Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Alignment: Threat or Menace (The Alternatives Thread)

Hybrid View

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Alignment: Threat or Menace (The Alternatives Thread)

Watching another thread grow and grow, I'd like to start with the premise that alignment is an archaic, simplistic, and ill-conceived mechanism for adding a moral dimension to players' actions. So, what might replace it?

• Nothing. In Robert E. Howard's Conan series, "good" and "evil" seldom matter. Conan chooses based on (temporary) loyalties and personal gain, as does everyone in his world.
    • Allegiances from d20 Modern. It's a lighter-weight and far more flexible system that grants a small reaction bonus with NPCs having the same Allegiance, given time to chat. One could also impose a penalty with NPCs who discover an opposing Allegiance.
    • Allegiances from Basic Roleplaying. BRP adds a percentile score which the GM raises when the character advances that Allegiance's goals. Players can acquire unwanted Allegiances; Chaosium originally designed it for Stormbringer/Elric!. The rulebook recommends not lowering an Allegiance, although Dragon Lines does in extreme circumstances (e.g. murder lowers one's Allegiance to Buddhism and similar religions/philosophies).
    • Taint and Dark Side points. Pessimistic GMs may implement a single "Allegiance" for evil, or at least for violations of a religion's code of ethics. (In all fairness, GMs must define these actions up front.) Creatures with demonic ancestry may carry Taint at birth, although that smacks of biological determinism.

Others?
    Last edited by fmitchell; 04-26-2011 at 11:01 PM.
    "On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
    - Charles Babbage (1791 - 1871)

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Beliefs, Instincts, Traits from the Burning games.

Aspects from Fate.

Keys from The Shadow of Yesterday.

Probably other mechanics that I'm forgetting at the moment.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    let the player decide and have npcs react according to their own ethos and morals accordingly.

in my setup, i use "Contracts" which i suppose would have resemblances to allegiances.

i chuckle at dark side points... kill 20 innocent bunnies and you are more evil than the emperor.... technically speaking.
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    And we go from disagreeing to agreeing in one silly post.

fmitchell, I would posit that "taint" for a demonic-bloodline character would be a POSSIBILITY - like saying that you have to have (arbitrarily) TEN dark-side points makes a person "evil, and the bloodline character starts at SEVEN. That way it could be explained away as they have a stronger TENDENCY to end up evil (like a predisposition to be an alcoholic).

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    ^^

well, i was trying to stick to specific mechanics here rather than bring my own beliefs into this particular thread.
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    What about the Law/Chaos axis? Toss it out? Create other Allegiances? Redefine it as an ideological split (a la the LotFP RPG)?

EDIT: I misremembered the rules. As stated below, LotFP makes Law and Chaos even more cosmic, as two sides independent of beliefs and morality.
    Last edited by fmitchell; 05-23-2011 at 09:45 PM.
    "On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

Downloads
    Uploads
    I like these ideas. Personally I am still looking for a good alignment-esque system of some sort.

An idea for those who like the daemonic characters having a tendency but don't like the "born with sin" idea, maybe they just get more "dark side" points for the same evil acts instead. Where everyone else gets 5 for kicking that orphan, the Daemonic-ancestry character gets 7 (or whatever). They don't start predisposed towards good or evil, but if they go evil, they just slide faster.
    'Cuz I've been gamin' and rollin' so long, that even the late Gary thinks my mind is gone...

http://www.obsidianportal.com/profile/anarkitty
    http://forum.emperorschildren.net/viewtopic.php?t=2862

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Another idea for daemonic characters may simply be the accumulation of "dark side" points, when (most) other beings don't. Every time a daemon-blooded creature commits certain actions -- killing, using arcane magic, entering tainted areas -- he or she accumulates more taint.

I'd also allow for any tainted characters to purge taint: religious ritual, a quest, a monastic lifestyle, whatever. (According to some sources, Merlin was half-demon, but baptized at birth and thus outside the Devil's reach.)

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I think, before trying to make types of characters more/less susceptible to 'taint', ask what it is the mechanic actually does. What effect does having, say, three "dark side" points have on a character, over having none or thirteen. Then you can look at the individual cases, like demon-blooded or what have you and figure out if they warrant a fast-track to Evil-opolis, or whaveter the end point of the 'taint' track is.

(Most of the quantifiable morality mechanics I've run across tend to treat it as another form of hit points - a resource that tells you how much longer the character is in the game. Star Wars, Vampire: the Masquerade, Aberrant, etc., treat those tracks as the playability of a given character, which I don't quite feel convey an ethos as much as present a gameable meter. And I am someone who *adores* games that make their actual game-ness that transparent. But for morality, I'm not much of a fan; it feels weird.)

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm a big fan of the simple Law-[Neutrality]-Chaos system. Fmitchell mentioned the great Allegiances mechanic from Stormbringer. M.A.R. Barker's Empire of the Petal Throne featured a Law/Chaos religious system based on the conflict between the Lords of Stability and the Lords of Change. Glorantha, Warhammer's Old World, and who-knows-how-many others have also used the Law/Chaos axis as part of their settings and systems to good and varied effect, even though "Alignment" may not have necessarily been listed on the character sheet.

A different sort of alignment would be the Cryptic Alliances from Gamma World -- not an ingrained ethos, but one a character would join or be recruited into that would reflect their worldview and beliefs.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    LotFP:WFRP handles Lawful/Neutral/Chaotic in an interesting way. To quote (a lot) from the Grindhouse Free Rules:

Alignment is a character’s orientation on a cosmic scale. It has nothing to do with a character’s allegiances, personality, morality, or actions. Alignments will mostly be used to determine how a character is affected by certain magical elements in the game. The three alignments are Lawful, Neutral, and Chaotic.

Lawful

The universe has an ultimate, irrefutable truth, and a flawless, unchanging plan towards which all events inevitably march. [...] Those who are Lawful in alignment are part of an inevitable destiny, but have no knowledge of what that destiny is and what their role will be in fulfilling it. [...]

Chaotic

The howling maelstrom beyond the veil of shadows and existence is the source of all magic. It bends and tears the fabric of the universe; it destroys all that seeks to be permanent. [...] Those who are Chaotic in alignment are touched by magic, and consider the world in terms of ebbing and flowing energy, of eternal tides washing away the sand castles that great kings and mighty gods build for themselves. Many mortals who are so aligned desperately wish they were not.

Neutral

To be Neutral is merely to exist between the forces of Law and Chaos. [...] Even most who would claim allegiance to Law or Chaos are not actually Lawful or Chaotic. In the real world, every human being that has ever existed has been Neutral.

Clerics must be Lawful. Elves and Magic-Users must be Chaotic. All others are free to choose their alignment.
    Thus, Law and Chaos isn't a matter of political philosophy or morality, but one's personal connection to cosmic forces.
    Last edited by fmitchell; 05-23-2011 at 09:40 PM.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Specific Faith. A character's alignment is a reference to which god he follows. Then, that god's aspect portfolio (say, healing, sun, and love) determines what forces do and don't get along with that character, on a supernatural level.

Really, if you're going to replace Alignment, you should have a reason to not just toss it out altogether. If the reason is to help a character define his morals...I guess morals will come from religion, philosophy, or brute force. "Why'd you just steal that starving person's bread?" "Welcome to Chaosville, where we get beaten if we don't actively oppose peace!"

D&D's reason to not toss it out: game mechanics. A spell that affects only Good-aligned targets won't work too well without characters who are Good-aligned.