Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Click here to go to the first special guest post in this thread.   Thread: Its A Shame

Downloads
    Uploads

Its A Shame

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    This website, in particular the Tulsa Area Gamers forum, has so much potential as a meeting place. If people would stop hiding in the weeds I think we could have a good community of players. I know your out there...
    "Death smiles at us all. All a man can do is smile back." ~Maximus Decimus Meridius

Downloads
    Uploads
    i am new and here lol

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi Howlinghawk, Im new to the forum also. Been playing D&D 1e and 2e since I was in elementary school. Currently Im trying to wrap my mind around 4e. Its a bit of a slow progress. Im so use to the way that the game mechanics use to be, that in my mind, I find myself converting them to 2e. Im sure thats not helping, if not actually slowing me down. So what kinda games do you play? Are you new to the state?
    "Death smiles at us all. All a man can do is smile back." ~Maximus Decimus Meridius

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Not a D&D'er but I live in northeast Oklahoma, between Claremore and Vinita on Hwy 66, about 50 mins from Tulsa, good to see another gamer. I've got a friend I visit occasionally nearby (I don't drive a lot) and we sometimes played games, he and his nephew and stepson and their friends, but they've got their own groups of friends now that they GM for, so our groups sort of evaporated, so I just have started a little play-by-post tryout here on this site, might run a one-shot chat game or something.
    Abstruse Decapod

"It's apparently a lesbian romance about the world ending due to bears. I've been meaning to run it by Utgardloki." -Anon

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi jpatterson...yeah I dont drive a lot myself. That makes it really hard to go to events and tournaments where you can network and make "gamer friends". Then theirs always the problem of finding the time to network esp if you have a family. Thats why I think this forum could be a valuable tool. You can be home...make friends and find games...find player to join your group and at the same time make the wife happy ~big grin~ So whats your game of choice?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    There are also virtual table top programs available so that groups can play online. I know there are at least a few people on the site here that play using these programs, and have groups composed of player from all over the country. This might make it easier to get in some game time, and you needn't even leave the house. I've often thought of trying it out myself, but instead decided to use the time to work on miniatures and terrain, because I like that sort of thing. Plus I worry about waking the wife and kid up, because I could only play at night.
    It's as if there are people who play RPGs that don't have computers or something. Seriously, people need to upgrade to 1994 already. - - -TheRedRobedWizard

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The play by post game I'm running here in my own social group right now is a fan-made CoC scenario but I'm running it using Feng Shui, the Hong Kong action movie system, because that scenario just doesn't strike me as terribly Lovecraftian, but it's simple and as I noted, pretty open to simple player actions and showcasing stunts and color - unfortunately my initial 6 players have dropped to 3 and I'm fortunate to have kept them.

My group that dissolved, we usually played Call of Cthulhu, or Warhammer FRP 2nd Edition for our fantasy standard, and I was getting them to play a couple sessions of FS here and there, but it hadn't caught on yet. We played Last Unicorn Games' Star Trek a couple times (it was okay), one aborted game of Serenity/Firefly, umm... been a while... I was going to try WEG's D6, have a sci-fi/horrorish scenario but my friend ran a mock combat with me and the combat was way too fast and brutal for the cinematic feel I was wanting. I wanted to run Cthulhu Dark Ages but as I said, the group *pfft'ed* so that chance was all gone.

I mostly frequent my own social group and the chatroom on this site. I've played one session using a vtt or whatever, I think it was OpenRPG? It was a D&D 3.5 game and the GM... well, I found that session not to have been something that made me want to play the game or with him again, but I had previously decided I didn't want to play D&D anyway, so that wasn't necessarily all on that guy.

My family calls me spontaneously to do stuff so I'm rarely able to set aside the same blocks of time the same days of the week, consistently, to do any sort of regular campaign or gaming sessions - I might be able to do one shots now and then or a 2-3 session adventure, so I could play in or run a realtime online game, but anything of a longer life than that is pretty unlikely, also partly because mentally, I can't justify being here, at home, and telling anybody that comes over or calls "I can't do X, I'm got time set aside to do this game with this people online" - it never felt right when playing WoW, so I never did those raids and stuff - if I was in a dungeon or instance, I just got up and left if I had to. If I'm at someone else's table with other people, or there's a pack of people around mine, it's one thing to say "Look, I got company" if someone calls wanting something, but if it's just me sitting at my computer, I just can't say "Look, I got... company... logged in... on the computer... " Like I said, I could do it now and then, but as a regular thing, I can't bring myself to justify it, which is why I do pbp so far - I've run about half a dozen, though this is the first one I've used an actual full system besides the extremely rules-lite Wushu.

I wouldn't mind trying a session or whatever though, and am looking at writing an adventure or two, or running something, and am looking into Savage Worlds right now, and CoC, etc.
    Last edited by jpatterson; 08-29-2010 at 06:03 AM.
    Abstruse Decapod

"It's apparently a lesbian romance about the world ending due to bears. I've been meaning to run it by Utgardloki." -Anon

Downloads
    Uploads
    This is coming from someone that has never played a play by post game or any RPG on line, but I cant imagine that is anywhere near as fun as sitting at a table. The interaction between players, the feel of the dice in your hand, the party's thief passing the DM a note to do something, etc etc. I would think there would be a huge disconnect and the "magic" would be gone.

I understand the convenience and Im not saying its not fun. Its just seems like its the difference of driving a remote control car compared to driving a real car, its kinda of the same but not really, if that makes sense to you.
    Last edited by Abaddon; 08-29-2010 at 12:01 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I was kinda hopeing someone would reply to my last post. Tell me Im wrong and Im looking at it the wrong way or something. So was I right about post by games or online RPG's?
    Last edited by Abaddon; 09-01-2010 at 02:36 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    while both are fun each has there appeals.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I figure this is as good of a place to make a first post as any!

Hey there. I'm a complete pen & paper gaming neophyte looking for his first group, hopefully playing D&D 4e, in or around Tulsa.

And Abaddon, though I've yet to play my first game, just from reading player handbooks and fiddling with D20s, I can tell that I completely agree with you. Real, physical game play beats an online simulation any day.

Downloads
    Uploads
    welcome to the boards lokhos i am also looking for a game. I am gona play in abaddons game. I played 3.5 like 5 or 6 years ago but looking foreward to trying 4.0

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi Lokhos...you should try and make it to Kirk's (kirksmithicus) game on the 11th of this month. He posted the details on the forum today you should check it out. I should be there as well as howlinghawk. It will be a great chance for everyone to get together and have some fun. If this your first game it will be an excellent opportunity for you. Not only to learn D&D but you will get to see first hand thats its a great community people.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Good luck to everyone on the upcoming planned game, hope it goes great for everyone!

My reply isn't related to that, but the comment about online gaming.

My play by post game here folded the other day - my 6 players turned into 3 over the course of one week, and 2 of those 3 both lost internet connection in unrelated snafus, so I'll just say in this particular case, it simply wasn't meant to happen - that last player said he felt he and I were the only ones putting forth effort (which actually seemed sort of true) and he didn't feel it was justified to continue, so he withdrew from the game even though he wasn't having any problems. Players and online gaming is a fickle activity.

Especially on this site, play-by-post, even if you update twice a week, is very unpopular, with the majority of members, at least the people I've talked to in the chatroom (where I "hang out" most of the time) - it's just not nearly fast enough, not enough immediate gratification. One guy even complains realtime chat or virtual tabletop (vtt) application clients like openRPG is "too slow" because it's not VOIP, live voice, "we have to type everything out". Talk about instant gratification - he'd think play by post was like telegrams.

I personally enjoy play by post and have run 6, though on non-gaming sites, and had 5-10 players every time and they stuck to it all the way to the end and everyone said they enjoyed it, I always had pages and pages of paragraph-long posts. I come here, to an actual gaming site, and can't even get it to last three weeks, go figure. Again, the other rule here, besides "pbp sucks" is "D&D is awesome", so running a non-D&D pbp game just made my skyrocket to the top of the P&PG celebrity list.

Like I think I said before, I'm going to try my hand at running a chatroom game since it has diceroll functions, using Savage Worlds probably, as I've not done it and that's a fairly simple system, and it is close to tabletop, in the activity is fairly "realtime" - I'm not crazy about having to set aside a chunk of hours but not have the interaction and change of scenery and such like you do at a house, but it's not a bad second, I guess. But no of course it can't be compared to it directly - but it is the virtual analog to it, with voice and webcam I guess being the only closer way to emulate that kind of experience.
    Last edited by jpatterson; 09-02-2010 at 08:52 PM.
    Abstruse Decapod

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sounds like no matter the format anyone plays...table...post...we all have the same problems of keeping a group together. Its frustrating, I dont remember having that problem when I was younger. Than again none of had any responsibilities outside of school. Ahh the good ol days huh? Play for hours and hours on end and let the world pass you by.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast