Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 346

Thread: Worm Delve Discussion

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bellevue
    Posts
    2,824
    Blog Entries
    32
    Downloads
    15
    Uploads
    0

    Worm Delve Discussion

    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    OOC Post #1 for Worm Delve
    This post complements the first Worm Delve main post. Players' posts in either thread are due by 11 pm, Tuesday, June 24th. The next OOC main post will appear by 11 pm, Thursday, June 26th.


    Noxias casts the silencing ritual and takes first watch, followed by Rogur, Konstansz, and finally Yrisz. The night passes without incident. As she did before, Pradize returns on the next day, this time at dawn, as the party is rousing itself. The day starts cool and cloudy, but quickly turns muggy. The next several hours are spent trekking through the forest until, in the mid-afternoon, the event described in the main post occurs.
    Last edited by Umiushi; 06-23-2014 at 06:37 AM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Mountlake Terrace
    Age
    45
    Posts
    1,335
    Blog Entries
    4
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Wait, you mean stuff keeps happening in the world even if we're not there? That seems to contradict my "Rogur is the center of the Universe" theory I've been working on this whole time. Sounds like I've got me some thinking to do.

    If we have no further action until we stop for the evening, I'm comfortable with the same watch schedule as previously, unless Nox would like to trade watches with Rogur.

    Umiushi, as we go, I'd be interested in hearing something of Pradize's story. I'd assume Yrisz would pry it out of her, but since Ithelryn is currently indisposed, perhaps we can assume the constant rain of questions and have Pradize respond in the story thread?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bellevue
    Posts
    2,824
    Blog Entries
    32
    Downloads
    15
    Uploads
    0

    OOC Post #2 for Worm Delve

    This post complements the second Worm Delve main post. Players' posts in either thread are due by 11 pm, Saturday, June 28th. The next OOC main post will appear by 11 am, Monday, June 30th.
    Quote Originally Posted by Palpatim View Post
    . . .
    Umiushi, as we go, I'd be interested in hearing something of Pradize's story. I'd assume Yrisz would pry it out of her, but since Ithelryn is currently indisposed, perhaps we can assume the constant rain of questions and have Pradize respond in the story thread?
    Yrisz might be able to, at that, but Pradize is surprisingly good at keeping her mouth shut when she feels like it. For every specific question you are interested in, have Yrisz (or someone else) make a Diplomacy Check. Yrisz's Diplomacy skill is an impressive +10. Pradize will keep talking until the party accumulates six "failure points." A failed Diplomacy check results in a gain of two failure points.

    There is certain information Pradize is happy to reveal. As long as the party hasn't accumulated six failure points, if such a topic is brought up, then Pradize will answer automatically, and the roll won't be treated as a failure, no matter what the result is. There are also topics that Pradize will respond badly too. Bringing one of those up will automatically result in two failure points and the accompanying Diplomacy check is ignored.

    You cannot determine in advance a list of topics that will be automatic successes or failures, but the questioner can try to find out whether a specific, known subject will rub Pradize the wrong way or not before it's brought up. To do so, make an Insight Check. Yrisz's Insight is +11. The same character who converses with Pradize must be the one to make an Insight Check. An Insight Check will automatically reveal whether the next question is an automatic success or failure, but a low result means Pradize notices the prying, earning the party one failure point.

    Once the party has six failure points, Pradize will get annoyed with what she feels is badgering, and she will stop providing any incidental information.

    Other characters besides the primary questioner can make Aid Another rolls to assist. As usual, any Aid Another roll must be declared before the targeted roll is made. For this challenge, on a 14 or higher, the Aid Another check will grant a +2 bonus; and on a 13 or less, it will inflict a -1 penalty on the targeted Skill Check. Low Aid Another checks are not treated as failures.

    Summary

    • Come up with one or more specific questions about Pradize.
    • When the party accumulates six failure points, Pradize won't divulge any more information.
    • Aid Another
      • Must be declared before the targeted roll is made.
      • 14+ gives a +2 bonus to the primary skill check
      • 13 - gives a -1 penalty to the primary skill check

    • Optionally, use Insight to determine if Pradize is willing to reveal information about the next topic that is to be discussed.
      • Any Result - the character learns Pradize's willingness to answer.
      • Low Result - the party gains one failure point.

    • Attempt to gain information from Pradize
      • Automatic success if Pradize is willing to answer.
      • Automatic failure if Pradize is unwilling to answer.
      • Otherwise make a Diplomacy Check.
        • If Insight was used, the same character must make the Diplomacy Check.
        • Success - Pradize reveals information to the party.
        • Failure - Pradize refuses to reveal information and the party gains two failure points.



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Mountlake Terrace
    Age
    45
    Posts
    1,335
    Blog Entries
    4
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Oh my, I was just thinking of making conversation to pass the time on the journey, but if it's a challenge, I'm up for that. Topics I'm interested in:

    * How did Pradize meet Cresta?
    * What exactly is Pradize, in terms of her job function, not her race or species so much, unless they happen to be closely intertwined? Is it part of her job to police the forest?
    * How and when did Vlavoi get a homunculus? Is it odd to see such a proliferation of homunculi around?

    As usual, Rogur isn't going to be much help with straight up Diplomacy. Since Ithelryn isn't around, does anybody else want to take lead on the actual conversation? Rogur is happy to aid with a couple of his not-horrible skills:

    * Perception: see if anything about Pradize suggests a segue to the topic we're interested in ("My, that's a lovely cloak. Do all the people who have your job wear it?")
    * Bluff: Help phrase the conversation in such a way that it doesn't look like we're prying. ("...and that's how I met the beautiful shaman's daughter who tried to stab me with a spear. You have any interesting stories to pass the time?")

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Issaquah
    Posts
    953
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Nox makes 4 aid another rolls:

    * Aid Another *

    * Aid Another *

    * Aid Another *

    * Aid Another *
    Last edited by Malk0lm; 06-27-2014 at 11:30 AM. Reason: Och... sorry about that. Better save your most pointed question for last.

    Dice Result History - [Hide]
    06-27-2014 11:29 AM
    Aid Another: 1d20 (12)
    Aid Another: 1d20 (3)
    Aid Another: 1d20 (4)
    Aid Another: 1d20 (16)
    Ariellana, Noxias, and Yrisz that one time...
    Quote:
    "It seems to Noxias that the mere act of perceiving her in her decrepitude is enough to draw forth the mortality in his body."
    Translation: "Damn girl, you fugly."

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bellevue
    Posts
    2,824
    Blog Entries
    32
    Downloads
    15
    Uploads
    0

    Worm Delve Main Post #3

    This is the third main post for Worm Delve. Players' posts in either thread are due by 11 pm, Tuesday, July 1st. The next main post will appear by 11 pm, Thursday, July 3rd.

    I'm coming off of a very busy week, so this post is more abbreviated than I would prefer. However, let's use this lull as an opportunity to get all the rolling for this skill challenge out of the way. We can proceed with that, now that it looks like the party will continue on to Izzmarg.

    Ithelryn and Cutopia have been busy lately due to their own personal issues. I will be checking up on them this week, but for now, please roll for both of them as you wish. Konstansz has a Diplomacy of +5 and an Insight of +6, and Yrisz's relevant skills were listed in OOC Post #2. I will take Noxias's Aid Another checks in the same order as Rogur's list of five proposed questions.

    Concerning skill substitutions, both of the ones Palpatim suggested are allowable. Perception can be used to replace Insight for an Aid Another check, but only once. Bluff can be used to replace Diplomacy for an Aid Another check as much as desired, but the failure of a Bluff check used to Aid Another results in a -3 penalty to the subsequent Diplomacy check, not a -1.

    After you have completed the skill challenge, I will provide the results and when the party rests for the night, in Main Post #4. Also, please roll initiative for everyone. Konstansz and Yrisz both have an initiative modifier of +2. I will use the results for the next combat that occurs.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Mountlake Terrace
    Age
    45
    Posts
    1,335
    Blog Entries
    4
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    OK, here goes. Since I'm rolling all these in a bunch, please assume we use the following flow chart:

    • Questions are proposed in the following order, subject to Yrisz' particular idioms of language, of course
      1. How did Pradize meet Cresta?
      2. What exactly is Pradize, in terms of her job function, not her race or species so much, unless they happen to be closely intertwined?
      3. Is it part of her job to police the forest?
      4. How and when did Vlavoi get a homunculus?
      5. Is it odd to see such a proliferation of homunculi around?

