Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Thread: DM Looking For 4ed D&D Players

Downloads
    Uploads

DM Looking For 4ed D&D Players

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    I am making a jump from 2ed to 4th D&D. I have 4 confirmed PCs (from newbie to XP) and am looking to add to the party. Im still in the process of leaning new game mechanics and mapping out the campaign. So Im a couple weeks away from showtime. There is a some what mixed age group of players (19-38). But should be fun no matter your age. We are a laid back group.

Im obligated to tell you there WILL BE children in the house. Myself as well as some of the players have kids. We have a play room in the back for them (IE Xbox 360) so the distraction's should be few. But kids are kids...

I live in the Chouteau/Maize County area but will soon (30 days) move to a larger house (IE more room for games) 10 miles north to Pryor (still Maize County). I'll update my map when that happens. So be aware of that if you plan on traveling.

Freaks and Geeks Welcome...Weirdos Need Not Apply!
    "Death smiles at us all. All a man can do is smile back." ~Maximus Decimus Meridius

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Freaks and Geeks Welcome...Weirdos Need Not Apply![/QUOTE]

LMAO
    It's as if there are people who play RPGs that don't have computers or something. Seriously, people need to upgrade to 1994 already. - - -TheRedRobedWizard

Downloads
    Uploads
    I like your signature card Kirk...reminds me of Conan:

Mongol General: Conan! What is best in life?
    Conan: To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.
    Mongol General: That is good! That is good.
    "Death smiles at us all. All a man can do is smile back." ~Maximus Decimus Meridius

Downloads
    Uploads
    you counting me as one of the 4?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hey howlinghawk, that post/thread was writing before we contacted each other. So you would be the 5th player. We officially have a group!!! As of now it looks like everyone schedules are compatible (thats a miracle). But some of the players work on a rotating shift (off Fri Sat Sun, on one week, off Wed Thur the next). So to meet your schedule and theirs (to be able to play once a week) we would play Fri one week and Thur the next.

OK with that said, my schedule is more complicated. I could Have Not Picked A Worse Time to organize a D&D game.

1. Im building 4th from the ground up. That takes time and money and I dont have a lot of each. As most DMs will tell you they burden the cost and its not cheap. I have only been into 4e for a month have already spent $300. Thats just for basic materials, core books, more dice (its amazing to me that no-one that wants to play even owns any) etc etc. On top of that I have to find the time to re-learn a game I know forward and backwards...and in between find time for my wife, kids and everyday life.

2. I read in your message " i haven't played 4th but figure cant be to diffrent". Wrong...wrong and wrong. Its and entirely diffrent game! The mechanics have been totally re-written from top to bottom. Thats why its taking me so long to learn and organize and having to buy materials. There is no conversion from other editions and its D&D in name only. The mechanics are written and focus on miniatures also (more money dammit). So when I do this, as a DM, I am gonna make sure its done right and that I have a very clear understanding of the game.

3. I have some personal issues going on right now. Medical problems and Im getting ready to move. As far as the moving part it should work out better for you. I'll be 10 miles closer to your location and in a larger house.

So hang in there, its gonna take some time but it will happen.

Downloads
    Uploads
    i plan to pick up some books my self soon player ones and maybe vault ones if that helps. havnt seen any minitures for sale. they in stores still?

---------- Post added at 05:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:06 PM ----------

oh and i found a character generator thing on dnd insiders web site. you might find it handy lots of info there as well

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    1. Im building 4th from the ground up. That takes time and money and I dont have a lot of each. As most DMs will tell you they burden the cost and its not cheap. I have only been into 4e for a month have already spent $300. Thats just for basic materials, core books, more dice (its amazing to me that no-one that wants to play even owns any) etc etc. On top of that I have to find the time to re-learn a game I know forward and backwards...and in between find time for my wife, kids and everyday life.

2. I read in your message " i haven't played 4th but figure cant be to diffrent". Wrong...wrong and wrong. Its and entirely diffrent game! The mechanics have been totally re-written from top to bottom. Thats why its taking me so long to learn and organize and having to buy materials. There is no conversion from other editions and its D&D in name only. The mechanics are written and focus on miniatures also (more money dammit). So when I do this, as a DM, I am gonna make sure its done right and that I have a very clear understanding of the game.

3. I have some personal issues going on right now. Medical problems and Im getting ready to move. As far as the moving part it should work out better for you. I'll be 10 miles closer to your location and in a larger house.

So hang in there, its gonna take some time but it will happen.[/QUOTE]

Yes indeed, the burden, financial and time wise all to often falls on the DM alone. People want to play, but don't want to put anything in to get it started. It is amazing how a simple suggestion of; "everyone chip in $5 a game, with the total to be matched by the DM" (and spent on game materials) would get rid of a lot of players. No doubt the same players who would have no problem spending $15 on dinner every game session. But such is life.

I can give you some of the card stock tokens as well, that way you need not invest in the monster mini's unless you want too. They also have tokens for the various marks and bloodied etc, that may also be of some use.

The difference between 2e and 4e is probably huge. You'll figure it out though, I didn't even play 2e or 3e. Focus on keeping the game fun and the story going, the rest can be fudged until you figure all the fiddly bits out. I still have trouble remembering rules myself.

The character builder is a good option for several reasons. It makes creating characters easier and automatically adds all the bonuses and such and it tells you what stacks and doesn't etc. It kinda makes character creation a no-brainer, plus it prints out the characters powers which is nice. On the other hand, if you do character creation by hand it takes longer, but you really figure out how things work, and you will probably mess things up, characters do tend to get a bit more complicated than they used to. The CB also has a lot of errata that is different from printed source material. From what I can tell they don't play test a lot of these things before they get printed. You can download it for free and use it for characters levels 1-3. If you want to use it beyond that you can a monthly subscription for about $10 bucks and then you can put it on five computers, so it comes out to about 2 bucks a player. Really you don't have to even do it monthly, just a one time purchase should give you access to everything they have put out so far, but of course if they come out with new material you are interested in you'd have to get an update.

Anyway, at this point I seem to just be rambling so I'll quite.
    It's as if there are people who play RPGs that don't have computers or something. Seriously, people need to upgrade to 1994 already. - - -TheRedRobedWizard

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by kirksmithicus View Post
    Yes indeed, the burden, financial and time wise all to often falls on the DM alone. People want to play, but don't want to put anything in to get it started. It is amazing how a simple suggestion of; "everyone chip in $5 a game, with the total to be matched by the DM" (and spent on game materials) would get rid of a lot of players. No doubt the same players who would have no problem spending $15 on dinner every game session. But such is life.
    Well said and a very good idea. If a game lasted 5 hours thats a $1 an hour, now where can you find entertainment that cheap? Not only that but the DM would invest that money for future games. So its a win for everyone and you would take a huge burden off the DM. But your right that would never happen. I would be happy if everyone came over with a bag of chips (or frozen pizza) and a 12 pack of Mt Dew. For some reason a lot of people (but not all) think thats a DM responsibility also. Im just saying sometimes people have no idea the TIME and MONEY a DM invests to make sure everyone has a good time. At least treat him to free pizza when the doorbell rings...
    Last edited by Abaddon; 09-02-2010 at 09:39 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    i saw amazon had books cheaper then alot places

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by howlinghawk View Post
    i saw amazon had books cheaper then alot places
    Thats where I have bought a majority of my materials. As far as books go I haven't seen anyone come close to beating their prices (including local shops). I got the 3 core book set for $66.12 with free shipping. I also get emails about upcoming titles from WotC with good discounts if you pre-order. Amazon also has a good selection of dice. As far as miniatures go I would check out the links Kirk posted.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Its almost Showtime....I have room for one more player. The group is assembled as follows: Half-Orc Barbarian, Half-Elf Cleric of Pelor, Female Eladrin Wizard, Human Fighter. Drop me a message if interested...this would be a good time to join the group.