Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Campaign Setting

Downloads
    Uploads

Campaign Setting

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    I once played a campaign setting where every aspect of character creation was dice rolled.
    your race, class, looks, history, flaws, and such. everything.

Does anyone know what it is?

It was great, one guy ended up some red headed step child abused by aunt and uncle. He ended up a cook, on a ship, yet suffered from a fear of water. One guy ended up a yeoman, which i guess was like a fighter...
    It was like 6-7 years ago, so I cant remember what it was.

I'm pretty sure it was a D&D based campaign, I think we used the normal D&D char sheets and all.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Hel View Post
    I once played a campaign setting where every aspect of character creation was dice rolled.

Does anyone know what it is?

It was great, one guy ended up some red headed step child abused by aunt and uncle. He ended up a cook, on a ship, yet suffered from a fear of water. One guy ended up a yeoman, which i guess was like a fighter...
    It was like 6-7 years ago, so I cant remember what it was.

I'm pretty sure it was a D&D based campaign, I think we used the normal D&D char sheets and all.
    Sounds homebrew.

Warhammer has you roll for careers. Cyberpunk and Traveller have extensive lifepath systems for char gen (but they're not fantasy per se). Famously, in Traveller, you can even die before the game begins. You can't die in Cyberpunk, you can just end up maimed, wanted and despised by most of the population. Death ... that comes later.

If I recall, there have been a number of 3rd party supplements through out the years that have taken a Traveller-esque life path system and applied it to D&D with varying degrees of success. But the name of those products are eluding me at this moment.

Gary

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thats what I figured. I've been looknig for ever, and never found anything.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Sounds wild, whatever it is. And, I seem to remember being able to die during character generation in an early edition of Cyberpunk. I could have sworn that I remembered seeing that on a chart somewhere in that game.
    Robert A. Howard
    Pen & Paper Games
    Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Farcaster View Post
    Sounds wild, whatever it is. And, I seem to remember being able to die during character generation in an early edition of Cyberpunk. I could have sworn that I remembered seeing that on a chart somewhere in that game.

I know that in the DC Universe RPG, you can die (technically it's becoming "One" with the Speed Force, but SSDD) if you end up with Speed Manipulation at a high enough level.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah, in cyberpunk, you could die in creation. This version that I played you couldn't but it had pretty much everything else in it. You could be retarded, or your whole family could be, or you could have been sold as a baby, or any other crazy idea you can think of. You had a list of phobias, and you could roll on it ten times and be scared of just about everything...

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Warhammer FRP 2e and Hackmaster both fit a good chunk of that bill

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    In Marvel Super Heroes RPG, you can roll up every aspect of your character. Skills, Flaws (in some supplement), Powers, Personality, Contacts, etc.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I remember a D&D (maybe AD&D) adventure where you start out as 0 level nobodys on a slave ship and your action decided what your class and alignment were when you made 1st level. A simple orc is the God of Death himself when you are 0 level, lol...

I don't think I have seen the one you are describing...

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I never understood the point of that in any game system. Why give a chance of death while making the character? It defeats the entire point of making the character.

I also prefer a system that let me choose. I don't like rolling for everything in existence. What if I don't want to play a one eyed super genius with a fear of bunny rabbits?

A few die rolls are fine. But give me options, not random chance, and leave out the dying at creation, it is just a waste of time, and it is not any fun.

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    The Dean of Old School
    The Olde Phoenix Inn
    Metro Detroit Linux Users Group

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I disagree. sometimes it's a great way to light the mood or just for a break in a main champaign. One of my old groups did something like that. I DM made characters for all of us that where totally outside of what we were used to playing. It was only for on night but we all had a good time nd it did challenge all of us. We agreed it was good for all of us.
    Q: How many Call of Cthulhu players does it take to change a light bulb?
    A: All of them, because you never, EVER split the party!

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can change, and the weaponry to make the difference.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think that it would be fun to get a randomly generated character sometimes. I don't think I'd want to play that way all the time, but then I can just play a more standard RPG.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Actually, wouldn't a pregen character that comes with a module be considered the same as rolling for every aspect of a character? Some even come with premade background information, though it is usually tied in with the story of the module.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by cplmac View Post
    Actually, wouldn't a pregen character that comes with a module be considered the same as rolling for every aspect of a character? Some even come with premade background information, though it is usually tied in with the story of the module.
    Yes, I never use them if I am using a module. The only place I hand out pregens is a convention, and that is about the only place I'm willing to play them. Time constraints take precedent over my preferences.

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    The Dean of Old School
    The Olde Phoenix Inn
    Metro Detroit Linux Users Group

Downloads
    Uploads
    That actually sounds a bit like Hackmaster. I have never played but I know two or three people that do. They like to tell me that D&D chars got it easy, Hack Chars can die before you even play them in a game.
    Never trust a smiling GM, that's when they're dangerous.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast