Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Thread: Adventure Paths discussion

Hybrid View

Downloads
    Uploads

Adventure Paths discussion

I may finally get a chance to join an adventure path sometime this year with my gaming group. It made me realize there really isn't a discussion thread for just talking about the adventure paths on here.

Without spoiling plots, which adventure paths have you gone through and why? Which ones do you recommend? Which ones would you like to try out?

I'd also love to check out Jade Regent and Serpent's Skull. I personally am curious about Second Darkness since I have the first book which came free for those who attended PaizoCon 2010. Especially with campaigns like Jade Regent, where We Are Goblins! is a prequel module, I'd definitely hope my GM will be willing to explore some of the other modules or maybe a relevant Society one shot here and there along the way.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have run through a modified Legacy of Fire. I felt it didn't work as I wanted, maybe just on my end.

I am currently running Second Darkness. The group is in Armageddon Echo at the moment, and loving it. I have had to do a lot of up-scaling with an overpowered group of eight, but it seems to be working.

I have been running them as 3.5 games with some pathfinder influence, not a pathfinder pure game. I personally feel drawn to the Kingmaker path. Hard to say where to go next...
    Most men lead lives of quiet desperation.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I really liked Council of Thieves overall, you can tell the parts that are written by different authors however as the advise sections sometimes seam contradictory in nature. Its way more out there in terms of roleplay than many of the other APs.
    Playing: Pathfinder
    Running: infrequent VtM game

"I'm beautifully hideous!" - Sven the Nosferatu

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm just starting to read up on the Legacy of Fire adventure path. The players in my game have ties to Calimshan in Forgotten Realms, and I wanted something with that Arabic persuasion for them to do. This one looks pretty promising, not only does it have the right setting, but the storyline for it seems pretty appealing as well.

Downloads
    Uploads

Paizo Adventure Paths

Chiming in on Adventure Paths.
    My opinions are neither fair nor impartial (usually)...

King Maker - (Judging)
    [Started it a little over a year ago; 45% through Book 4]
    This AP has specific (mechanical and storyline) elements that target veteran game masters/player who have be at this for some time! Hexploration, Kingdom Building and Mass Combat just to name a few. This is not an AP for a beginner GM. The sandbox approach to the AP's design can be difficult for a game master who needs more structure. On the other hand, this was one of my favorite parts of its design, playing into my strengths as a GM. My preference is usually to master the campaigns and play in the one shots. My KM campaign is one hell of an awesome beast! My players just hit 10th level and this remains (by far) the game I day dream about and look most forward to week in & out!

Legacy of Fire - (Playing: 'Benji' Ninja 3/Witch 1)
    [8 sessions played; 50% through Book 2]
    PRO: I'm having a lot of fun with this adventure, I think mainly because I have a perfect lock on my character. When you can get into the PC zone line that, it makes for amazing games!
    CON: Playing a 3.5 era AP with shiny new PFRPG content, can be a challenge to maintain balance. We also have been given the green light to play 'unusual' race options. I'm playing a half Ifrit template, we have a Gnoll Barbarian and a Gnoll Paladin of Imodae.

Serpent Skull
    - (Playing: 'Nora' Cleric of Desna 7/Holy Vindicator 1)
    [Eight months played; 30% through Book 3]
    There are several things that have absolutely made this game epic for me:

My character. She was a tribute to my very first AD&D character, created at the wee-age of seven (circa 1977). The build has been a pleasure to play and she continues to be my favorite character to play.

My GM. My lady has taken up the mantle of Game Mastery by running her first Pathfinder Adventure Path. In fact, it's her first go at running the system. She played White Wolf and Star Wars RPG's before we connected. Serpent Skull again is a sandbox design, which by nature is not easy to run. She's a natural role player, makes fair decisions and rarely get's flustered by a cast of players that push many envelopes during a given session. She's an excellent Game Master!

My Group's chemistry. Every once in a blue moon, you build the perfect beast. My SS group consists of some of the finest and most experienced gamers I know. We don't play the game like most do. She has kept up and been a step or two ahead of us each step of the way!

In addition to the above weekly games, I'm also organizing/judging/playing in the Pathfinder Society Organized campaign weekly.

Some Game to Live,
    others Live to Game.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Just returning to this thread. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I ended up joining a group for Legacy of Fire. We meet every other week for three hour sessions. It's good times thus far! I'm playing a crazy character concept: Ulfen Half-elf fighter. Yeah. Half breed viking in the desert. Gotta love fantasy

Upon announcement of the Advanced Race Guide (which will surely have the official write ups for your ifrits and gnolls, Azmyth), I'd like to start up gamemastering Jade Regent, which by April all those books should be out.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I have not yet had the chance to try out the adventure paths but reading the descriptions of them all has me interested. If they resemble the Organized Play modules at all I believe they will be mighty entertaining, at least if you're doing it right -chuckles-

Downloads
    Uploads
    I received the final two books of the Carrion Crown path as part of the subscription, so I've been reading up a lot on those and thinking about running them... but none of the books really seem to tie in together apart from dropping the name of a cult here and there. It seems more of a clumsy romp through gothic tropes than a fluid adventure and they kind of admit to a few of those mistakes in the Foreword of the last book. Book 1 tackles Ghosts. Book 2, a Flesh Golem. 3, Werewolves. 4, Aberrations (They even represent the Lovecraftian Mythos here!). 5, Vampires. 6, Liches.

A crafty GM could improve the "flow" of the books and establish the mastermind's presence earlier in the path so that they players will feel that they're actually up against a true villain, but I think that they can be isolated into great stand-alone adventures without following the path. To me, another part of its charm is that its very reminiscent of Ravenloft. While the path itself doesn't impress me, the quality of the discrete adventures does.

I'm having a lot of fun running the Serpent's Skull via PbP, modified for the Eberron setting and taking place on one of the many islands off the coast of Xen'drik near Stormreach. It's a great module so far. My review of it is consistent with earlier posts. I've also heard nothing but good things about the Kingmaker Adventure Path. I can see how the Legacy of Fire would be a good for Calimshan, as well!

So many paths, so little time.
    Last edited by mad_gondsman; 08-18-2011 at 11:37 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Even though it’s not officially Pathfinder, I ran Savage Tide for 3 years before we finally lost steam at “Into the Maw”. My group then migrated to Pathfinder RPG and we just started Carrion Crown. I love the gothic themes and homage’s to classic horror tropes, but some of the side mechanics (like the trust mechanics in Ravengro) seem a little forced and clunky. We’ve only just started Haunting of Harrowstone, but so far we’re enjoying it.
    I’m also presently in part two of Legacy of Fire, and really enjoying it so far. Each installment of the adventure path caters to a different classic adventure style (Book 1 = Wilderness, book 2 = dungeon crawl, book 3 = city adventure, book 4-5 = plane hopping, etc.).

Downloads
    Uploads
    Updating my thoughts for the community here. I'm still in the Legacy of Fire game I mentioned in my second post. We're now at CL9 at the top of book four.

I'm preparing to start my new homebrew Jade Regent campaign, for which I've even hid the true title and over-arching sub-plot from my players until after our first session. So I'll come back and edit that URL.