Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Thread: Elemental power type things.

Downloads
    Uploads

Elemental power type things.

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    I'm looking to run a game where elemental powers is a big thing. I've started watching Avatar: The Last Airbender (Yes, I know, I'm very far behind.) and found myself inspired.

I did recently pick up a copy of Weapons of the Gods, but it feels so stuck in Ancient China that I'm unsure how well it would lend itself to a modern setting. That, and I'm fairly new to GMing, so trying to transfer a system seems a tad daunting.

So, any suggestions? Anything will be appreciated!

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, there are quite a few systems out there that can handle bending-like abilities. I think a good place to start is with your experience and intents.

What games are you familiar with? Being a player counts, if you've not run a specific game.

What sorts of things are you looking for in a game, apart from elemental powers? Setting-wise, you're probably not going to find a matched fit, but you can get in the same metaphoric ballpark.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm particuarly familiar witht he WoD system, mostly the base game, Changeling and some Vampire. Beyond that, I'm totally new.

Setting wise, something I can apply to modern times would be nice, but a change of setting to the past would be fine too, and anywhere in the world. (I'm being really non-specific here, it would seem. xD)

Okay, lemme try for some specifics. I'm used to making horror and suspenseful games, so having something more high fantasy would be pretty fun. If it's a game I can mix up setting with would be appreciated, but if it's based in the past rather than modern times then that's fine with me. And I can't think of much more beyond that, but I don't really know what more to say, so, any questions that'll help you to help me, then ask away. =D

Downloads
    Uploads
    If your familiar w/ WoD, check out Mage. You could use the section on Pattern Magic to control Matter (earth, wind, water) and Forces (fire).
    Limit your characters to just Prime and 1 Element - separating out the elements as their own Spheres.
    Since your characters will only have 2 spheres, you might want to create another skill similar to OWoD Mage's Arete to force players to spend points outside of their spheres or they will get very powerful. Alternately, create skills they have to master under their chosen element: Creating, Moving, Shaping, Attack, Defense.
    Also remember you can play around with the Spheres:
    * Add sub-spheres: Fire/lightning, Water/blood bending, Earth/metal bending.
    * Shift to the Asian Elements: Fire, Water, Earth, Wood, Metal