Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Campaign Summary
Campaign Summary Genre: Science Fiction / Futuristic
System Used: Shadowrun
Game Location N/A
Game Times N/A
Online Game Details Online Game?: Yes
Additional Options Looking for Players?: Yes
Online Game

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Online Shadowrun anyone?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    I'm all for nontraditional, especially if that's what you like to run (since you'll be a better GM if you're actually invested in what you've written for it), but for games like that, we'll likely have to know a little of what we're getting into and tailor our characters in advance.

My usual character is a combination rigger/gunslinger Adept who is a moderately famous gunsmith in underground circles. He lives and works out of an old converted bus and as such is readily mobile to wherever.

I can also easily build a new character from the ground up if he doesn't suit the campaign or the party.

Downloads
    Uploads
    i'm open for anything . i normal do mage/ phical adepts. just need a little background and the "how to" on playing an online shadowrun game

Downloads
    Uploads
    I am open to any type of campaign. I would probably go for a classic Seattle campaign if I had to pick. When would games be? Day of week? Time?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I was partway through saying Seattle 2072 when I opened up War to just browse through it a bit. Unless anyone has any strong objections, I'd like to go with a tweaked version of Lagos (mostly described in Runner Havens). Lagos doesn't have enough of a government to have a Matrix backbone, but increase the numbers of really cheap comms and the mesh network that's there will be a lot more stable than vanilla SR. There are probably enough conflicts in Africa as it is, but if someone (maybe MCT) had an enclave in Nigeria and a group of warlords formed a loose alliance to get rid of it, there'd be plenty of excuse for the new toys there. I'll have to think about that or someone deciding they're strong enough to take on Asamondo (centered around Ghana, and thus VERY close to Lagos...)

Stay away from Infected characters, though ghouls might be okay if you know what you're doing. AIs are interesting but kinda overly restricted in a setting where Matrix access can disappear at a moment's notice. Beyond that knock yourself out - plenty of cybers in Lagos, plenty of mages and adepts, 1 in 20 people is a nonstandard metatype, and there /should/ be enough matrix access that hackers are fine and technos are okay. (Vanilla Lagos fluff includes a district full of hacker gangs, one of which is actually technomancers. Most of the problem with being a technomancer is the 10k bounty on live ones...but that can be a problem for anyone with an internal commlink, too.)

The how-to of online Shadowrun is pretty easy once we come up with a time. Everyone needs a copy of either gametable or maptool (whichever we go with), and voice chat client assuming we use one. From there it's pretty much the same as face-to-face, though you'll need to use the diceroller in the table app and you won't be able to see anyone's faces.

Voice - pros: with it, the game goes almost as fast as a face-to-face game. Also allows for more range on the part of the GM (i.e. different voices). Cons: one more thing to break. Also some people are shy; it's also hard to get the voices to the same volume level. Last but not least is it makes logging much more difficult - though the game will be early enough in my morning that I shouldn't have much trouble writing a session synopsis after the session proper.

From what I can see, Gametable doesn't really offer support for the Shadowrun dice. Maptool does and also has a campaign framework that'll make tracking NPCs way easier for me. Still not hard and fast on that, though, since I haven't actually downloaded it myself and the people I talked to about it used it so long ago that they barely remember it. (You know, two years or so.)

As for date and time. Like I said in my post earlier, I'm in Korea and work days. Accordingly, if the game is primarily American/Canadian, it needs to be Friday or Saturday night; Saturday's a little better for me because I'm less likely to be called into work on a Sunday (Saturday has happened before, and Saturday morning for me is Friday night stateside). Three PM EST is about when I get up; if we want to try and start after most people have eaten dinner, 7 PM EST is a good start time. OTOH plenty of people that wouldn't help so we could move it earlier, too, and Sat-I mean, 'Friday night' isn't that much worse for me. [daiopowen - you're throwing off my game, dude! I'm not used to this whole 'ahead of me timezone' stuff!]

I WILL be working this weekend, so no rush to pick a time...everything after that looks clear, though there'll be another one next month as well.

Hmm. Can't think of anything else I want to add on to the mountain of text. I'll end it there, then. Please reply with your preferences regarding voice client or lack thereof, map client (especially if I'm wrong about gametable and SR dice), and time. Character concept, too.

Lagos is detailed in Feral Cities, so if you don't have that say so and I'll throw up a primer.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I could put together either a Tecnomancer or real mage just let me know the tools I need and I will make sure I have them. Setting doesn't matter too much assuming I roll a techno though I guess the matter of how much matrix would matter a bit to me heh although I can play it as a rigger pretty easily either as drone support or security rigger for b/e runs. mages are a bit more straight forward of course.

