Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Thread: Distant Shot [Epic]

Downloads
    Uploads

Distant Shot [Epic]

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Dear great ones

I just want to be absolutely clear I'm not mis-interpretting the "
    Distant Shot [Epic]" epic feat.

wording says:
    You can target anything you can see with a ranged weapon.

Prerequisites:
    Dex 25, Far Shot, Point Blank Shot,
    Spot 20 ranks.
    Benefit:

You may throw or fire a ranged weapon at any target within line of sight, with no penalty for range.

(epic level handbook page 53)

Now, does this really mean that I can shoot (or even throw) and hit anything I can see or is it still limited in range somehow? I mean, standing on a mountain ledge you can see pretty far and even see people like little ants in the distance. If I can hit these with this feat it is just... crazy.

Am I reading it right?

Hail to you all and I thank thee for thy answers

Downloads
    Uploads
    I would say part of that would be accurate, however this may be a RAW vs a RAI situation, it could depend on your GM's interpretation of LOS (Line of Sight). Personally, I would interpret it as the distance you can make clear details of a person, however as written, it could be interpreted as you say.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes, you are reading it correctly. Epic is supposed to be crazy incredible! Line of sight is blocked by fog, darkness, invisibility, or other factors that would offer a target concealment or cover.

Hey, get a powerful spyglass and snipe your targets from miles away, maybe even from orbit. You are not just a hero, you have epic inside!

Just hope your target doesn't have ...

Infinite Deflection

Type: Epic
    Source: Epic Level Handbook
    You can deflect an infinite number of projectiles.
    Prerequisite: Dex 25, Combat Reflexes, Deflect Arrows, Improved Unarmed Strike
    Benefit: You may perform any number of deflections each round. See the Deflect Arrows feat in the Player's Handbook.

Most men lead lives of quiet desperation.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes, epic is crazy. Shoot distant targets, swim up waterfalls, invent new words.

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    The Dean of Old School
    The Olde Phoenix Inn
    Metro Detroit Linux Users Group

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I always interpreted the feat as still being limited to the natural range of the weapon, the feat just negates the penalties associated with the ranges. Here's my logic:

A Long Bow, for example, has a range increment of 100ft, with a max of 10 range increments, max range of 1000ft. Every range increment beyond the first taking a cumulative -2 range penalty (up to -18 at the very last range increment). With Far Shot, that takes it to 1500ft max, 150ft range increments. A magically enhanced weapon with the Distance enhancement doubles the range increment on the weapons for which it is placed. SO, now you have a max range of 3000ft, with 300ft range increments, still suffering the -2 range penalty to all range increments beyond the first (-18 to hit in the final range increment). Now, throw on the Distant Shot [Epic] feat and now everything within line of sight with no penalty for range... thus everything up to (using the Long Bow with Far Shot and Distance enhancement) 3000 feet can be hit at your normal Epic Level obnoxious BAB.

Maybe my interpretation doesn't fly with what was intended with Epic feats or Epic play, I tend to look for ways to keep even those PCs with PHENOMENOL COSMIC POWER!!!! grounded in a little reality.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Second.