Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Adventure/Campaign Construction

Downloads
    Uploads

Adventure/Campaign Construction

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    I was just curious as to how much time everyone spent on creating adventures. How deep to you go? What level of detail do you use?

And campaigns too. how do you build your worlds? do you keep the same one or recreate every time? do you make big maps or start small and expand?

Etc., etc., etc.

Basically what goes into your construction and how long does it take?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah cause it takes thriondel about a month just to get started. ya know I still like ya though.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Chi View Post
    Yeah cause it takes thriondel about a month just to get started. ya know I still like ya though.
    yeah if you weren't bugging me all the time! jk sometimes it does take me awhile. i like to have a map of the whole world made first. before i ever start writing the adventure. which also takes me forever. or used to. we will see what happens. i used to try and write out every possible thing that could happen. but i am going to try and not do that any more

Downloads
    Uploads
    Campaigns are one thing, worlds are another. I spend about 2 - 3 hours a day preparing and writing adventure stuff, drawing maps, and generating NPC's and such. When it comes to the world I either use Eberron or my Homebrew.

In regards to the homebrew, 2008 marks the 10th year anniversary of when I began designing the world. To this day I still have only truly fleshed out one continent.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Like Kalanth I have been working my World/campaign forever. I started this world/campaign back in 85 as a player and 88 as a GM. Still I only have about a third of one continent sort of fleshed out. The rest of the world is a skeleton. lol But still I have run a few groups through it. Each time I start them in a different area further down the time-line.

As for how much planning I do for an adventure I pretty much follow the lead of the party. They pick the road and the sometimes the plan, I fill in the potholes and road blocks. lol Generally I plan about five "encounters" and keep all the monster stats so I can bring them up if and when I might need them again. I can change the stats to customize the encounters at the table if I need.

As for how much time I spend preparing, we generally play on Saturday so I start Sunday. I will go through and figure out the xp and any treasure and stat bumps first. I will e-mail the players the xp they get to spend however they want and fill in my spreadsheet the new stats. Then I begin to plan the next weeks encounters with what they were doing according to their plans and what I want to do to keep the players inside the time-line I have planned. I keep tweeking the encounters until I have about five sometimes more as I know they will not always follow my plans. This could take as little as five hours and as many as fifteen hours, but some of that time is mental work figuring out the logic of how their plans and my plans mesh.

Plus I paint minis to represent NPC's and build terrain pieces to center the play for coming weeks. It is almost a full time job it seems sometimes. Of course it helps that I don't really have a life.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Thriondel Half-Elven View Post
    I was just curious as to how much time everyone spent on creating adventures. How deep to you go? What level of detail do you use?

And campaigns too. how do you build your worlds? do you keep the same one or recreate every time? do you make big maps or start small and expand?

Etc., etc., etc.

Basically what goes into your construction and how long does it take?
    Five minutes, most of a month. What am I doing and why?

Abba Sanctuary took me four weeks of pounding the keys. Four solid weeks of pounding the keys to finish the eight levels.

Last week I spent half an hour getting ready. Mainly stating up the baddy.

I usual put more back story into the scenario than the players will ever see simply to give me better hooks on the NPCs. When I have something of the little guys' motivations the world sparkles. It doesn't feel like a plywood backdrop in a cheap movie. You feel you can walk anywhere do anything and there will be people with lives and stories. And I WANT IT THAT WAY!!

That is where most of the work comes in. Keeping it real.

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    My favorite game console is a table and chairs.
    The Olde Phoenix Inn

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Up to now, I have always used premade campaigns. I would have the major encounters all wrote up, to make sure the game flowed smoothly. I would also have about 10 random encounters planned out, that could be dropped into where ever they were needed while the party moved about.

I am starting to make my own campaign world now, so I am not sure how long it will take with this being my first try at it. I will try to keep posted my progress, maybe in a separate thread so as not to derail this one.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The more work I put into the game or world, the smaller percentage the characters' part in it is, so I try not to overdo it for fear of turning the players into spectators for my amateur noveling attempts.

I created the world containing Perinor in a little over an hour:

http://www.worldsedge.org/perinor.html

If anyone has an idea for their character that depends on something existing in the world that I haven't created yet, that thing gets created. Perinor had a near civil war 20 years ago because a character's backstory was made more interesting by it being there.

For plots and adventures, I spend the whole week thinking on and off about what I'm going to put in, the implications of having this or that creature or plot twist, etc, and then, hours before the game starts, I pull out the books and crunch out the monsters, maps, and treasure. This last part takes an hour or two, depending on how energetic I feel.

All in all, very efficient. I'd say our scribe works a lot harder blogging the game than I do creating it:

http://worldsedge-kate.blogspot.com

A previous game I ran was not efficient at all. I'd not only map areas, but cast them in plaster so the map would be 3d. I'd paint minins several hours a week. I've produced an 80-page handout containing the creation legends of the world, and a 40 page journal describing the adventures of the group whose stuff the PCs were just now finding in the Dragon's horde, both in the same week. I think my current players like the 1-hour-of-work campaign better- partially because I'm less stressed about having a big return on all my work, and partially because the characters are a much larger part of the story.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by tesral View Post
    I usual put more back story into the scenario than the players will ever see simply to give me better hooks on the NPCs. When I have something of the little guys' motivations the world sparkles. It doesn't feel like a plywood backdrop in a cheap movie. You feel you can walk anywhere do anything and there will be people with lives and stories. And I WANT IT THAT WAY!!
    I couldn't agree more. I usually put a ton of work into the npc's and thier backgrounds which in turn makes the world more alive for me. I hope that then translates to the players and they get the same feeling. I also require players to write a fairly substantial background for thier characters so I can use that to intertwine the characters into the main plot and world around them.

I feel that the more work the DM does in the background on the world the more free he can be with the players. If I have everything fleshed out and have a true living breathing world and not just stat blocks I don't have to limit the characters at all. They are free to do what ever they please and the campaign doesn't feel linear.

Jeff

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Looks like a good group of DMs - putting in their due diligence.

I started making a world once. Global map, astral bodies, pillars of magic. Then when I spent dozens of hours on one little duchy, I realized the rest of that world didn't even need drawing. I mean, if today's enlightened Americans have trouble naming all the continents and oceans, why should anyone in a fantasy world know what's out there?

"Here there be dragons."

So now I'm limiting my writing to a general campaign plot, the next 5 - 7 encounters, and a handful of key players. By all means, let there be more to the world than that, but let that be improv, not planned. Your social life depends on it!