I have played mages and physical adapts and street sams in the past with a little bit of a hacker type in 2nd ed.
    Last edited by Emeketos; 03-09-2011 at 07:23 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Q: What's the difference between a rigger and a dronomancer?
    A: Well, riggers upgrade mostly with nuyen, dronomancers upgrade mostly with karma. Aaaaaand.....that's pretty much it. =p

From a setting perspective, Lagos ranges in wireless from "just like a modern sprawl" (Lagos Island, Victoria Island) to intermittent dead hours. Like I said, I'm tweaking it so that the mesh network is much more stable. Basically, the matrix will be there (though quite possibly with a weak signal) until I decide it's a dramatic time to go dead. As a technomancer, that means that you're fine...until I chop the legs out from under you. =p Mind, if you're a dronomancer you can still act as normal (bearing in mind the penalty for being a technomancer in a dead zone), and if you're a hacker then most likely you've gone to a place where that doesn't happen or you're close enough to the target that it doesn't matter (don't need matrix if you can connect directly to the target's commlink).

From a GM perspective I've had trouble in the past with Matrix stuff. It's just not something I'm all that familiar with, so it'll take some practice to get used to. If you're a dronomancer, rigger, or for that matter mage, that's not so much a big deal - I can handle cyber attacks on your drones (assuming you have left openings) just fine, and mostly that'd be the same combat everyone else is in anyway. I'm not so strong on the opposite, so bone up on those rules if that's what you want to do.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Despite starting the thread, I'm thinking I'm probably the person with the least amount of experience here.

There's a decent chance I'll need help with my character, though I have the basic mechanics of building down. Also, Saturday nights are generally good for me, Fridays too, but less so.

Downloads
    Uploads
    If you have the Runner's Companion, I've found that making a character with the priority system, then costing it out and adjusting it to 400 BP helps a lot. The Runner's Toolkit on the other hand is more geared to GMs but includes PACKS, which is a set of mostly modular BP packages that similarly simplify character generation - pick the packages you want (making sure you cover all the bases) and add their totals, and tweak from there.

If you don't have either of those and you're working out of the main book, here are some tips:

Don't get overspecialized. For attributes, a SINGLE rank 1 might be interesting from a roleplaying perspective; beyond that the character is really too weak to be worth playing. For character type, mages are extremely powerful - until they enter an aspected dimense, at which point their effective magic stat drops rapidly. Some kind of weapon is important and, usually, some kind of non-lethal weapon more so. Doesn't have to be good, but sometimes you really don't want to risk drain. For cybergear there's a statistical benefit to mixing cyberware and bioware - whichever one you have less of, the essence cost is HALVED. So if you're making a street samurai or other cyber concept, keep that in mind - you can spend 3 essence on cyber, spend 3 on bio, and have a full point of essence left. (Well, a point and a half, but you always round up the essence loss.)

If you're starting out, I recommend a role as either a face or a street sammie. Face is mostly roleplaying, so inexperience with the system isn't gonna hurt much. Street sammie is pretty much direct combat, so pick a category of weapon you like and everything's good. The advantage SS has over physical adept is that character progression is mostly through nuyen rather than karma (Adepts have to worry about boosting their magic stat and so on, street sammies have to worry about buying better cyber), which is easier to plan for. (Karma comes in small packages at the end of a session; nuyen comes when you get paid.)

You'll probably want a cover identity - a cheap fake SIN (really probably the corporate equivalent, Logos being a feral city), a cheap commlink (Unwired includes disposable commlinks designed for this purpose), and some cash. Don't skimp on Contacts, either.

Downloads
    Uploads
    OK. Here is my situation:
    1) Sign me up.
    2) I prefer Ventrilo for voice since I have it downloaded already.
    3) I don't have a preference regarding the other software since I've never used either.
    4) I have an incredible amount of 1st, 2nd, and 3rd edition knowledge since I GM it here where I live. I jumped off the train when 4th edition came around because I liked 3rd edition and, just skimming the new system, I didn't like it. However, I'm so desperate to play my favorite game that I don't care what the rule system. Also, it will probably grow on me once I get into it. So ultimately, I know the world and themes very well but will need to learn the system. I have access to all the books.
    5) I like the idea of running in Lagos. I have perused the write-up for possible use in my own game. I'm going to look it over again.
    6) Once I'm familiar with Lagos, I will make a character that fits the locale. I generally don't play the weird character. I like to play the stereotype. Having said that, I'm leaning toward a Face with some combat and maybe some decking. Probably a native.
    7) My best day and time is probably Friday at 4PM EST. But I probably can manage Saturday too.
    8) We should start establishing an e-mail thread outside PenAndPaper IMO. My e-mail is parcelbombsmurf@hotmail.com.

I look forward to meeting and playing SR with all of you.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm familiar with Shadowrun 4E. I GM and play the 4E system, but via the traditional in-person means. I am also interested in playing via Gametable/Maptools, since I never done that before. I don't have the time to GM online, but playing it I can spare only Friday evenings (1800 UTC -5), or anytime on Saturdays.

I'm okay with any setting, but prefer it to start small, so it wouldn't bog down the game and time. I suggest starting off as either gangers protecting turf, or maybe DocWagon employees.
    "Ok, you people! Sit tight, hold the fort, and keep the home fires burning. And if we're not back by dawn... call the president."

-- Jack Burton

Downloads
    Uploads
    i am only avaliable during the week so weekends are out for me

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'll read through Lagos. I really liked the character I had, but if he doesn't fit the setting, I'll make a new one.

I can be available either weekend day (australian time), so Friday night/ Saturday night US time is fine. I'll get up early if I have to. :-)

Downloads
    Uploads
    my only restriction on Saturdays is every other Saturday night (US EST) I run a descent campaign which would prevent me from participating. I am available almost any other time. I haven't read lagos yet but I can take a look. I like the idea of playing with a Technomancer with maybe some rigger tendencies. technos have some interesting possibilities such as hacking PANs, survailance/scouting and of course erasing our footprints after we leave a scene. I am currently re-reading all the game rules to get ready to play. if your really against matrix activity for party drone/security support I can probably come up with a mage character pretty easily.

I will play any setting although I am not familiar with logos. I do like doing extraction runs, stealth B&E with of course a good story. Anything that plays well with the shadows setting of a team.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I went back and read through Feral Cities and found that I really don't have to tweak anything to get some war in. (Mesh network stands but it's just a matter of probability shifting - unless I decide it's down at a given time, it's up.) While the kingdoms around Lagos are behind technologically, Ares Arms has this crazy efficient way of testing their new equipment. They sell it on the cheap to someone with a war on, then send engineers to watch it in action. That covers the gear from War! to the extent that I want it ('Oooh, I can put that in!'), and the combat tips range from not important to always useful.

parcelbombsmurf: Awesome. So far no one else has said anything about tool preference, so it looks like it'll be Vent and Maptool. The only problem is I can only listen to DOTA by Basshunter when I'm sitting in a Ventrilo chat. =/

Major Doom: Those are pretty much my only times, too, so that's cool. =p As far as starting small, I tend to think in a mission structure; I was thinking of a few small errands for locals before I threw anything crazy at the players.

primalzen: Urg. Unfortunately I'm at work from (quick mental conversion to Eastern Time) 4 PM to 1 AM Sunday through Friday (five days but it straddles midnight so looks like six), and I usually go to bed about 6 AM. So from what I can see unless you're available Friday nights your schedule and mine are unfortunately incompatible.

daiopowen: Off-hand the only thing I can see being at all a problem is the bus: according to the fluff, traffic in Lagos ranges from atrocious to cataclysmic. Well, that and 'underground' and 'Lagos' are either polar opposites or synonymous depending on how you look at it. There's no real law in feral cities, but a good gunsmith is always appreciated.

Emketos: I'm TOTALLY cool with Matrix action. I'm just not used to it. My last group had a combat rigger, but all he ever did with it was run his own drones and occasionally spoof one I sent in against them. It'll take some practice for me to get used to the rules but it shouldn't be too bad. Especially since it looks like we might have more than one Matrix type; that was one issue I had last time, that Matrix combat only involved one of my players.

The big difference between Lagos and, say, Seattle is that Lagos has no government and thus no police. (Fluffwise, also important is the 'no utilities.') On the bright side for shadowrunners is the fact that corps use it to do all kinds of things that they couldn't get away with anywhere else; in fact people are so poor that research subjects will sign themselves up for a few hundred bucks (or equivalent). Lagos is also the gunrunning, smuggling, and black market capitol of Africa, as these can all be done in the open in the marketplace. So there are lots of corp facilities, no cops to avoid on your way to or from them, and plenty of crowds to blend into. On the other hand shadowrunners are people too and thus can find themselves the victims of rampant crime; background counts in Lagos tend to be high because of the effects of VITAS and other things; and the Matrix is pretty shaky most places (it's a utility, after all, and there's no government to provide those).

I'd have preferred to play every week, but I also don't want to cut anyone out if I don't have to.

Downloads
    Uploads
    wait corps have trouble getting away with stuff in Seattle when did this happen? lol I think this actually makes things worse for the corps in lagos meaning now they have to worry about taking out the trash and water otherwise I can't see if there is any difference. I guess the only real difference is I dont really need to hide my guns much when out in public.

I am trying to put together a reasonable technomancer w/ some rigger abilities its a bit more difficult than I realized having to spread skills very thin to start. Question about auto-softs most tecno's programs aren't really programs per say how does that apply to auto-softs they really aren't complex forms but most riggers purchase their auto-softs starting anyways would the purchasable auto-softs work for tecnos. I am thinking for simplicity sake they would. I can work more on the character concept as I go I may end up being a little weak to start if I use this template but I like a challenge heh.

what are the current character types players are interested in if we have another hacker type I could easily play a mage as well I am not tied down as a techno.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast