Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: what was your favorite 1st ed adventure?

Downloads
    Uploads

what was your favorite 1st ed adventure?

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    with the new edition of dungens and dragons having been released, i was wondering what everyone's favorite old school AD&D adventure was? 1st edition prefered, but second edition is kosher as well.

my all time favorite, not because of the quality or story, per se, but because my group had a ton of fun playing it, and i enjoyed the heck out of dming it was S4, Lost Caverns of Tsjocanth.

Drelnza gave the party fits, having charmed most of them, knocked all the rest except the thief out of commission, and finally falling to some incredibly lucky dice rolling.

the party had a wild free for all against the chasme, and the dao had them confused for a bit until they remembered they were in hostile territory...
    "well, g'night! dont let the flesh eating demon bed babies bite!!"
    facebook.com/houstonderek

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon is offline Cursed by the Gods
    Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    B1: In Search of the Unknown, & B2: Keep on the Borderlands, come to mind.

Thoth-Amon

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    We never played a lot of adventure modules for D&D to my recollection, but one of my favorites was for Basic D&D, and came from the Bestiary of Dragons and Giants adventure collection (which I still have ). I forget the name of it at the moment, but it was the first adventure in that book, designed for low-level (levels 1-3) characters and involved the PCs traveling through a snowy mountain pass and encountering the lair of a young white dragon.

I ran the module several times with different groups and always had a blast with it. There were a few really interesting and unique NPCs to it that were great fun to portray and it was equally full of interesting role playing scenes and neat combat encounters. Plus, there was actually motivation for the PCs to venture into the dragon's lair, and if played up by a good DM, the party can actually develop an attachment to the NPCs and vice versa.

We played a couple adventure modules from "Introductory Game" boxed sets, and a couple of those were cool (especially one that had the PCs roaming a haunted house and trying to uncover the mystery of its ghostly inhabitants...I really creeped my players out with that one), but no other D&D adventure I played was as much fun as the "White Dragon" one.
    Last edited by Webhead; 06-26-2008 at 11:03 AM.
    HARRY DRESDEN WIZARD
    Lost items found. Paranormal Investigations.
    Consulting. Advice. Reasonable Rates.
    No Love Potions, Endless Purses, or Other Entertainment.

Downloads
    Uploads
    N1 Against the Cult of the Reptile God

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Mead View Post
    i picked up a copy of that last week from the used bin at the flgs. man, that may have been the best written d&d module of the 1st ed era. its probably my favorite to read, by far! excellent choice

Downloads
    Uploads
    I might also have said L1 Secret of Bone Hill, but I only ever read it, never got a chance to play or DM it (although I did the prep work on it, apparently I planned to run it and never did). Shamed to say I'd forgotten about it until I read the L4 thread here!

Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Great one!

Thoth-Amon

Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I might also have said L1 Secret of Bone Hill, but I only ever read it, never got a chance to play or DM it (although I did the prep work on it, apparently I planned to run it and never did). Shamed to say I'd forgotten about it until I read the L4 thread here!
    Another excellent one.

Thoth-Amon

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    A friend of mine has Bone Hill and had converted some parts of it for use in his 3.5 campaign a few years ago. What he took us through was kinda fun (though we ganked the evil Mage in it really quick), but that was the only experience I've had with that module.
    HARRY DRESDEN WIZARD
    Lost items found. Paranormal Investigations.
    Consulting. Advice. Reasonable Rates.
    No Love Potions, Endless Purses, or Other Entertainment.

Downloads
    Uploads
    L1 (and its sequel, L2, the assassin's knot) got a lot of (undeserved) bad press when it came out. i thought len did a nice job of introducing the concept of "things happen whether you're there or not" with the timeline of events that occured unless the party intervened at some point. all and all, and excellent adventure, and a nice example of thinking outside the (dungeoncrawl) box...

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Ravenloft, the first one. And White Plume Mountain. I have gotten more traction out of those two modules than the rest I own combined.

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    My favorite game console is a table and chairs.
    The Olde Phoenix Inn

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by tesral View Post
    Ravenloft, the first one. And White Plume Mountain. I have gotten more traction out of those two modules than the rest I own combined.
    Yeah, Ravenloft (I6?) was a great one. I think one of the very few I've run more than once. Still have my playing card deck for it somewhere here =)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by tesral View Post
    i've actually dm'd more TPKs using ravenloft than i have tomb of horrors. i could never figure out why my players insisted on treating I6 like a standard dungeon crawl.

white plume mountain was a blast, but the first group i ever ran through it almost killed each other over who got to keep black razor. i didnt care for the 30th anniversary update of WPM. thought it was the weakest of the "revisited" adventures...

Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Great one! Ah, the memories.

Thoth-Amon

Downloads
    Uploads
    "The Keep on the Borderlands", just because it was my very first adventure I ever ran as a DM. It was MY boxed set, so I was the default DM. Played in it a couple of times to. Remember raiding the armory? Felt like Elvis when I got that magic spear from the Minotaur in his maze.

All time fave, would have to be the G series, "Against the Giants".

Hardest on players? The D series. Wiped out several high level parties in D3 Vault of the Drow, and not on purpose, either. I generally try and avoild TPK's, personally don't believe in them. But that was one TOUGH adventure. Having a city full of Drow after you is a very bad thing.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast