Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Saga Edition and Beyond
Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Saga Edition and Beyond

Downloads
    Uploads

Saga Edition and Beyond

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    It seems the bulk of role-players only concern themselves with fantasy games. My first foray into RPG's was actually Star Wars in the d6 system. Naturally it holds a special place in my heart.

I've played just about everything out there including some weird stuff like Tales of the Floating Vagabond but fantasy is my favorite genre. That being said I'm probably going to pick up the new Saga Edition and get a group together.

Who else has played Star Wars and am I the only one going to play Saga Edition?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I play, and run, the Star Wars d20 game. I am not sure if I will purchase the Saga Edition or not, as I am weary of it basically becoming d20: Space. Some of the ideas sounds good, but some don't. I dunno.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The first roleplaying game I ever played was D&D, and its been a long time since I've played anything other than Dungeons and Dragons. I tried in the past to get my group interested in branching out, but we always ended up going back to the tried and true. I've never tried Star Wars: D20, but I definitely wouldn't be opposed to giving it a go. I don't think I'd want to run it though. I just don't feel like I have that great of a grasp on the the history of the Star Wars universe.
    Robert A. Howard
    Pen & Paper Games
    Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.

Downloads
    Uploads
    One of the best things about my SW D20 group is that the GM has less knowledge about the Star Wars universe than most of the players.... The players are all easy-going and just let it slide. Example: There is a 'cannon' story about how X-Wings fell into the hands of the Rebellion. The GM's adventure path has been almost entirely about our characters securing the prototype, and setting up a production line, etc.
    The GM is being nice enough to run the game and do most of the leg-work so we let him run the game the way he wants to. If he wants to break cannon stories/planets to make his game interesting we just go for the ride, never even mentioning that it conflicts. There are so many interpretations of cannon by official writers we just say 'it's our GM's interpretation of the Star Wars universe'. I think we'd balk if he did something off the charts like having someone kill Luke Skywalker while he was a baby but we pretty much give him the authority he needs to tell the story he wants to tell.

Downloads
    Uploads
    A lot of SW fans forget that Lucas has flat out said that everything that did not happen in the 6 movies is considered the Expanded Universe and that this universe can be wiped away at his whim. Anything a GM conjures up for his players is just as valid as the stories written in the 50 or 60 novels that have been published since the late 80's.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Star Wars was the first RPG I ever played. I still remember that I had a female twi-lek scoundrel that had purple skin and an affinity for animals... sadly that game didn't last long... my lesson for the century was never play a pen and paper game with a boyfriend EVER again. Too much chaos can happen and fast. As far as story tellers go for Star Wars I at least want them to have seen the movies and try not to warp anything too badly. I have never read the books and only have the movies to go by... Don't hurt me D: !!! I wouldn't mind playing Star Wars again though, great game but I prefer the game to stay away from any truly major characters from the movies. Star wars is the ONLY game I was ever a long ranged fighter in... usually I'm strictly melee.
    "If you are flamable and have legs you are never blocking a fire exit." - Mitch Hedburg

"If you find you are falling into madness -- dive." -Malkavian Proverb

Swords don't need reloading... that's why I am a melee fan .

Downloads
    Uploads
    My group tried 3 campaigns with the Star Wars RPG (2 d20, 1 d6) and as much as we like Star Wars, the RPG was lacking. My main problem with it was that the Jedi/Sith classes basically ruled the game. I could have the greatest Soldier/Scoundrel or whatever- a Jedi would mop the floor with me.
    Secondly, the darkside point system- according to the rules IMO, Vader & the Emperor should be pushovers. They'd each have more darkside points than you could shake a stick at.
    And space battles- we did our best to play these out, but they'd always take waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to long to run them correctly, and if the classic scenes of the Falcon outmanuvering a Star Destoyers were played in game- poor Han & Chewie- they'd be space toast.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Space battles were the hardest part of the game. To run them correctly, you need a 3D grid and miniature ships to place in the grid so as to show location, angle, etc.

Downloads
    Uploads
    We did have a 3-D grid. Our group being engineers and scientists went to our local Tap Plastics and had them cut some acrylic sheets and lay down a grid on them for us. We assembled them and used MicroMachines from the star wars collection and some other futuristic mini's to conduct our space battles.

Come to think of it, I think I still have the grid. Too bad the new Star Wars Space Battle mini's are insanely expensive. That's WotC for you!!!

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Screw WotC. Lego baby!

Least that's my idea for the next time I run a SW game. Just use a few lego blocks to show size and shape and direction, and there ya have it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    You could get away with a lego and the card from the mini's for the ship you want to use. They included the PnP stats now with the mini stats. I've found a couple of guys who scan all the cards.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Point being- when you try to run a SWRPG space encounter, its more of a table top mini game than a RPG. It just seemed like that much work, and took that much time.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    We tend to like the mini aspect of D&D, Battletech, HeroClix, SW, etc. Just cause we can see what's going on.

As we've gotten old, our imaginations have been weathered away.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Using minis negates some of the confusion. Its difficult to get everyone's mind's-eye on the same proverbial page when it comes to combat and positioning.
    Robert A. Howard
    Pen & Paper Games
    Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.

Ed Zachary Guest
    Player/GM:
    LFG:
    Quote Originally Posted by Farcaster View Post
    Using minis negates some of the confusion. Its difficult to get everyone's mind's-eye on the same proverbial page when it comes to combat and positioning.
    Lego pieces, bottle caps, coins, dice, or peanut shells will work just as well.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast