Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Click here to go to the first special guest post in this thread.   Thread: Best fantasy roleplaying game ever!!

Downloads
    Uploads

Best fantasy roleplaying game ever!!

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    As the title states.

Just thought i would break the ice with the first post in this glorious section.
    TO LIVE IS TO SUFFER, TO SURVIVE IS TO FIND MEANING IN THE SUFFERING.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The world of warhammer is great, but the rules (I've only played only 2 ed) kinda suck... But it doesn't prevent me of having fun playing it. But I wouldn't say it's greatest RPG ever.
    Cubafrog is the smallest frog in the world... (Really)

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon is offline Cursed by the Gods
    Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up

Hm, i've always loved the rules - they're simple, easy to understand, gritty, dark, and allow some flexibility for the GM and players (a requirement, if you ask me) when running a campaign - no libraries of rulebooks needed to play said game, thank the gods!. My vote also goes to WFRP being the best fantasy roleplaying game ever! when speaking of 1E and 2E. Haven't played 3E as of yet, so i can only say that from what i've heard, i have high hopes.

Hey BIGKILLA, have you tried WFRP3E, as of yet?

Oh, and, keep an eye on this sub-forum as well as the Traveller sub-forum, for i have quite a few threads i will be initiating shortly in both gaming genres.
    Last edited by Arch Lich Thoth-Amon; 04-30-2010 at 04:40 PM.
    Thoth-Amon, Lord of the Underworld and the Undead
    Once you know what the magician knows, it's not magick. It's a 'tool of Creation'. -Archmagus H.H.
    The first step to expanding your reality is to discard the tendency to exclude things from possibility. - Meridjet

Downloads
    Uploads
    well, i haven't played 3E yet but i just recently (last week) purchased the core box and the players and gm's toolkits and extra dice set from Ebay, hoping they will be here soon. To the best of my knowledge i will own every book for Warhammer 1st 2nd and 3rd when i get the 3e stuff. I absolutely love the Warhammer setting and Mythology.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    For me the best fantasy role playing game is Fantasy Hero. I can use any setting I want with it and it includes rules for handling mass combats of armies between each other. Character creation is wide open for what a player can create and the magic system can be defined to suit the setting by the gm.

Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by BIGKILLA View Post
    well, i haven't played 3E yet but i just recently (last week) purchased the core box and the players and gm's toolkits and extra dice set from Ebay, hoping they will be here soon. To the best of my knowledge i will own every book for Warhammer 1st 2nd and 3rd when i get the 3e stuff. I absolutely love the Warhammer setting and Mythology.
    Wow! You and me, both. I also have everything every published for 1E & 2E, including the entire - and unofficial - Private Wars Campaign - which is excellent - and took me nearly 10 years to collect all 4*.

* http://www.shadow-warriors.co.uk/Warhammer.htm

A quote by Tim Eccles, creator of said campaign:

The campaign is one of my own design, and was initially proposed to Hogshead Publishing as a sourcebook on The Empire or provinces therein. They rejected it, but we have been playing it for some time now. The four parts that I published are as follows:
    Part 1: A Private War
    Part 2: All Quiet in Kislev
    Part 3: Homeward Bound
    Part 4: A Pass Too Far/-side

Always nice to meet a hard-core WFRP gamer! Expect a friend invitation, shortly.
    Last edited by Arch Lich Thoth-Amon; 04-25-2010 at 07:34 PM.
    Once you know what the magician knows, it's not magick. It's a 'tool of Creation'. -Archmagus H.H.
    The first step to expanding your reality is to discard the tendency to exclude things from possibility. - Meridjet

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    My group likes WFRP the best for the most part, though we haven't played a WHOLE lot of other stuff. I have some reservations and issues with some of its mechanics and setup but overall its good, though it feels a bit "scattered" to me. But we've been playing since 1st Ed, though I don't see us going to 3rd - I've made a few small fan supplements for 2nd E for my own use and shared them on the net.

Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up

Well, share the WFRP fan supplements here, jpatterson. Don't leave us hangin'
    Last edited by Arch Lich Thoth-Amon; 05-01-2010 at 07:38 AM.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    My favorite was Pendragon. It was something I was familiar with before I even played it and found the rules to be quickly understood and implemented, the supplements were easy to add to the game and added a real depth to the characters. The fact that death seemed to come fairly quickly was eases with picking up one of the satellite NPC's the characters had.

Star Frontiers was another game I found to be quite fun and very easy to play and expand upon. It was the basis to my homegrown fantasy rules.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I really liked 2e! So far with 3e I like that they moved to dice pools and simplified XP but they made it more like playing an advanced Arkham Horror, which I'm not so wild about but I only have the core.
    Playing: Pathfinder
    Running: infrequent VtM game

"I'm beautifully hideous!" - Sven the Nosferatu

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by MortonStromgal View Post
    I really liked 2e! So far with 3e I like that they moved to dice pools and simplified XP but they made it more like playing an advanced Arkham Horror, which I'm not so wild about but I only have the core.

yeah the dice pool reminds me of fantasy flights decent game

Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by mrken View Post
    My favorite was Pendragon. It was something I was familiar with before I even played it and found the rules to be quickly understood and implemented, the supplements were easy to add to the game and added a real depth to the characters. The fact that death seemed to come fairly quickly was eases with picking up one of the satellite NPC's the characters had.

I've heard good things about Pendragon. I'll make an effort to look it up on the net today.

Star Frontiers was another game I found to be quite fun and very easy to play and expand upon. It was the basis to my homegrown fantasy rules.
    Loved the game. Still have some modules to the game somewhere.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Sharing my stuff

Oh that is so awesome! I thought I was going to have to link to my page but I copied and it pasted the linked stuff here! Now, not all of it is great, some of it is 2nd edition, some of it is unfinished, etc. But the first few things are pretty solid I think, though I haven't done any WFRP stuff in a little while.

First Edition Inspirations: 2nd Edition Updates for Zoats and Fimir – Zoats and Fimir resturn to 2nd Edition, with PC Races and Careers for each, and converting 1st to 2nd Edition, plus stats for creatures, NPCs, PCs

Bruisers & Bonebreakers – detailed rules supplement for Grappling/Wrestling plus two complete Wrestler Careers, 2nd Edition

Mass Combat & Siege Weapons – presents rules for simple mass combat including the use of siege weapons, all without minis, 1st Edition

Adventure/Scenario: Winter’s Cold Heart – a dark force haunts a cheery little inn in a frozen no-man’s land, generic setting suitable for most games, investigative horror

Adventure/Scenario: Into the Warrens – the PCs journey to the lair of the Ghoul Lord to help a comrade, best used as a “drop in” sub-adventure

WFRP2E “Skills” Character Sheet – Call of Cthulhu skill style character sheet

Personal Grimoire – page with room to record 4 spells

Treasure: Gems & Jewelry – A Guide to Precious Things Part I, for quick random determination of gems and jewelry and precious metals

Town Profile Sheet – Simple – a “character sheet” to use for settlements and towns
    Town Profile Sheet – Standard
    Town Profile Sheet – Detailed – based on CIA World Factbook format
    Town Profile Sheet – Gazetteer – 3 pages
    Character Creation “Cheat Sheet”
    Abstruse Decapod

"It's apparently a lesbian romance about the world ending due to bears. I've been meaning to run it by Utgardloki." -Anon

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by jpatterson View Post
    Oh that is so awesome! I thought I was going to have to link to my page but I copied and it pasted the linked stuff here! Now, not all of it is great, some of it is 2nd edition, some of it is unfinished, etc. But the first few things are pretty solid I think, though I haven't done any WFRP stuff in a little while.

First Edition Inspirations: 2nd Edition Updates for Zoats and Fimir – Zoats and Fimir resturn to 2nd Edition, with PC Races and Careers for each, and converting 1st to 2nd Edition, plus stats for creatures, NPCs, PCs

Bruisers & Bonebreakers – detailed rules supplement for Grappling/Wrestling plus two complete Wrestler Careers, 2nd Edition

Mass Combat & Siege Weapons – presents rules for simple mass combat including the use of siege weapons, all without minis, 1st Edition

Adventure/Scenario: Winter’s Cold Heart – a dark force haunts a cheery little inn in a frozen no-man’s land, generic setting suitable for most games, investigative horror

Adventure/Scenario: Into the Warrens – the PCs journey to the lair of the Ghoul Lord to help a comrade, best used as a “drop in” sub-adventure

WFRP2E “Skills” Character Sheet – Call of Cthulhu skill style character sheet

Personal Grimoire – page with room to record 4 spells

Treasure: Gems & Jewelry – A Guide to Precious Things Part I, for quick random determination of gems and jewelry and precious metals

Town Profile Sheet – Simple – a “character sheet” to use for settlements and towns
    Town Profile Sheet – Standard
    Town Profile Sheet – Detailed – based on CIA World Factbook format
    Town Profile Sheet – Gazetteer – 3 pages
    Character Creation “Cheat Sheet”
    pretty good stuff thanks

Downloads
    Uploads
    I liked 1st Edition, GM'd that a bit when it came out. My players seemed to like it too but they always steered me back to GMing BECMI (Basic, Expert, Companion etc D&D) so that'd be my favourite. I have looked out for 2nd hand copies of WFRP on ebay and they either go for silly money or don't come up often. I take it it's a well loved version of the game then! What's the main differences, or was it mostly organisational/art and fluff that got changed rather than the system?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast