Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
*waves* Hello everyone
Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Thread: *waves* Hello everyone

Downloads
    Uploads

Wink *waves* Hello everyone

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Hi there fellow gamers.

Being quite new to this whole RPG thing (online or not), I think an introduction is more than needed. Otherwise I'd make a fool out of myself later, so I guess it's better to get this over with right from the start.

Note that I wrote "quite new". Meaning I've played a few sessions of Warhammer and, recently, D&D 4e. In fact, the latter is still ongoing, and I've found it to be a lot more fun than the former mentioned game.

But if I was all content and happy with that one game, I probably wouldn't be here right now, posting this very message. The thing is, it's a bit of a hassle for all of us to get together sometimes. There's pretty much only one day during the week when we can play, and if only one person can't come for some reason... well, I'm sure you know the deal.

So I've taken an interest in online tools and online gaming. All in all, I'd love to find a second group to play with using the great Internet as the means to do so.

Speaking of which, I'm a bit worried that this particular site is mostly aimed at people in the US. The internet is a vast tool, and allows one to communicate over great distances, but sessions require time and since I'm in Poland, then there's this nasty time difference thing to remember. As such, here's my first question, straight up: is this a good place to start my search for an online group to play with, considering I live in Europe?

I think that pretty much covers everything I wanted to say. I shall now be taking questions. Come on, don't be shy.
    Last edited by Shaamaan; 03-27-2011 at 11:53 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    welcome to the Boards Shaamaan, while there are alot of members in the US, there are still dozens of members not in the US, & even going beyond that, many players are willing to try & work out a day for everyone to be able to work together to play. If that doesn't work out there is also the Play by Post options that allow a few days for everyone to post their actions. What systems are you interested in trying out? The boards have a vast list of games to choose from.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, given my quick calculations I'm not sure if any regular 9-to-5 type of person living in the US could play with another such person living in Europe, with the possible exceptions of weekends, and even then it'd be awkward I guess. But I don't want to throw negativity around, so... who knows? Perhaps it could work!

With that said however, I'm definitely not looking to play-by-mail games. I hope to use Skype or, in the very least, IRC as the means to communicate. So, to put it plainly, I'm looking for real-time games, if only to throw at least a little bit of story and actual roleplay into the session. Combat is all great, but I'm still quite the newbie here.

As for the games themselves... I'm only familiar with 3 games at this time.
    Warhammer - probably the most recent edition, but since that was my very first time playing a "pen and paper RPG" I was really just listening to the GM and not paying all that much attention to details of the mechanics. It's also worth noting that we only played a single session.
    Fading Suns - I'm only "familiar" with the concept of the game-world. That was supposed to be our second game after Warhammer didn't quite work out.
    Dungeons & Dragons 4e - The game we're playing right now. I must say, I'm very impressed with it so far, at least as far as mechanics go. It's a lot of fun to be able to do something more than just "attack this bad guy" in your turn. Of course it mostly does boil down to this, but at least it feels a bit more creative.

So, as far as selecting a game from the sites "vast list of games to choose from", I can only answer this based on my own experience. And I'd love to start another D&D 4e session, despite having one already under way. Preferably one that starts slow and isn't focused on straining the players combat abilities and min-maxing character statistics. And, as I mentioned earlier in the post, I'd be great if Skype was somehow involved. Or Ventrillo or Teamspeak (I don't want to be picky ).

Taking a further interest in the matter, I read about and found a nifty tool (which I'm going to bet is widely known and used here) called MapTool. The only problem was that aside from starting the thing I had no idea how it works. So, if this tool would be used for games, I can only hope that the GM would have enough patience to show me the ropes and how to use said tool.
    Last edited by Shaamaan; 03-27-2011 at 03:50 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    You've found one of the VTT's (Virtual Table Tops). The VTT's are used as a great tool, they can hold maps, tokens, allow for chat & even having a built in character sheet to play from, its heavy work for a GM, but simple to use for the players (more or less). There are 2 more that I know work pretty well, OpenRPG & Traipse, though they use the same basic set-up (Traipse is a variant of Open RPG using the Open Source framework). There are also groups that take it a step further & nix the chat option, instead combining the VTT with a program such as Ventrilo/Teamspeak/Skype to get as close to real time live gaming as possible.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolanar View Post
    There are also groups that take it a step further & nix the chat option, instead combining the VTT with a program such as Ventrilo/Teamspeak/Skype to get as close to real time live gaming as possible.
    Which sounds like what I'd like to do!

So... where do I click now to get a group?

Downloads
    Uploads
    well, I suggest starting your search in the "Advertise your games here" section, perhaps checking out the chat room, lots of people congregate there periodically, & just keep an eye out for games that sound appealing & ask about them, no harm in inquiring about information.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon is offline Cursed by the Gods
    Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hello and welcome to the pnpg boards, Shaamaan. Glad to have you here.
    Thoth-Amon, Lord of the Underworld and the Undead
    Once you know what the magician knows, it's not magick. It's a 'tool of Creation'. -Archmagus H.H.
    The first step to expanding your reality is to discard the tendency to exclude things from possibility. - Meridjet