Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Favorite module?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    I usually ditch the intro as a matter of course. I might use the circumstances of the module, but I rebuild the intro to fit the party rather than force the party to fit the intro.

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    My favorite game console is a table and chairs.
    The Olde Phoenix Inn

Downloads
    Uploads

Tomb of Horrors

My vote is for Tomb of Horrors. Its an orginial Gary Gygax module and just tons of crazy traps and unique situattions. Make the wrong choices and you wind up starting the adventure over buck naked trying to work your way though all the traps. Its an old school high risk high reward dungeon crawl. They redid it for 3.5 and I think 4.0 is coming too.

I also did an update of an old basic D&D module called Horror on the Hill. It took a lot of work but I felt it realy paid off. Module is thin but has a ton of encouters so it's almost a campaign as opposed to a module.

The best 4.0 module I've used I think is the hardback Revenge of the Giants. I'm a big fan of the old "Against the Giants" series and this one, while not as good, caught that old school "epic" feel real well.
    If you can't be a good example then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    they redid it for 2nd ed too, which the 3.x version is actually a suggested update for... there is a play by post here which is going through that adventure....
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon is offline Cursed by the Gods
    Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Tomb of Horrors will always be one of my all-time favorites.
    Thoth-Amon, Lord of the Underworld and the Undead
    Once you know what the magician knows, it's not magick. It's a 'tool of Creation'. -Archmagus H.H.
    The first step to expanding your reality is to discard the tendency to exclude things from possibility. - Meridjet

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    My favorite currently is still Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth. I will actually be running this for another group that is forming. I will be curious to see how different this new group deals with everything that comes up throughout their adventure. As usual, I will be running it using the 2E (AD&D second edition) system.

That being said, I would like to be able to get a hold of some of the other older modules that have been listed in this thread. Even though they may be from before 2E, you can always use the adventure no matter what system you choose to run.
    "You go 50 feet and come to a Y."

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Actually, the Lost Caverns is another good one - it is written in a standard "linear" format, but if characters run the alphabet with "ABCDKWPOXH" it really doesn't matter - it all works out in the end.

Time to grab my copy and Pathfinder-ize it so I can use it with my next group. (insert evil laugh here)

Downloads
    Uploads
    My favourite remains Night Below - ok quite large as trad modules go but it has it all:
    a low to mid level sandbox environment, a central world changing plotline, the underdark as a semi linear crawl, negotiation, diplomacy, combat, alien cities and a diabolical enemy.
    in fact I'm seriously thinking about revisiting it next year

Downloads
    Uploads
    The old Against the Giants, the old Slavelord series the old Drow series were wonderful, WONDERFUL series.
    Chaosnet --

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon is offline Cursed by the Gods
    Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippee View Post
    My favourite remains Night Below - ok quite large as trad modules go but it has it all:
    a low to mid level sandbox environment, a central world changing plotline, the underdark as a semi linear crawl, negotiation, diplomacy, combat, alien cities and a diabolical enemy.
    Agreed, and...

Quote Originally Posted by Chaosnet View Post
    The old Against the Giants, the old Slavelord series the old Drow series were wonderful, WONDERFUL series.
    ...agreed!

---------- Post added at 01:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:25 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Zippee View Post
    If our secret govt puts on the market teleporation devices, count me in. I'd love to play The Night Below.

Thoth
    Thoth-Amon, Lord of the Underworld and the Undead
    Once you know what the magician knows, it's not magick. It's a 'tool of Creation'. -Archmagus H.H.
    The first step to expanding your reality is to discard the tendency to exclude things from possibility. - Meridjet

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ahhhh... modules. There are plenty of good options already covered above. With a bit of work you can easily make a game of any edition into a game designed for characters of 4e. (although it is easier to convert to 3.5 from 1 or 2e.)
    Age of Worms, Shackled City and Savage Tide are good adventure paths for 1-20th level, getting rid of the work for you. White plume mountain, tomb of horrors, dwellers of the forbidden city, maure castle, Expedition to Castle Greyhawk, Ravenloft (the game), Demonweb Pits, against the giants, undermountain, forest oracle, and so forth are all wonderful games.
    You can also go to http://www.goodmangames.com/dcc-modules3e.html where they have what they call Dungeon Crawl Classics. They have them in 1e, 2e, 3.5 and 4 rules, and they are all dungeon crawls. It is an excellent source of material.

Downloads
    Uploads
    What about The Lost City or maybe the Desert of Desolation series.... some of those old modules were awesome! Castle Amber is another that comes to mind. I could go on and on...
    Push from the Left - Shove from the Right

Downloads
    Uploads
    Gamma World 1e - Legion of Gold
    Top Secret SI - Doomsday Drop
    Traveller - Across the Bright Face
    D&D - Slave pits of the Undercity
    Star Wars D6 - Black Ice
    Morrow Project - Desert Search
    Conspiracy X - Shadows of the Mind book, & also the Alien Hybrid Adventure I think it was called Psi War.
    Time Master - Red Ace High, and PT 109 (From the GMscreen)
    3.5 - Sunless Citadel.
    -Etarnon
    Refereeing RPGs since 1977

Old School Gamers (Online) Meetup Group Organizer
    http://www.meetup.com/Old-School/

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Morrow Project. There is a name I have not seen in a while. I didn't know any modules were ever published.

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    My favorite game console is a table and chairs.
    The Olde Phoenix Inn

Downloads
    Uploads
    Raid on Riverton was the first one.
    Desert Search
    Operation: Damocles
    A few others.

The plots were off beat, but generally okay. Each module had a special section for a new tank or vehicle, along with the hit charts.

Pretty cool game but it needs a very experienced GM, since it's mostly a "setting" module. Muchlike Twilight 2000's modules mostly were.
    -Etarnon
    Refereeing RPGs since 1977

Old School Gamers (Online) Meetup Group Organizer
    http://www.meetup.com/Old-School/

Downloads
    Uploads
    D&D 1st edition
    Temple of Elemental Evil
    Slavelord series
    Giant/Drow series.

D&D 2nd edition
    Ruins of Greyhawk