Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Thread: Marble Columns

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Marble Columns

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Come on down to Ed's Marble emporium and get your very own Mahble Callum, it'll class the joint up!

anyway...

I've been working on terrain for my Dark Sun campaign and while I was at the hobby store getting something else unrelated I came upon some cheap wooden candle holders, candelabras, whatever you call them. I thought they would make some pretty good marble columns, if I painted them up white or light gray. After I got home I sanded the snot out of them and then painted them white but they still didn't look like I wanted. I decided that I needed to weather them a bit, so I scratched some cracks in them and then gave them a wash of Raw Sienna. The wash is supposed to make them look as though they were once white but the centuries or eons of blowing dirt have stained the same color as the bedrock of Athas. I use Raw Sienna as the base for most of terrain in my Dark Sun campaign.

The picture is a simple progression of the painting from plain wood, primed, to having the wash applied.

This was a pretty easy project. Sanding was the most time consuming step. So far I think I have about 2 hours tops invested in this project and spent $6.00 for 12 marble columns (2.99 for a pack of 6).

They also sell Greek style columns in the wedding cake decorating section that would work well, but I was going for more of a quasi-Egyptian look.
    It's as if there are people who play RPGs that don't have computers or something. Seriously, people need to upgrade to 1994 already. - - -TheRedRobedWizard

Downloads
    Uploads
    Looks more like sandstone than marble.
    Still, an excellent idea, especially for an Egyptian theme.
    'Cuz I've been gamin' and rollin' so long, that even the late Gary thinks my mind is gone...

http://www.obsidianportal.com/profile/anarkitty
    http://forum.emperorschildren.net/viewtopic.php?t=2862

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hehe, yup, they do look more like sandstone. The marble column thing is really an obscure reference to one of my favorite SNL skits, Mike's Marbleopolis. Really, It's only memorable to me because, me and my brother laugh our butts off every time we go to my sisters house, for she has one of those marble column in her house. Just sitting there, in the middle of the room, but it's classy!

Also, I always get the name wrong, drives my brother crazy.
    It's as if there are people who play RPGs that don't have computers or something. Seriously, people need to upgrade to 1994 already. - - -TheRedRobedWizard