    • For questions where we don't know Pradize's predisposition to answer (e.g., the first question), we'll use the Aid Another roll from Noxias, a Bluff Aid Another roll from Rogur, and Yrisz' Insight roll for the primary. (Since Rogur's Bluff and Perception skill modifiers are identical, we'll use Bluff since it's repeatable and therefore easier to track asynchronously.)
    • After each question, Yrisz will roll Insight to see if the next question is something Pradize is open to answering.
      • If Pradize is open to answering the next question, ask it.
      • If Pradize is not open to answering the next question, skip it in favor of the next question, and repeat the process as a question we don't know Pradize's predisposition for.

    • If I'm reading the challenge rules correctly, since we're checking Pradize's predisposition after each question, that means there are a maximum of 3 questions for which we will not know Pradize's predisposition: #1, #3, and #5 (i.e., we ask #1, P is not willing to talk about #2, we ask #3, she's not willing to talk about #4, we ask #5). Similarly, we will only need to ascertain Pradize's predisposition for a maximum of 4 questions: #2-#5 (assuming P is willing to talk about each topic).
    • So this boils down to a single roll set for each question, where a roll set comprises either Noxias & Rogur's Aids to Yrisz' primary roll; or Yrisz' Insight roll to ascertain her willingness to speak.


    Unknown question 1:
    Noxias' aid another #1
    * Rogur - Bluff - Aid Another *

    * Yrisz - Diplomacy - Main roll *


    Unknown question 2:
    Noxias' aid another #2
    * Rogur - Bluff - Aid Another *

    * Yrisz - Diplomacy - Main roll *


    Unknown question 3:
    Noxias' aid another #3
    * Rogur - Bluff - Aid Another *

    * Yrisz - Diplomacy - Main roll *


    Ascertaining Pradize's predisposition to discuss topics:
    * Yrisz - Insight - 1. Is Pradize open to the next question? *

    * Yrisz - Insight - 2. Is Pradize open to the next question? *

    * Yrisz - Insight - 3. Is Pradize open to the next question? *

    * Yrisz - Insight - 4. Is Pradize open to the next question? *

    Dice Result History - [Hide]
    06-30-2014 10:10 AM
    Rogur - Bluff - Aid Another: 1d20 (7)+ 9 (9) = 16
    Yrisz - Diplomacy - Main roll: 1d20 (13)+ 10 (10) = 23
    Rogur - Bluff - Aid Another: 1d20 (7)+ 9 (9) = 16
    Yrisz - Diplomacy - Main roll: 1d20 (6)+ 10 (10) = 16
    Rogur - Bluff - Aid Another: 1d20 (8)+ 9 (9) = 17
    Yrisz - Diplomacy - Main roll: 1d20 (3)+ 10 (10) = 13
    Yrisz - Insight - 1. Is Pradize open to the next question?: 1d20 (13)+ 11 (11) = 24
    Yrisz - Insight - 2. Is Pradize open to the next question?: 1d20 (7)+ 11 (11) = 18
    Yrisz - Insight - 3. Is Pradize open to the next question?: 1d20 (15)+ 11 (11) = 26
    Yrisz - Insight - 4. Is Pradize open to the next question?: 1d20 (1)+ 11 (11) = 12

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Issaquah
    Posts
    953
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Also Yrisz should ask about the "dungeon" we are going toward.

    Who will we meet? (The title of this thread is not making me feel too comfortable, although I prefer the alternate spelling of wyrm.)
    What is guarding the stash?
    Is this the sort of party that we need to bring our own torches too? I think everyone has low-light vision except for Yrisz (maybe Rogur?)

    Let me assume that the only contentious question is who or what is guarding the sash so I'll only roll for that question.

    * Yrisz Insight; Safe to ask the question *

    * Yrisz Diplomacy *

    * Nox's aid another *

    Dice Result History - [Hide]
    07-01-2014 11:24 AM
    Yrisz Insight; Safe to ask the question: 1d20 (5)+ 11 (11) = 16
    Yrisz Diplomacy: 1d20 (8)+ 10 (10) = 18
    Nox's aid another: 1d20 (6)
    Ariellana, Noxias, and Yrisz that one time...
    Quote:
    "It seems to Noxias that the mere act of perceiving her in her decrepitude is enough to draw forth the mortality in his body."
    Translation: "Damn girl, you fugly."

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Mountlake Terrace
    Age
    45
    Posts
    1,335
    Blog Entries
    4
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Malk0lm View Post
    Is this the sort of party that we need to bring our own torches too? I think everyone has low-light vision except for Yrisz (maybe Rogur?)
    Correct, Yrisz and Rogur are both human and have normal vision.

    Yrisz at one point had an everburning torch, but I'm not sure whether she still does.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Issaquah
    Posts
    953
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    I can use my light too but if we are separated then that wouldn't be much use to everyone.
    Ariellana, Noxias, and Yrisz that one time...
    Quote:
    "It seems to Noxias that the mere act of perceiving her in her decrepitude is enough to draw forth the mortality in his body."
    Translation: "Damn girl, you fugly."

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Mountlake Terrace
    Age
    45
    Posts
    1,335
    Blog Entries
    4
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Given our performance on these past few encounters, if we are separated, then we are--how you say? ah, yes--"hosed."

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bellevue
    Posts
    2,824
    Blog Entries
    32
    Downloads
    15
    Uploads
    0

    OOC Post #4 for Worm Delve

    This post complements the fourth Worm Delve main post. Players' posts in either thread are due by 11 pm, Saturday, July 5th. The next OOC main post will appear by 11 am, Monday, June 7th.

    Please roll initiative and state what you're wielding.

    What I meant to describe in the skill challenge is that for each question that is asked, there needs to be a Diplomacy Check, which can optionally be prefaced with an Insight Check to see how likely it is that Pradize is going to give a free answer.

    The upshot is that you earned five failure points, so you successfully managed to get all of your questions answered. None of your questions were ones she automatically wouldn't answer, so you got a response to all of them. These are the answers she provides throughout the day.

    How did Pradize meet Cresta?


    "Cresta was traveling between Beilston and the monastery often. I know everyone who comes and goes along that route. Most are too dull to bother with, or simply too scared and mistrusting, but Cresta and I got along right away. She was very reasonable and had many interesting facts to share with me. I applaud people who tell me interesting facts. It relieves the monotony of dwelling in a forest where the only other civilized people are terrified of you or are Vlavoi."

    What exactly is Pradize, in terms of her job function, not her race or species so much, unless they happen to be closely intertwined?

    "I just make my home here. Unless you're overly fond of chatting with birds and small woodland creatures, you can't be too picky about who you associate with. Eventually, you start to keep an eye out for possible dangers, like, say, someone breaching the seal of the Montane, not that you expect it's ever going to happen."

    Is it part of her job to police the forest?

    "You make it sound like I serve someone," she snaps.

    How and when did Vlavoi get a homunculus?

    "Cresta gave her to him, of course. Your curiosity about Mila got me to thinking that you weren't such good friends with Cresta as you would have had me believe. I remember it wasn't all that long ago, just in early spring, in fact. We were at the two-sided stream one day shortly after it had thawed, and while we were baiting the old troll, I was complaining to her that Vlavoi had eaten a pair of rassophores without my permission. I was just asking her whether she thought his flesh would be too rancid for the wolf pack when she suggested trying to draw out more of his protective nature. The thought of Vlavoi having a protective nature was so hilarious, I told her she could do whatever she wished, and some weeks later, she presented him with Mila.

    "It didn't really work that well. Actually, he took to using her as bait to draw out more victims. I should have turned that into a wager, yes; I was right about Vlavoi not having a protective nature."

    Is it odd to see such a proliferation of homunculi around?


    She looks pained. "What do you think?"

    Who will we meet? / Who guards the stash?

    "Whether you meet the mercenaries excavating the ruins is up to you, but if you decide to encounter them, you had better be more convincing than you were with me. Unlike me, they have a reason to distrust strangers and have no immediate use for you. Also, a few weeks ago, they fought off an attack by the brethren from the Temple of Lightning's Spear and a few other people. Before you ask, no, I don't know why the disciples from the temple and their allies marched all the way up here to attack that expedition, nor do I know why the mercenaries seemed to be prepared for the attack in advance. I would love to find out, but doing so is currently beyond my means.

    "Setting the problematic mercenaries aside, the only other living creatures you're likely to find on the island are rats and bats, mostly infesting the ruins of Izzmarg Fortress. It the ones that aren't living you need to watch out for. I've only tried to intrude upon the wizard's lair once. From what I recall, it was filled with disembodied guardian spirits, animated skeletons, and there was a covered pit trap. Worse, I had the impression of a strange magic that shifts space, rather like the two-sided stream. I don't normally lose my way, but that trip was filled with nothing but wrong turns and misremembered routes."

    Do we need any light?

    "The place is going to be completely unlit, of course."

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Mountlake Terrace
    Age
    45
    Posts
    1,335
    Blog Entries
    4
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Hi Umiushi,

    Sorry I forgot to roll initiative on the last post--I skipped right over that as I was focused on the skill challenge. Yrisz, wielding holy symbol; Konstansz, wielding rod; Rogur, wielding sling if we have more than 7 squares between us and the nearest enemy, sword otherwise; and on bass guitar, John Paul Jones!
    * Yrisz-Initiative *
    * Konstansz-Initiative *
    * Rogur-Initiative *


    Also: Temple of Dooooom!

    Dice Result History - [Hide]
    07-04-2014 10:34 AM
    Yrisz-Initiative: 1d20 (11)+ 2 (2) = 13
    Konstansz-Initiative: 1d20 (19)+ 2 (2) = 21
    Rogur-Initiative: 1d20 (19)+ 6 (6) = 25

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Issaquah
    Posts
    953
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Umi,

    Do we have an additional day to travel to Izzmarg with Pradize? I plan to burn up my dailies but not if we won't have another tense night of rest.

    * Initiative *

    Dice Result History - [Hide]
    07-05-2014 08:58 PM
    Initiative: 1d20 (4)+ 4 (4) = 8
    Ariellana, Noxias, and Yrisz that one time...
    Quote:
    "It seems to Noxias that the mere act of perceiving her in her decrepitude is enough to draw forth the mortality in his body."
    Translation: "Damn girl, you fugly."

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bellevue
    Posts
    2,824
    Blog Entries
    32
    Downloads
    15
    Uploads
    0

    Worm Delve Main Post #5

    This is the fifth main post for Worm Delve. Players' posts in either thread are due by 11 pm, Tuesday, July 8th. The next main post will appear by 11 pm, Thursday, July 10th.

    Yes, according to Pradize, there's one more night to be spent in the forest.

    For this posting period, only Rogur and Konstansz take their turns. Next time, everyone takes their turn.

    Here are links to the characters


    Round One
    Rogur (Initiative Count 25)

    Expended: 7 sling bullets
    Hands Free: one
    Held: Thunderburst Sling (loaded)
    Status: First Strike (combat advantage against all enemies)

    Konstansz (Initiative Count 21)
    Hands Free: one
    Held: magic rod
    Status: normal

    Enemies (Initiative Count 17)


    Round Two
    Yrisz (Initiative Count 13)
    Hands Free: two
    Held: Symbol of the Holy Nimbus (worn)
    Status: normal

    Pradize (Initiative Count 12)
    Hands Free: none
    Held: scythe
    Status: normal

    Noxias (Initiative Count 8)

    Hands Free: none
    Held: Staff of Fiery Might, magic sword
    Status: normal

    Rogur (Initiative Count 7)
    Expended: 7 sling bullets
    Hands Free: one
    Held: Thunderburst Sling (loaded)
    Status: normal

    Konstansz (Initiative Count 6)
    Hands Free: one
    Held: magic rod
    Status: normal

    Enemies (Initiative Count 5)



    Map:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BeilWoods1a.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	170.4 KB 
ID:	4246
    Last edited by Umiushi; 07-10-2014 at 05:16 AM.

Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •