Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
RIFTS Campaign Online - Chi-Town 'Burbs
Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Campaign Summary
Campaign Summary Genre: Post Apocalyptic
System Used: RIFTS
Style: 50% Roleplaying / 50% Combat
Current Players: 3
Desired # of Players: 4
Game Location N/A
Game Times Frequency: Biweekly
Days of Week: Friday
Online Game Details Online Game?: Yes
Online Software Used: Palladium Games Chat Room
Additional Options Looking for Players?: No
Online Game
(Palladium Games Chat Room)

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: RIFTS Campaign Online - Chi-Town 'Burbs

Downloads
    Uploads

(Recruiting!) RIFTS Campaign Online - Chi-Town 'Burbs

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Recruiting is open again to replace a couple of players. Post here for more information or send me a PM.

I am looking to start up a new Rifts game online. Here are the details. Let's see who's interested.

Venue: Chat Room. I believe the Palladium Books Chat Room will do nicely. I've used it before.
    Time: Either Wednesdays or Fridays from 13:00 to 17:00 (1 pm to 5 pm) CST (GMT -6). The meeting would be twice a month, the first and third week of each month.
    Start Date: Depends on interest. As soon as I have 3 or more reliable players we will begin regular game sessions. I will require an email contact from each player.
    Setting: Chi-Town 'Burbs circa. 109 PA. The campaign will be based on characters who live in or around the 'Burbs and have grown up or spent most of their lives there. Non-humans as well as magic-users and super psychics will face potential persecution from local CS forces or angry human mobs and may be forced to rely on the Black Market and face price hikes or taxes to acquire basic necessities.
    Characters: Players may be either human or humanoid SDC D-Bees who can pass for human. SDC D-Bee means the D-Bee has no natural MDC and no ability to deal MD without augmentation or MDC weapons. OCCs and starting equipment may be selected from the Rifts: Ultimate Edition core rulebook only, but other options may become available as the game progresses. OCCs will be limited to those of the Adventurers & Scholars, Psychics, Coalition Soldiers, the Merc Soldier, and the Mystic. Multiclassing may be available to take advantage of more powerful OCCs such as the Juicer or Ley Line Walker as the campaign progresses.
    House Rules: Very few. Of course a number of things may be open to interpretation. But I intend to keep things simple. I will be using the optional rules for Hit Point/S.D.C. Damage While Inside M.D.C. Armor on R:UE, page 355. I will also use an extrapolation of those rules allowing for SDC characters inside MDC armor to be damaged by the sheer force of SDC attacks at a ration of 1:7. For every 7 points of SDC damage, an SDC character inside MDC armor will take 1 point of SDC or HP damage (the MDC armor itself remains undamaged unless the total SDC damage is 100+ of course). Also, characters in MDC armor will take SDC damage at a 1:1 ratio from MD attacks; characters in MDC power armor will take SDC damage at a 1:2 ratio from MD attacks; and characters in MDC robots or vehicles will take SDC damage at a 1:3 ratio from MD attacks. (This last rule may be subject to change as it might be too punitive.)
    Tone: This is a relatively low-powered game focusing on life in the Chi-Town 'Burbs for brave characters of simple means and origins who dare to defy the Coalition by becoming literate, participating in the Black Market, practicing magic or unapproved psionics, promoting civil liberty and other things the CS would not generally approve of.

So who is interested? Let's see if we can start discussing character concepts, character motivations, and other interesting details to build a cast of characters. I'll get to the details of character creation (which will also be relatively simple) once I have some interest.

This thread has been cross-posted at the Forums of the Megaverse.

Point Buy Method: The point buy method is thus: All stats start at 3 and you receive 60 points to raise them 1:1 to a maximum of 18. Any stat that is 16+ may be treated as "Exceptional right off the bat" per R:UE, page 279. If using the point buy method the character receives no "Bonus to Compensate for a Low Attribute" from R:UE, 282; this is because you have complete control over your stats with this method. You may buy minor psionics for 2 points or major psionics for 6 points but you do not get a roll for psionics if using the point buy method.

Recruiting for this game is open again!
    Chat Session 1 - 2011-08-05
    Chat Session 2 - 2011-09-02
    Chat Session 5 - 2011-09-30
    Chat Session 6 - 2011-10-28
    Chat Session 7 - 2011-11-11
    Experience Chart
    Last edited by airwalkrr; 11-19-2011 at 01:45 AM. Reason: Adding Point Buy Rules

Downloads
    Uploads
    This sounds cool. I would be interested. Fridays would be th best for me. But I do not have a copy of the rulebooks. Nor have used the system before so I'll need some tutoring if I join up.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hey, it's totally been more than couple of years (let me do the actual calculations... about 8 years) since I've played Rifts, but I'll be willing to give it another chance. I've got a ton of the books in hard copy and I'll dust them off. 1st and 3rd Fridays work great for me since I play D&D on Wednesdays and Dark Heresy on the alternating Fridays. I'm going to toy around with the psi-stalker.
    Last edited by underclocked; 07-18-2011 at 08:08 PM. Reason: extra info...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Gods, I have not played Rifts, in nearly 12 years!

I don't think I have the book you refer to, if you have any idea where I can find it that would be cool.

I'm more up for the wens, time then fridays, but I'll work with whatever you want.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I know R:UE can be found on the Palladium Books website in hard copy. It is a nice hardcover with great art and a full game system in one reasonably-priced book. I highly recommend you get it. You can also PM me your email and I will help you get you whatever you need to start playing.

Silverware, glad to hear you are interested! RIFTS is actually a pretty easy game to play, mostly d20 and d% rolls, and I like to run it fast and loose. Character creation takes a while because there are a lot of options, but it is totally worth it. I will help guide you through it too. And I am pretty flexible with allowing players to swap out skills or options they chose at character creation but wish to change later as they learn more about the game, especially with new players.

Underclocked, welcome back to Palladium! The Psi-Stalker should make an excellent choice. They are very fascinating characters. Their psionic abilities are incredibly useful in a variety of situations. Plus there are many different ways to play them. Are you thinking about a CS Psi-Stalker or a wild Psi-Stalker? Characters in this campaign should be expected to be dissenters within the CS, so if you want to play a CS Psi-Stalker, it would work best if you were either AWOL and hiding in the 'Burbs or a character who exists within an organization he has lost faith in and seeks to reform or radically change.

Dark Maiden, glad to hear you are interested. RIFTS has undergone a few changes since you last played, starting with the release of the Ultimate Edition in 2001. It's really more like RIFTS 1.5 than RIFTS 2.0 though. It's backwards compatible with all previous material though (one of the things I love about Palladium). As I said above, RIFTS: Ultimate Edition, the new core book, can be ordered directly through their website or by requesting it from your FLGS.

Everyone PM me your emails and let me know what you hope to get out of the game (e.g. quality roleplaying, character advancement, wealth, power, action, exploration, etc.), as well as any private background details you might want to discuss about your characters. I will try to work such details into the campaign. Please feel free to start discussing your character concepts on this thread. Your characters will already know each other when the campaign begins so it wouldn't hurt to know a bit about each other ahead of time. Your characters will all be associated with an underground group such as the Tarnits or a Retribution Squad (details on either aren't necessary at this point; sufficient to say your characters will be outlaws) so bear that in mind when creating your characters.

So far it looks like Friday is the best day.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well seeing as its quiet.
    I've grabbed a copy of the R:UE rulebook and been looking through a bit.
    Looking at making a city rat, smuggling small items, like books, and information.
    Little to no combat ability, instead relies on running away fast.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm so hyped to play a Crazie. It's the one OOC I have never tried. (BTW, did a recal on how long it's been since I played. Turns out I underestimated. It's been more like 18 years. LMAO)

Oh darn!

Just looked back at the OP and saw that Crazies are not an option. Poo. ah well, back to the book. LOL

Last edited by Dark Maiden; 07-20-2011 at 11:30 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    A City Rat will be a good fit for this campaign, it being all about living in the Chi-Town 'Burbs of course.

As a City Rat, your character is likely to be a member of a gang in the 'Burbs. You could just play a loner though, but we will work out some gang contacts for your character either way. I like the idea of a smuggler of information. You should probably choose to focus on Communications and Technical skills, maybe with a focus on hacking and computer-related skills. Of course, as a smuggler, some Rogue skills will come in handy too, as well as Prowl.

Underclocked is working on a Psi-Stalker. I'll let him post his ideas here so you can compare notes.

---------- Post added at 11:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:24 AM ----------

Crazy is not going to be allowed as an OCC to begin with, but MOM enhancement will be available for your character to multiclass as a Crazy as soon as your character can afford it or make some deal to have it done, like signing up to be a regular for one of the kingdoms with the capability, like Kingsdale or MercTown. I really like Crazies too, so I will definitely make it available.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by airwalkrr View Post
    A City Rat will be a good fit for this campaign, it being all about living in the Chi-Town 'Burbs of course.

As a City Rat, your character is likely to be a member of a gang in the 'Burbs. You could just play a loner though, but we will work out some gang contacts for your character either way. I like the idea of a smuggler of information. You should probably choose to focus on Communications and Technical skills, maybe with a focus on hacking and computer-related skills. Of course, as a smuggler, some Rogue skills will come in handy too, as well as Prowl.

Underclocked is working on a Psi-Stalker. I'll let him post his ideas here so you can compare notes.

---------- Post added at 11:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:24 AM ----------

Crazy is not going to be allowed as an OCC to begin with, but MOM enhancement will be available for your character to multiclass as a Crazy as soon as your character can afford it or make some deal to have it done, like signing up to be a regular for one of the kingdoms with the capability, like Kingsdale or MercTown. I really like Crazies too, so I will definitely make it available.
    Yeah, just read that in the OP. It's cool, it will be even more fun working up to being crazy enough to want to become a Crazie.

Downloads
    Uploads
    So, I ventured into my garage and dug out my old first-print Rifts UE book and got down to working. I did notice that they added in some of the stuff from WB13: Lone Star for the psi-stalkers which make them a bit more likeable. So, my psi-stalker is going to be a gung-ho, civilized mercenary who looks out for himself above all else (unprincipled alignment) and has a long history in the 'burbs. He's still young, but has been successful in being a bounty hunter, mainly of magic users, psychics, d-bees, and supernatural creatures. I've got a three paragraph back story worked out, but could probably be expanded into a full page if I took the time.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Make sure your background isn't too thorough or too exaggerated. Remember you will be a 1st-level character who is relatively young and inexperienced. If he's had success as a bounty hunter so far, it has probably been against relatively weak targets, the kind that get you no more than 500 creds apiece, or he may have gotten lucky (depending on how you roll for starting creds).

I like the way the group is looking so far. We have a City Rat, a Psi-Stalker, and a guy who wants to become a Crazy (Dark Maiden has indicated to me an interest in playing a Vagabond or a City Rat). Incidentally, I don't think having two City Rats would be a problem, especially if you discuss your skill selections with each other and try to avoid excessive overlap. But then, even if there was some overlap, I might let you coordinate with each other, giving each other greater chances for success, so you might just be super-specialized in some areas.

Teaser: Your first mission will involve claiming a bounty on an individual known as "Tarc." It appears "Tarc" has been forging black market credit chips and falsifying other financial records apparently by hacking into bank systems remotely. So far his work has been small and doesn't amount to much, but he is gaining a lot of street cred (no pun intended) for his work. He is wanted by the Black Market, dead or alive. Of course, no one knows exactly who "Tarc" is, so the difficult task of linking the alias to the person will be part of ensuring you actually get to claim your bounty. This fact does not seem lost on the Black Market, which is offering a staggering 10,000 credits for his capture, which is more than the average juicer earns in a month.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by airwalkrr View Post
    Make sure your background isn't too thorough or too exaggerated. Remember you will be a 1st-level character who is relatively young and inexperienced. If he's had success as a bounty hunter so far, it has probably been against relatively weak targets, the kind that get you no more than 500 creds apiece, or he may have gotten lucky (depending on how you roll for starting creds).
    Don't worry, I'm not making the background too crazy. It mainly has to do with family members since that's the major influence on his life ambitions. I figure the bounties he's collected so far have gotten him some of his gear, especially the MD weapons he gets as standard equipment, also helping the reason as to why he's still pretty poor...

Downloads
    Uploads
    10k WOW!!!!!

Ok, I'm assuming its ok to start working on the character now?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Maiden View Post
    Ok, I'm assuming its ok to start working on the character now?
    If it is, then I'm on board.

---------- Post added at 07:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:55 PM ----------

Quick question about the Palladium chat rooms: how does the dice rolling work there? I tried using the links listed on their website but they keep going to a 404 error page.

Downloads
    Uploads
    First off, I will be available this Friday, July 22, from 12:00 to 13:00 CST (GMT -6) on the Palladium Books Chat Room (linked in the OP) to answer any questions players have about the game and character creation. My screen name at Forums of the Megaverse is SamtheDagger (a Rifts reference for your Rifts grognards). You'll need a Forums of the Megaverse account to use the chat room IIRC, so go ahead and sign up for one if you don't already have one. For the time being the Palladium Books Chat Room will also be where I host the game, although we might discuss using some kind of online gaming software in the future if it is more convenient.

Underclocked, if you got a 404 error page it might have been because you weren't signed in with a Forums of the Megaverse account. That's my best guess.

Dice rolling in the Palladium Books Chat Room is very simple. The formula is /roll xdy+z where x is the number of dice, y is the type of die (20-sided would be y=20) and z is any modifier to the roll (if applicable). The "+z" portion is not necessary if you just roll a straight die without modifiers.

You are free to start working on your characters. I encourage you to discuss plans for OCC Related Skills and Secondary Skills with your other players to decide what your group will focus on and what you will leave out. Even with three players though there is room to fill out the most important niches. First, it would be good to have some focused on Communications skills and Rogue skills (preferably someone who likes to roleplay). Second it would be good to have someone focused on Technical Skills, including computer skills and/or repair and salvage; it could also be focused on Mechanical and Electrical skills although that would be best for someone who wants to play an Operator. Finally, someone with a handful of Medical skills and Science skills for biological problems, not least of which is keeping injured allies alive. I would also recommend having at least one character with each History and Lore skill, even if they are only Secondary Skills; that is a total of 10 skills (2 History + 8 Lore) though and some are more important than others so you might just want to prioritize. Of tertiary importance is someone with a handful of Wilderness skills, but these are far from necessary as you could easily hire an NPC guide for those occasions when you leave the 'Burbs. These are merely recommendations though. You don't HAVE to have them, but it is a good benchmark to shoot for.

Character generation is basically as simple as it is laid out in the book. If you are a human, you can opt to roll your stats as laid out on R:UE, page 279 or you can use a point-buy generation method. The point-buy generation method is pretty simple too. All stats start at 3 and you receive 60 points to add on a point-for-point basis. If you choose the point-buy option you don't receive the benefit of the "Bonus to Compensate for a Low Attribute" from R:UE, page 282 since you have complete control over where your points go. You DO gain the benefit of bonus rolls for "Exceptional right off the bat" stats from R:UE, page 279 though. Races other than human (such as our Psi-Stalker, which is a mutant human) must roll stats and do not receive "Exceptional right off the bat" bonuses for any stat that is not a simple 3D6 roll, nor do they gain the "Bonus to Compensate for a Low Attribute." It is assumed that racial traits and abilities make up for any potential deficiency.

I would like to briefly note that Palladium is not a system in which stats are your most important aspects of your character. Unlike D&D where a large number of your abilities are derived from your stats, Palladium is more skills-focused. So the stats play a relatively minor role in determining your characters' abilities. So don't fret if it doesn't "feel" like you have good stats. A character with a smart skill selection and low stats will out-perform a character with amazing stats and poor skill selection the vast majority of the time. And as I have mentioned before, I will be happy to allow you to swap skills from time-to-time if you feel you aren't getting much use out of a skill or just made a couple of poor decisions, especially if you are new to the game.

Again, I will happily answer any questions in the chat room tomorrow. Plus you can email me your questions or post them here if you like.
    Last edited by airwalkrr; 07-21-2011 at 11:29 AM.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast