Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Thread: Some Dave's Games Models

Downloads
    Uploads

Some Dave's Games Models

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    I've picked up some of Dave's Games terrain, which are PDF models, let's you print out as many of them as you want to build.

Instead of building them the normal way, printing them on cardstock, I decided that I'd print the building walls on regular paper, attach them to foamcore using spray adhesive and then hot glue them together. Gives me a much sturdier building. The group of buildings that are in these photos have the roofs attached to Pepsi carton cardboard, but I've tried using cardstock for the backing on the roof of a building I'm currently working on and am going to start doing them that way from now on.

I'm basing the buildings on MDF and then painting and flocking it with various model railroad terrain products and even some fish tank gravel for rocks. On with the pictures.

Forgot to mention, the sign that's on the pub is removable, I created it my computer and then glued it to Pepsi carton cardboard, attached it to a round toothpick and glued a small magnet to the end. There's also a magnet on the building which allows me to change the sign out, or it will when I get some more signs made!

I still have to paint the toothpick part, going to paint it a dark brown color.
    Skunk
    a.k.a. Johnprime

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Very nice. I need to build me some more.

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    The Dean of Old School
    The Olde Phoenix Inn
    Metro Detroit Linux Users Group

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Good job. Back in the old days they were free. They didn't have different options as for the layers they now have. One suggestion, use a marker to edge them. I use several different colors on mine, but just using a black Sharpie works well enough.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks!

Yeah, the white you're seeing is because of the white foamcore underneath and the underside of the laser prints hanging past the foamcore a smidge, I need to get a good sharp point marker because the laser paper that has the image printed on it makes it harder to reach the edges of the foamcore. Black Sharpie doesn't quite get down in there for some reason!

I also have to finish the walks, I've got model railroad track ballast that I need to put down on them as a gravel area rather than dirt, the brown paint of the base. Then I need to go back after that has set up and spray dull coat over the bases, using a piece of cardstock to protect the printed areas.
    Skunk
    a.k.a. Johnprime

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I usually paint the edges of foamcore with acrylics. Small brushes, cheaps ones and craft acrylics. You can get places that sharpies cannot reach and the paint doesn't react to the foamcore.

The Dean of Old School
    The Olde Phoenix Inn

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Last year I found black foamcore on sale at Michale's. Same price as the white stuff. Now, to use it. lol

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Black and a couple of other colors, Jo Ann is my source. But same stuff.

The Dean of Old School
    The Olde Phoenix Inn

Downloads
    Uploads
    The white foamcore I'm using I got from Dollar Tree, for $1 a sheet! Yeah, it's a little thinner than what you get at Michaels, but I figured, for $1 a sheet, I'd be fine with coloring the edges.

Interestingly enough tesral, I had started painting the edges with acrylics! LOL!
    Skunk
    a.k.a. Johnprime

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    For terrain I would get that too. You don't have to be able to stand on the stuff. Note to self, take my own advice and look outside the box. I don't get into dollar stores very often. It seems I should.

The Dean of Old School
    The Olde Phoenix Inn