Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

View Poll Results: Gamma World w/4E rules being released later this year...

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Thanks for the sci-fi activity/update, Thoth

9 27.27%
  • Oh, sooo very cool

9 27.27%
  • Haven't played it for years. Gotta check it out

6 18.18%
  • It's 4e? Ugh, not so interested

12 36.36%
  • It's 4E... I love 4E. Will only make the game even more cooler!

6 18.18%
  • Poll Lurker Option for the site lurkers that prefer to vote their mind.

3 9.09%
  • Other, for there is always an other, for the... others

3 9.09%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dungeons & Dragons—Gamma World: Gamma World RPG Box, preorder October 2010

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    After all the latest information, I regret pre-ordering it. Since I used PayPal, I already spent the money, and the merchant doesn't have a "cancel" link. (Yeah, it's just an e-mail, but it's a pain.)

It still might be interesting. My original interest was seeing a stripped-down version of 4e, transplanted to another genre.
    "On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
    - Charles Babbage (1791 - 1871)

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    So what is the latest information?

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    My favorite game console is a table and chairs.
    The Olde Phoenix Inn

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by tesral View Post
    So what is the latest information?
    Pretty much what others have discussed: randomized booster packs for mutations and "Omega Tech", different random mutations every day, the LHC-based back-story (which I could change, but still), some of the wackier character types.

The original articles by WotC:

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.a...d/4ex/20100913

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.a...d/4ex/20100917

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.a...d/4ex/20100920
    "On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
    - Charles Babbage (1791 - 1871)

Downloads
    Uploads
    I like some of the concepts of the game, but not sure I like the direction that was taken. Game concepts, I like the idea of the swarm character type! Unique concept of your character's consciousness spread out among a number of individuals instead of just one creature.
    Skunk
    a.k.a. Johnprime

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    D&D Gamma World???? Do they have to mix D&D into everything? The card deck idea I do not like. Stop trying to mix collectible cards in my role-playing dammit. I do not want my role-playing experiance to be dictated by how much money I've spent on booster packs. For my taste the wrong things are random. I want control of the characters origins. What if I don't want to play a giant bug? What if I do, but the rolls don't let me?

From the excepts read the game is sounding more like Talisman than any RPG. Part board game, part Magic the Gathering Money. Yep, I was right, it sucks.

The Olde Phoenix Inn

Downloads
    Uploads
    I did like Gamma world as a kid. It was far better than Boot Hill or Star Frontiers (IMHO). Sci fi has always been a passion of mine, but unfortunately most of my nerdy friends are stuck in the dark ages.

As for collectible cards, I want none of that nonsense!!!!! If it is a stripped down ( buy less ) version of 4e, it might be worth the throw to get people playing.
    Most men lead lives of quiet desperation.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Although I am disgusted by the "randomized" card packs element, I have to say that I have been (much to my surprise) actually intrigued about the new edition. After learning that it wasn't going to require any of the D&D4E books to play, I became much more open to the idea of picking it up.

Admittedly, I quickly discarded any pretenses of trying to compare it to older editions of Gamma World and instead look upon it as a sort of mutant-offspring of Gamma World and TORG or Rifts. The sort of game where the entire point is the unpredictability of the wacky powers and the gonzo technology. The "powers change constantly" didn't bother me as I thought it might, again probably because what little I know of the "background" for the new edition is more like TORG (a la a rainbow of parallel dimensions ebbing, churning and fighting for dominance).

I'll definately have to play it at least once to see if it proves to be as much unadulterated, doesn't-take-itself-seriously fun as it sounds.
    HARRY DRESDEN — WIZARD
    Lost items found. Paranormal Investigations.
    Consulting. Advice. Reasonable Rates.
    No Love Potions, Endless Purses, or Other Entertainment.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by rabkala View Post
    As for collectible cards, I want none of that nonsense!!!!! If it is a stripped down ( buy less ) version of 4e, it might be worth the throw to get people playing.
    I could get behind a lot of 4E stuff. I buy minis now where I didn't before and that's okay because my kids like to play with them between sessions. I feel a little insulted by the collectible cards. I do want the good folks at Wizards to be employed but I don't think Magic is dying out any time soon. I wouldn't be surprised though if they add a program to Compendium on Insider to create our own cards. We just need a nice photo quality printer, card stock, chop block, laminate... Where do I get the booster packs?
    Never make the DM chip in for the pizza!

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Minis are just fun. I've bought a few of the Forry minis and I wouldn't touch the books with a ten foot pole. A miniture is not limited to the game it is made for.

The Olde Phoenix Inn

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by tesral View Post
    Minis are just fun. I've bought a few of the Forry minis and I wouldn't touch the books with a ten foot pole. A miniture is not limited to the game it is made for.
    Here, here! Just gotta look good in your personal opinion!
    Skunk
    a.k.a. Johnprime

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    D&D minis are not the best looking you will find. the plastic has some advantage over pewter. Transparent and translucent bits for example. I could never paint a fire elemental or water elemental as well as the translucent minis. For the most part paint is so-so. But they are nigh indestructible. I have the lot in a plastic file tub sorted into ziplock bags.

I was disappointed in the Forry Balrog because they didn't use any of the translucent plastic. The other Forry minis of the "huge" size they use plenty of it, but not the balrog, poor call on their part I think.

The Olde Phoenix Inn

Downloads
    Uploads
    Grabbed Gamma World. Played it. Loved it. Will play it again.
    Most I've laughed in a roleplaying game in quite a while.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Well I got it for Christmas. I just looked at it last night. My 11 soon to be 12-year old saw it and wants to play. I told her she's too young (in a kidding tone) and she pointed out that the box says 12 and up. Guess we'll play.

I'm thinking of making it into a version of Sid and Marty's Land of the Lost. We rented the DVD a while back. My kid loved them. The best part was the commentary provided by the actors who played Will and Holly.

The integration with 4e is handy so I can use all of the dino-like monsters in there. I clearly can see how to use the dual origin characters as Archtypes.

If it works out I'll blog it.
    Never make the DM chip in for the pizza!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I never played the Original GammaWorld, but I played the 3.5/D20 version, and I love the setting.
    It worked well in the previous D20 system because the system really lent itself towards customization and crazyness.
    My character was an AI teddy bear that went combat mad after his child was killed and started upgrading himself with salvaged combat robot parts. He had armor plating under his plush exterior and a railgun in his arm under a zipper.
    I can't imagine any possible way that 4E rules could have the same level of customizability or character design. The way the character advancement and creation is stramlined in the 4E ruleset just doesn't seem like the best option for Gamma World's setting.
    'Cuz I've been gamin' and rollin' so long, that even the late Gary thinks my mind is gone...

http://www.obsidianportal.com/profile/anarkitty
    http://forum.emperorschildren.net/viewtopic.php?t=2862

Downloads
    Uploads
    Actually it's all about customisation and craziness. The game mechanics take a back seat to the improvisation, wackiness and bringing on the gonzo.
    Unlike base D&D4 it also includes random character generation.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12