Warning: fetch_template() calls should be replaced by the vB_Template class. Template name: showthread_campaign in ..../includes/functions.php on line 4591
Star Wars: Tapestry (always recruiting!)
Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Campaign Summary
Campaign Summary Genre: Space Opera
System Used: Freeform
Style: 50% Roleplaying / 50% Combat
Current Players: 9
Desired # of Players: 50
Game Location N/A
Game Times N/A
Online Game Details Online Game?: Yes
Online Software Used: Play-by-Post
Additional Options Looking for Players?: Yes
Online Game
(Play-by-Post)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Star Wars: Tapestry (always recruiting!)

Downloads
    Uploads

Star Wars: Tapestry (always recruiting!)

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    (For a nice, crisp image, please select "720p HD" from the control panel after pressing 'play'.)

• Have you ever longed to play a specific type of Star Wars character, but had to abandon the idea because it didn't fit into your group's concept, or your Gamemaster's campaign?
    • Have you ever wanted to join a large, sprawling online game, but held back, because you knew you might not be able to stick with it indefinitely?
    • Have you ever wanted to play in an RPG that allows you to go where you want, and do what you like?

Then Star Wars: Tapestry may be for you!

Star Wars: Tapestry is an online, play-by-post roleplaying game with no maximum player limit, and no restrictions on what types of characters its players can portray. While many Star Wars games discourage evil characters, for instance (and with good reason), such characters are welcomed and desired in Tapestry, as are 'lone-wolf' scouts and bounty hunters, droids of all kinds, young characters, elderly characters, and non-combatants of every stripe. In Tapestry, a character's worth is not necessarily defined by their prowess in combat (though such characters certainly have their place), but by how interesting they are.

When you join the galaxy of Tapestry, you'll be entering into a game filled with many other fascinating, player-controlled characters, each with their own unique agendas, needs, and desires. Without a GM, the players are free to improvise numerous engaging, adventure-filled stories together, on-the-fly, where the plot threads weave into and out of each other at will... a tapestry.

For instance, maybe you'd like to play a lone Ithorian xenoarcheologist on a planet in the Outer Rim, digging for evidence of an ancient civilization. So you just go ahead and do it. Shortly afterward, perhaps someone who's been reading your posts decides he likes your story, and wants to get involved. So he decides that maybe that civilization is not so ancient after all, and assumes the role of one of its citizens, who wants (or doesn't want) his people discovered by the galaxy at large. Then, maybe another reader decides to create a rival archeologist, who'd like to beat your Ithorian to the prize, by any means necessary? Maybe another character would like to play an Imperial Moff, who wants to deliver this lost civilization to the Emperor, as slave labour? 

And meanwhile, there are many other characters scattered over several star systems, whose stories have nothing to do with this one... or, at least, not yet. This is the kind of breadth and scope possible in Star Wars: Tapestry.

The Rules

Despite the size and scope of Tapestry, the game actually has only three specific rules; they are as follows:
    1. You may have only one principal character. This character is you. Any other characters you bring into the game are NPCs (Non-Player Characters), and though you're encouraged to flesh them out, they are not protected by the same rules as your principal character. Said NPCs must be with your principal character - no cutting to another star system to see how 'Strike Team B' is doing!
    2. You may make a maximum of one post per day. There is no minimum. If you want to take a month off, that's fine... but don't be surprised if the galaxy carries on without you! Having a maximum of one post per day ensures that all players around you will have a fair chance to contribute to the action, while still allowing the more active players to keep things moving at a good pace.
    3. You may not kill another player's character. Only they may choose when (or if) to die. Their equipment and NPC allies, however, are not protected by this rule (though the onus is on you to be tasteful and realistic about this - if your nemesis flies a beloved space transport, it shouldn't be blown to smithereens when you throw a rock at it... use your best judgement, and remember: the other players are watching.

Star Wars: Tapestry has been running since December 5 2007, and in that time, we've seen many great players come and go. The game has previously had its home on two different message boards, and has now come to Pen and Paper Games (and you can check out our Wiki here)! If you have any questions about Tapestry, please ask them below, or come and join the group to learn more, and get started!
    Last edited by I. J. Thompson; 09-10-2011 at 05:08 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    We've just welcomed another new player to the game, and are always looking forward to having more.

Come and check us out, and please ask any questions below!

Downloads
    Uploads
    This is really interesting, I must say... A different way of playing with an enphasis on storytelling... Meh, I like that. :P Do I need to post a character concept here before asking to join the group's forum?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Not at all, Meinos! Any kind of character can work. You can join the group without an 'invite', and say hi on our board any time you like. It's a good idea to post your character ideas there, as an introduction (unless you want to be mysterious and reveal your character slowly!), but you don't need to be 'approved' by anyone. Looking forward to seeing you there!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Oh - an interesting question was raised on our boards, which bears repeating here:

Tapestry doesn't use the Saga Edition rules, or any formal ruleset at all - it's a diceless, freeform, pure-storytelling game. So if you've seen the films, that's all you need to know!

Downloads
    Uploads
    EDIT: changed the game type from 'play by post' to 'collaborative fiction', which is more accurate.

Anyway, we're always looking for more players, so come and check us out! (link in first post)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Star Wars: Tapestry is three years old today!

And though we've been running for a long time, new players are always desired. Every new character brings a new beginning, a new story, a new adventure.

So if you have a flair for the written word, and would like to get in on a game that you can play at your own pace, follow the link at the top and check us out!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hey guys, so I've been away for quite some time, but I really enjoyed playing with you all, even though I never really made it that far. I'm going to try to join back up, but more on the other side of things (aka as a villain). It's going to take me a little while to sort through the old posts, to get caught up on what I've missed so far. I guess I really just wanted to see if you guys were alive and kicking still.

Anyway, look forward to hearing from you!

MJ

Downloads
    Uploads
    If we're alive and kicking!

Yeah man, jump in whenever you like!
    Star Wars: Tapestry
    A 6+ year campaign draws to a close...
    Forum Group Wiki

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mack jace View Post
    It's going to take me a little while to sort through the old posts, to get caught up on what I've missed so far.
    Oh also, for you and any other interested parties who may be visiting, this from the F.A.Q.:

"Do I need to read all of the Tapestry In-Character threads before joining the game?
    Absolutely not. While doing so would certainly provide you with a deeper understanding of (and appreciation for) the characters and events of the game, it's not a necessity. In fact, that's what the Wiki is for. Besides - your story begins when you enter the scene!

However, once you have joined the game, it is important to read the other posts and keep up to date with the other characters. After all, you never know when you're going to meet them! Star Wars: Tapestry is brought to life by players creating a story together, and to simply post your own 'fan-fiction' for other people to read is contrary to the spirit of the game."

Hope that helps!
    Last edited by I. J. Thompson; 03-21-2011 at 10:02 AM.
    Forum Group Wiki

Downloads
    Uploads
    All right i would like to play the game i have never done a diceless game before but i do have a chacter concept in mind ant thing i should read b4 i start please educate me .

Downloads
    Uploads
    This reply of mine is a little redundant, since you've already joined the group and said hello to everyone, but I just wanted to welcome you to the game and invite all other interested people to come and join us!
    Forum Group Wiki

Downloads
    Uploads
    This sounds like a good opportunity to practice and fine tune my storytelling skills; as rusty as they are. I've been reading through the rules, guidelines, etc and still am not sure about a couple points:

Where in the timeline is the current story? From what I can gather it's some years ABY, but I cannot be certain.

Also, what sources can material be pulled from? ie. canon, AU or even the SWG MMO?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Posting to introduce myself. I've played SW Saga Edition for about a year now, and I've been playing in two PbP games for about half of that time. I'd like to give this kind of game a try, and I have a possible character concept worked out if anyone would like to see it.

-Elvish_Jedi

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hello, Elvish_Jedi. We'd like you to come introduce yourself in the group discussion thread, rather than the recruiting thread.
    Zealos Reil thought he was hot
    so he left the sim-pod cold
    on his eighth mission he got shot
    and that's all there is to be told.
    Draw your own conclusions rookies.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast