximum of 18. Any stat that is 16+ may be treated as "Exceptional right off the bat" per R:UE, page 279. If using the point buy method the character receives no "Bonus to Compensate for a Low Attribute" from R:UE, 282; this is because you have complete control over your stats with this method. You may buy minor psionics for 2 points or major psionics for 6 points but you do not get a roll for psionics if using the point buy method.

Since underclocked is playing a Psi-Stalker, stats will need to be rolled using the chat at some point. Psi-Stalkers have unusually high stats and racial abilities to compensate for the fact that they might get low rolls.

I will be available to chat next Friday, 7/29, from 12:00 to 14:00 (12 PM to 2 PM) CST (GMT -6). Between now and then feel free to get in touch with me by email.

I am still accepting players for this game. If you are interested please PM me or post here!

Downloads
    Uploads
    The stats I'm looking at going with would be
    IQ 13 ME 7 MA 8 PS 7 PP 13 PE 9 PB 10 Spd 17
    Which means I just need to do a single exceptional roll for my stats next time.
    And suggestions for better stat distribution?

Also current skill selection is :

OCC
    Computer Repair
    Computer Programming
    Computer Hacking
    Math: Advanced
    Pick Locks
    Cryptography
    Find Contraband
    ID Undercover Agents
    Climbing
    Acrobatics

Secondary
    Radio:Basic
    Electronic Countermeasures
    First Aid
    Basic Electronics
    Photography
    Literacy: Techno-Can
    Athletics: General
    W.P Knife
    Last edited by Silverware; 07-24-2011 at 02:29 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by airwalkrr View Post
    I will be available to chat next Friday, 7/29, from 12:00 to 14:00 (12 PM to 2 PM) CST (GMT -6). Between now and then feel free to get in touch with me by email.
    Yeah, sorry I missed last Friday, but I will be available this Friday so I'll see you in the chat room under the name "No-Neck Mauler" (a reference to WB11).
    Last edited by underclocked; 07-24-2011 at 03:19 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Almost got all my skills, but I do have a question.

Do we know each other? I ask that cause Silver has a skill set similar to the one I was originally working on. (I changed it btw) Still there is one skill I had, that I dropped that was kinda important to the character: Find Contraband. So if Silver has it and we know each other, then its ok, I can just use his contacts to sell my ill-gotten gains.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Silverware, is it really that important to have a good Spd score? You'll already have a decent Spd just for being a City Rat since they automatically gain Running. I would think something like PS, PP, PE, or IQ would be more important. Chances are you'll never outrun a juicer, crazy or 'borg anyway, but having the Running skill plus an average base Spd like 10 or 11 will mean you can outrun most other stuff. Your skill choices look good, although I don't know how well they fit with a smuggler. You said smuggler and I thought of Han Solo, a really smooth talker with a bit of technical skill, but it seems like you focused mostly on the technical side of things, which is fine, just not what I was expecting to see.

Dark Maiden, your characters will be acquaintances at the very least. Your reason for coming together will be to claim the bounty for Tarc. That 10,000 cred reward is so enticing you are all willing to work together, even if you don't know each other very well, to get it. If you would like for your characters to be close, that is fine as well. It would make perfect sense to have a couple of City Rats be close friends and members of the same gang or possibly members of rival gangs who somehow are willing to bridge the gap, even if its only to cooperate to get the reward.

There is nothing wrong with having a small number of duplicate skills. On some skills it might be handy to have a chance for at least two rolls. You can also collaborate together to have a better chance at success on a single roll. If you feel a skill is important to your character there is no need to drop it. If Dark Maiden and Silverware want to go with the concept of being good friends or at least having worked a job or two together, it would make sense that they have different specialties. Perhaps Dark Maiden is more of a charmer and Silverware is the techie. Although considering Dark Maiden's stat rolls she will already be at a minor penalty for some things with a low MA.

How you work the Psi-Stalker into things is up to you. Maybe you just happen to traffic in the same circles. Perhaps the Psi-Stalker has done some work with your gang before, maybe running down a troublesome D-Bee or practitioner of magic who threatened the gang, or perhaps you just needed a mercenary and he was the only one you could afford. It could even be a rather coincidental meeting. You advertised for a mercenary willing to split the reward three ways and he answered the call.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Maiden View Post
    (...) but I do have a question.

Do we know each other?
    Well, we could always say we replied to the same Craigslist ad... but, I kid. I have no problem saying that we happen to know one another. My back story has an older brother who ran with a gang, but was killed 8 years prior to the current events in game. It's possible that he ran with the gang you're currently in.

Also, having a high Spd stat isn't going to be a huge deal, especially since my psi-stalker starts with 4d6+6 AND has the Running and Athletics skill, so yeah. He'll be fast enough to maybe catch a slow juicer... (a possible 52 if I roll max)

So, here's the skills I took:
    (natural and OCC skills)
    Balance, WP Paired Weapons, Language: Native (American), Language: Spanish, Body Building, Climbing, Pilot: Hovercraft, Pilot: Hovercycles, Prowl, Sensory Equipment, Radio: Basic, Running, Weapon Systems, WP Energy Pistol, WP Energy Rifle, WP Shotgun, WP Knife, and Hand to Hand Expert
    (OCC related)
    Barter, Land Navigation, Streetwise, and Tracking (people)
    (secondary)
    Athletics, Basic Electronics, Basic Mechanics, First Aid, Gambling, General Maintenance & Repair, Jury-Rig, and Salvage (his nickname is "Fixer")

Here's my psionic powers:
    Sense Psychic & Magic Energy, Sense Supernatural Being, Clairvoyance, Empathy, Intuitive Combat, Mind Block, Object Read, See Aura, See the Invisible, and Telepathy.
    Last edited by underclocked; 07-24-2011 at 05:27 PM. Reason: Added all OCC skills/changed a secondary skill...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by underclocked View Post
    ...Well, we could always say we replied to the same Craigslist ad... but, I kid. I have no problem saying that we happen to know one another. My back story has an older brother who ran with a gang, but was killed 8 years prior to the current events in game. It's possible that he ran with the gang you're currently in.

Also, having a high Spd stat isn't going to be a huge deal, especially since my psi-stalker starts with 4d6+6 AND has the Running and Athletics skill, so yeah. He'll be fast enough to maybe catch a slow juicer... (a possible 52 if I roll max)...
    I have not rolled my bonus spds either. I'll be posting my skills-set in a bit.

---------- Post added at 03:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:48 PM ----------

Stats: 15; 6; 5; 19; 18; 11; 13; 11.

Skills:

OOC:
    Literate: Native
    Language: Native
    Language: Spanish
    Barter
    Computer Ops
    Streetwise
    Tailing
    Pilot: Auto
    Pilot: Bike
    Pilot: Motorbike
    Math: Basic
    Running
    W.P.: Knife
    HTH:MA

OOC RELATED:
    Picklocks
    Streetwise
    Concealment
    Prowl
    Safe Cracking
    Appraise Goods
    Acrobatics
    Gymnastics

SECONDARY:
    Aerobic Athletics
    Athletics
    Climbing
    Rope Work
    Mechanics: Basic
    Mechanics: Auto
    W.P. Quick Draw

So ya'll can get a feel for her, this is what she is about.

She's a Second Storyman (Uh....woman...lol). she's also a bit strange. Though she's 14, she kinda acts, when not on the job, like she's 8. (Thought some might claim younger then that, when she gets into a huff, and acts like she's in the middle of the Terrible Twos)

She's a big fan of money, she doesn't spend it, she just likes it. She has mood swings like you would never believe, and can go from reading a book, to balancing on a light post by one hand without warning.

Haven't come up with a name just yet but I will

Downloads
    Uploads
    Since we're getting into particulars about our characters, here's some of the "gritty" details about my psi-stalker: Derek "Fixer" Taylor.

He's fairly tall for a psi-stalker (6' 10") and somewhat lean (195 lbs). He's got pallid skin and dull-grey eyes. When not wearing armor he tends to show off his tattoos, large snakes that coil and dart across his arms. He currently lives in the area of the 'burbs called Center Court. Personality-wise, Derek is very gung-ho and typically looks at humans with indifference, unless they contain quite a bit of PPE or ISP, at which point they look tasty.

Like many of his brethren he prefers to hunt and kill his prey. He normally works at a repair shop that also owns a junkyard, but takes bounty work during his off-time (typically in areas like Tranquility or Mayhem). He's grown to love his semi-auto shotgun, which he's modified to be drum-fed, and uses it on unarmored bounties. Somewhat similar to most people, Derek likes money and is saving up for a used hovercycle, but usually uses it to fund his hobby.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The idea behind my character was that they smuggled small items, like data discs, and other small valuables, FAST. Im happy to change the idea to fit better. Maybe go with the charming rogue, rather than the fast smuggler.
    I haven't really got a set idea about the character yet, so its easy for me to switch it for something a little better suited.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverware View Post
    The idea behind my character was that they smuggled small items, like data discs, and other small valuables, FAST. Im happy to change the idea to fit better. Maybe go with the charming rogue, rather than the fast smuggler.
    I haven't really got a set idea about the character yet, so its easy for me to switch it for something a little better suited.
    I'm not one big on telling others how to make their characters, but.......lol. For a guy fixed on comps and all, and with the number and types of skills, IQ (with its bonus to skills) would suit you better. (Not to say being able to run away is not a good thing. LMAO)

Oh, just to add, there is nothing wrong with your concept. You can be smart and still run like hell when trouble comes or to get away fast after getting the goods.

---------- Post added at 07:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:00 AM ----------

Ok. Got a prob.

There is no discription of what Concealment is. I made he assumption that means hiding, but I took a look at palming, and it gives bonus to concealment. Now I can't figure out how that could be possible unless the kind of concealment they are talking about is like hiding something, as opposed to hiding yourself.

If that is the case, I might be replacing that skill.
    Last edited by Dark Maiden; 07-25-2011 at 07:04 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Maiden View Post
    Ok. Got a prob.

There is no discription of what Concealment is. I made he assumption that means hiding, but I took a look at palming, and it gives bonus to concealment. Now I can't figure out how that could be possible unless the kind of concealment they are talking about is like hiding something, as opposed to hiding yourself.

If that is the case, I might be replacing that skill.
    Concealment is on page 320, is for hiding objects, and has a base of 20% and +4% per level. Also, I noticed that you have Streetwise as an OCC skill and OCC related skill. I'm not sure if you're just trying to get an extra bonus, but otherwise you might want to think about changing that.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by underclocked View Post
    Concealment is on page 320, is for hiding objects, and has a base of 20% and +4% per level. Also, I noticed that you have Streetwise as an OCC skill and OCC related skill. I'm not sure if you're just trying to get an extra bonus, but otherwise you might want to think about changing that.
    Yeah, when I was going back over my skills and putting in the numbers i realized I double up on it by accident. I'll be replacing it with Pick Pockets.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Underclocked is right about Concealment. It is used for hiding objects. Thanks for pointing it out. Saved me a little time.

I've got some background worked out for you guys to fit in. If there is anything that you feel doesn't fit, let me know and we can adapt it.

Okay, Silverware, here are some details for your character. Your character (whom I will call Silverware for now) has done some work for a fellow known as Robert Street, who lives in Firetown. From time to time he has hired Silverware to do a pickup and cold drop of various pre-Rifts relics, usually books and digital media. He usually meets Silverware in Barter Square or Greenleaf Park to discuss the particulars of the deal. Street never receives items personally, always instructing Silverware to do a cold drop in a trash can, postal box, or similar area. But he has usually paid. On occasion, he will claim he never received the item and might pay Silverware a fraction of the expected amount as compensation for his trouble. Such is the hazard of the business.

DarkMaiden, here is some background for you to work in. When your character (whom I will call DarkMaiden for now) was found at age six, she was alone and badly burned. A Good Samaritan took her to one of the orphanages in Firetown, probably Camp Fireplace, but it could be another one such as the Banner Orphanage if you like. At some point, DarkMaiden ran away from the orphanage and took up with a gang called The Nest. Members of this gang refer to themselves as Nesters and have a close, almost-familial relationship with each other. The group is made up of humans and D-Bees alike, although all of them could pass for human. A boy called Pops is the unofficial leader of the bunch. Heís only about nineteen years old, but has grown up on the streets and has contacts all over the ĎBurbs. The eldest member of The Nest is a body-fixer called Doc whose actual age is unknown but definitely older than the teenagers who make up most of the rest of the group. All the Nesters know Doc is a D-Bee, but no one knows his exact origins and he appears completely human. One of the more persistent rumors is that Doc is an elf who had plastic surgery to make him appear more human, but he will neither confirm nor deny it. Most Nesters donít care to ask. The Nest often does the wrong thing for the right reason, stealing from the rich to give to the poor and such. Occasionally they do find themselves in more serious trouble. Silverware might also be a member of this group.

Underclocked, here is some information for your character. The shop that Fixer works at is called Jimboís Repair, and it is located in Stockyard. The owner, Jimbo, an old fellow who long ago gave up hopes of citizenship in Chi-Town, is pretty skilled at his craft, but lacks the expertise needed to work on many M.D.C. materials. His specialty is automotive repair, but he is also a skilled electrician and S.D.C. firearms maintenance man. Among his employees is a draymin named Chylot who seems to have exceptional skill in M.D.C. armor repair and little else. There is also a dwarf named Feyor who apparently owes Jimbo some sort of life-debt and works extremely long hours in the shop in exchange for minimal food and shelter and no pay. A couple of humans also work there. Mary Tyler is a middle-age woman who is a good electrician and knows how to service medical equipment, but not bionics or cybernetics. A man by the name of Sean has a specialty in body work and salvage. He is usually away from the shop scrounging up parts or making deals with other merchants for scrap. Fixer has a Psi-Stalker rival who has beaten him to the mark at more than one bounty. The Psi-Stalkerís name is Claymore, and the last time the two met Claymore practically stole the bounty from Fixer when the latter was wounded after a fight and too weak to protest. Claymore has tattooed his arms with enormous paired swords that run from the top of his shoulders down to a point on each of his middle fingers. He has swords tattooed on other parts of his body as well, including a large one that covers his left breast. Fixer has heard a rumor that Claymore used to be part of Psi-Battalion, but was discharged for unknown reasons.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast