Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Thread: Retro-modern?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Retro-modern?

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Does anyone have experience with a d20 Modern setting in historical or mythic times, such as OGL Ancients from Mongoose? I just downloaded the PDF, and it looks interesting. (I also bought Grim Tales, but most of it looks like a recap of Modern, with some interesting bits thrown in at the end.)
    "On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
    - Charles Babbage (1791 - 1871)

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by fmitchell View Post
    Does anyone have experience with a d20 Modern setting in historical or mythic times {...} ?
    Still waiting for an answer? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?
    "On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I've often considered a d20 pulp campaign. But before I put it to paper, it always ends up tossed in my head because I don't have the historical knowledge or feel I've the means to convey such a setting. In my latest d20 horror/dark world, I would send the players back in time to the 30's on occasion. But it would never last beyond one or two games and it always involved fixing some time stream something. In those occasions, they would be fighting Nazis or doing something in Boston.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've thought about running a d20 Modern historical campaign set in Europe during WWI with some major nods toward CoC. Something about the dark days of trench warfare just scares the crap out of me anyway; when you add supernatural aspects to it, it's even worse. Put some zombies in those trenches, make the Black Hand servants of Nyarlathotep, and make those clouds of mustard gas much, much more than just chemicals. It creeps me out just thinking about the possibilities.
    Your pal,

Adam Bomb

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Adam,

I really think you're onto something there. It'd be definitely gritty and evil all rolled up into one.

I'd also use worgen during the full moon out in the trenches.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I always wanted to play in a WWII d20 game set in Harry Turtledove's World War Series with the alien invasion.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Great series I loved the detail that he put into all the characters and I agree that would make a great game.
    "Hey wich one of you punks stole Dr.Rockso's banana?"

Downloads
    Uploads
    A Evil Dead Modern d20 now that would be fun.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I found the new edition of Call of Cthulhu seemed pretty close to D20 modern, albeit with sanity rules and Great Old Ones.

I think that looking through that sourcebook would give you good ideas on how to set a campaign in an older time period. It has a few equipment tables that compare certain goods and sevices between the 1920's and the 2000's. It has another section later on that gives a brief synopsis of the events of every decade between 1890 and modern day. It's a pretty cool section because it describes the events in a decidedly dark light, though that may not be necessary for every modern game.

Basically, the book goes over things that you could probably get from having a decent basis in history, but it puts it all together to make it easier to use in a roleplaying game.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes, that would be pretty cool!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I ran a short-lived but VERY enjoyable Pulp Era (1930's) D20 Modern/D20 Past game via IM's and chat with some friends for a while. If you're interested in a specific genre or era but are less knowledgable about that era, one thing I'd suggest is looking unto source material designed for other games, toss out the numbers and just rely on the fluff. Two systems that have a TON of material covering just about every imaginable era are HERO/Champions and GURPS. If your local gaming or comic store(s) have a used gaming section, those are usually chock full of HERO and GURP stuff. Occasionally you'll find old Paladium or GDW stuff (for Victorian pulp and steampunk, Space 1889 comes to mind). Also, try immersing yourself in the fiction of that era -- books, movies, etc., so that even if you play fast and loose with historical dates etc., you get the "feel" of the popular culture of the day.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Call of Cthulhu d20 solves one of my major problems with d20 Modern: character classes based on primary characteristics, not professions or roles. (I'm not a big fan of class/level systems, but I can deal with Fighter, Rogue, Ranger, etc.) I've lost my interest in running any form of d20, but for those who haven't it's worth a glance.

Also, I've got piles of GURPS stuff, albeit first editions rather than the latest and greatest. (I presume SJG changed more than the cover art.) I've heard about HERO, particularly Pulp HERO, as a general resource.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ironically enough, I'm not wild about class/level games either (cut my gaming teeth on HERO/Champions and WEG's Star Wars D6), but one of the things I LIKE about D20 Modern is the Characteristic-based heros as opposed to profession or "class" -- for an allegedly generic system, given all of the different hero types and roles in a modern, near-past, or future setting, base classes would either be restrictive or necesitate an exhaustive list. Replacement base classes or advanced classes make sense for specific settings, however.

I've yet to be disappointed by anything associate with the HERO/Champions system, at least not the supplements nor my copy of 4th Edition of that game. In fact, I only play D20 Modern because all my gaming friends have 3.5, and it's hard to get them to try a completely new system.