Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Campaign Summary
Campaign Summary Genre: Fantasy
System Used: Pathfinder
Style: 50% Roleplaying / 50% Combat
Desired # of Players: 4
Game Location City: Hermitage
State: TN
Zip Code / Postal Code: 37076
Game Times Frequency: Weekly
Days of Week: Saturday
Online Game Details Online Game?: No
Additional Options Looking for Players?: Yes
Google Map
Loading Map...

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Pathfinder - Adventure path game

Downloads
    Uploads
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    The bonus type is important here. A competence bonus never overcomes DR, but an enchantment bonus does. You can also impart special damage types (+1d6 fire/cold/electricity) to a magical weapon or, once you reach the +2 level with Bladethirst, impart the same to non-magical weapons. Bladethirst starts at 6th level as well. So if all you need is a bonus to hit then Courage works better, but if you need to attack a particular weakness or overcome some form of DR, Bladethirst works better. Finally, Inspire Courage is limited to a +4 bonus, while Bladethirst can reach +5. The two Performances are complementary.
    Last edited by Gavril; 08-31-2010 at 10:16 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks! Okay, another question I have, looking to the future, is how useful the Fear spell is. Are there many times that we would actually want to send fleeing away into a dungeon? Wouldn't they likely just come back with reinforcements?

Downloads
    Uploads
    The Fear spell is useful at low levels but becomes pretty useless the higher you get -- it doesn't take much to get past the 5 HD limit, and lots of creatures are immune to fear effects. Whether they come back depends on the creature -- a relatively dumb or low morale creature probably won't come back with reinforcements. The bigger help is actually that, if you plan it correctly, the other party members may get attacks of opportunity on the creature as it breaks and runs.

In terms of 1st level bard spells, in my opinion the best for combat are as follows: sleep, hideous laughter, grease, and then cause fear. Many of the other spells are great in certain situations -- like charm person & hypnotism, comprehend languages, alter self, etc.

Downloads
    Uploads
    In terms of Cause Fear, I'd say the above is a good answer. Fear (3rd level Bard Spell) is a little more useful. In both cases, it can also be a good way to run out the clock on summoned monsters when dealing with spellcasters that can fill up a battlefield with help.

For my money, I'd strongly suggest the "situation spells", particularly charm person and sleep (which can be swapped out at higher levels). We have a very bad weak spot right now in terms of capturing foes alive. By there very nature, APs have building story lines, killing everything in sight can leave a party at an extreme disadvantage. Goons can be killed pretty unthinkingly, but mid-tier leader types need to be captured and information extracted in order to deal with the big bads. The -4 to hit penalty for non-lethal damage is pretty harsh at low level, so spells that incapacitate are a lot easier to manage for this (barring elves that have way too good a saving throw, obviously ).

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks guys.. it's much appreciated. Next question is, if I buy a wand of a given spell, how does that wand work with regard to effects that build off of level.

Just as an example, a Wand of Unseen Servant. Its duration increases "1 hour/level". If I want to be able to use the wand at level 2, would it need to be made as a level 1 or 2 wand? In which case, it would have 1 or 2 hour's duration? What happens when I become level 3? Does it still only have the duration with which it was made? Or does my level affect it in any way?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Wands have a fixed caster level, chosen at the time the wand is created. It must be equal to the lowest level at which the spell can be cast minimum, but can be as high as the caster's actual level. For instance, a Wand of Cause Fear created by a 5th level wizard (minimum needed to Craft Wand), could have a castyer level of anything from 1 to 5. A Wand of Fireballs must have a caster level of at least 5, so a 5th level wizard or 6th level sorcerer could craft it. The cost of the wand is equal to Spell Level X Caster Level X 750 gp.

So, a Caster Level 2 Wand of Unseen Servant would cost 1,500 gp and have a fixed duration of 2 hours. Item creation rules start on p 549 in the Core Rulebook.

There is a prestige class that allows you to substitue your caster level and/or caster attribute for the wand's (or other spell completion device), but normally your caster level and caster attribute doesn't matter. The Wand has the fixed effect selected by the crafter at creation time.
    Last edited by Gavril; 09-03-2010 at 05:46 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Do you happen to know which prestige class that is? If there was a way to swing it and still remain close to my character idea, that would be an awesome ability!

Downloads
    Uploads
    The Magician's Wand Mastery allows you to use your own Chr bonus. I thought I saw one to use your own caster level somewhere...but I can't seem to find it now.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Do you guys have any insights on the Bardic Performance skill Fascinate? I'm having a hard time thinking of situations where it would be terribly useful and would love some advice.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think I finally figured out what I was thinking about with using your own caster level. Staves are now built so that they always use your own caster level and ability modifier, making them vastly more useful at higher levels, even if they are limited to 10 charges, and can only recover 1 charge per day.

Fascenate is obviously a very "non combat" action, and with what has been happening most recently not something there is much use for. In AP2, we have more going on inside a big city, and being able to keep the guard looking one way while eveyone else sneaks past fully armed and armored is not a bad thing. At higher levels, it's a prereq for suggestion, making it even more useful. Basically any time it would be useful to have someones attention, in a non-combat situation, otherwise occupied, its a nice ability to have.

---------- Post added at 09:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:08 PM ----------

Here's my question for the night...has anyone seen any rules for aquiring henchmen. The Paladin description still references cohorts, henchmen and followers, so there seem to be 3 distinct things (2 of which are listed under Leadership) but I can't find any rules anywhere for what is considered a henchmen or how they are procured.

In the same vein....has anyone seen anything definitive on how many cohorts once can have. The boards seems to sometimes say one, sometimes say any number and sometimes say once per time you take leadership. Obviously a leader needs to have a handful of loyal and skilled retainers for holding down the castle while he's off adventuring, but I am having some trouble with figuring out how to do this is the Pathfinder ruleset.

At some point, I am thinking about building a "new lighthouse" on cutter's island (connected to the Catacombs of Wrath) as a base of operations. I figure it can be fortified without becoming a keep that might create political problems. I know I will want a dwarven engineer for a cohort to be responsible for all the constructions and such, but a few more people I can really depend on would be nice.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I assume you've already seen it, but I came across it here: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/leadership---final.

I was wondering if anyone of us has taken, or plans to take Mending as one of the Level 0 spells?

Downloads
    Uploads
    The SRD is the same thing as in the Core Book unfortunately. There seems to be considerable doubt as to whether being able to attract "a" cohort means one or more than one as "a" is the indefinite. There is also a great big glaring whole where "henchmen" belong, as the Paladin class specifically mentions them but there seem to be no rules of discussions on the matter anywhere!

At least part of the problem seems to stim from "style". The designers (quite rightly) don't want to just let every party member drag along 5+ extras only 2 levels behind themselves without any XP penalty. At the same time, a party member that establishes a freehold could reasonably be expected to have 3-4 loyal cohorts (i.e. leveled individuals only slightly less experienced than the party itself) to maintain and run things while the "lord" is off adventuring with his friends. Instead of making any hard and fast rules, they appear to have just left things indefinite enought to fill pages of on-line discussion with no clear answers.

I am not planning on taking any spells, opting for the hunter's tricks available to rangers instead, so I can't help with any spellcraft.

Downloads
    Uploads
    You can only take Leadership once. Your cohort(by rules as written could take Leadership, and get a cohort and so on. This however, I don't agree with and won't allow). I'm not really sold on the Leadership feat, as far as having a cohort travel with you. That only relates to former gaming groups abusing things like Leadership, and so on. I don't see anything that mentions mechanical differences between cohort and henchman or henchman/follower. I realize cohorts or of a specific level below you, and followers are potentially numerous fans of yours.

You can send messages like these through the Yahoo website. I've not received any alerts about messages from this forum, and come to find out there is two pages of comments I've missed.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567