Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Order of the Green Lion

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

The Order of the Green Lion

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Welcome to the Order of the Green Lion!

Here, on the Shenothom Lowlands, you proud members of the Order stand as one against the enemies of the realm. You are charged with protecting the low-abiding villagers of Shenothom against rebellious lowland brigands, sullen half-savages from Renget Marsh, and all manner of fell monsters. With blades, prayers, spirits, and spells, earn your reputation as heroes to the people.

The Order of the Green Lion is a series of thematically linked encounters for one to six 5th level characters, to be conducted in Chat (or possibly pbp, if there is serious interest in that direction). Player characters may also play in the Sejant Rampant Vert series of adventures, as they become available. These will be very short adventures that aim to be completed in no more than two chat sessions, each. Player participation is flexible, and does not have to be maintained from session to session.

The aim of the Order of the Green Lion game is to experiment with various forms of streamlined gaming. As such, games may be conducted in MapTool, or simply in P&PG Chat, or perhaps using some other form of mediated play. I will try to provide sufficient forewarning for any such ventures, so that players can decide if it's worth their time to participate. In general, I will focus on the Aucothian and Istaoan Campaigns, and only fall back on the Order of the Green Lion to provide a little bit of variety.

Character creation follows the usual Unquiet Lands model. Please refer to http://www.penandpapergames.com/foru...yer-Guidelines and http://www.penandpapergames.com/foru...les-Guidelines for details. Characters be advanced to 5th level using the chart on page 29 of the Player's Handbook or page 143 of the Dungeon Master's Guide, with the following specific rules:

• Characters begin the game with three magic items each: one level 6, one level 5, and one level 4 item.
    • As is the case everywhere in the Unquiet Lands, platinum doesn't exist. 10,000 minims (copper pieces) = 1000 radiates (bronze coins equal to 1 sp each) = 100 obols (silver coins equal to 1 gp each) = 10 ampyrons (electrum coins) = 1 florin (a gold coin equal to 1 pp)
    • Characters have 840 obols to purchase equipment, magical items, rituals, and so on. The following items are not available for purchase:
      • Residuum
      • Magic items over level 10, including consumables such as potions, reagents, and ammunition.
      • Camels, and other creatures unsuitable for temperate climates
      • Sea Horses, and other aquatic mounts
    • Mounts and vehicles may not always be suitable for the environment. Purchase at your own discretion.

The Shenothom Lowlands are located in the Unquiet Lands, but do not border Istao or Aucothia. It is ruled by a feudal monarchy. The culture possesses aspects from both the European Early Middle Ages and High Middle Ages.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The next Order of the Green Lion chat game is tentatively scheduled for Saturday, May 1st, at 3:30 pm PDT. Due to the constraints of my own schedule, there is a possibility this session may be canceled. If so, I will post a cancellation announcement in this thread before April 30th. The following chat game will start at the same time, on Saturday, May 15th.

Order of the Green Lion games are unique among The Unquiet Lands games in that they may occur at any time, if the players and I are both willing. Therefore, the possibility will always exist that some characters may experience encounters between scheduled sessions.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I am now confirming that there will indeed be an Order of the Green Lion chat session for three players on Saturday, May 1st, beginning at 3:30 pm PDT. See you then!

Downloads
    Uploads
    "THOG SLASH EVIL DM."

I'll be there. :3

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Word. See you then.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The next Order of the Green Lion game is scheduled for Saturday, May 15th, at 3:30 pm PDT.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Order of the Green Lion chat session canceled for Saturday, May 15

Palpatim will be out of town and Blydden's status is unknown. I am going to take advantage of this to cancel the Saturday, May 15th session so that I can catch up on my own affairs as well. The next Order of the Green Lion chat game is now scheduled for Saturday, May 29th at 3:30 pm. (Also, the next Autumn Knight chat game is currently scheduled for Saturday, May 22nd at 2:00/2:30 pm.)

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The Order of the Green Lion setting suffered the greatest impact from the loss of my computer. That, along with the demands of my current schedule, means that I will not be conducting another session of this game on Saturday, May 29th.

On June 12th, I feel that I will be able to catch back up to the point where I can either conduct the next Order of the Green Lion session, or proceed with an Istao adventure. I will let you decide which you would prefer, though I will make a final decision on June 9th.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Sorry your computer isn't working. From the "it's an ill wind, etc, etc" department, I'm actually grateful for the time to catch up on some projects on which I've fallen behind.

When the time comes, I'm always happy for either setting, but my personal preference would be to get back to Istao to see what Ohr or Sada have been up to.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Umiushi,

Sorry, I've just discovered that my daughter's birthday party is scheduled for 12-June, so I won't be able to attend a game that evening. I hadn't thought we were doing a party for her this year, but I have been informed that I was mistaken, and and a bit sad, to think so.

--T

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for letting me know. In that case, I think we'll pivot to an Order of the Green Lion game that day, with the remaining players. I believe there are two new players who may be interested, so perhaps we'll see what they're like.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Next session Saturday, June 12th, 3:30 pm PDT

Due to Palpatim being unavailable, rather than running an Istao mission, we'll be having an Order of the Green Lion session this Saturday. There are four players I'm potentially expecting: Blydden, DiscipleofYawgmoth, Kpyork, and Riking. Please confirm whether you will be available or not, so that I can make sure everything is ready.

I'd like to hear from you on Thursday ideally, Friday if necessary. If I don't hear by Saturday, I'm going to assume that you won't be in the game.

The eventual goal is for me to be able to host an Order of the Green Lion game for any number of players at the drop of a hat, but I'm far from being skilled enough to do so yet, so please bear with me.

The next session will begin in Moledel, a day or two after the nighttime encounter with the crowlings.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Saturday, confirmations, communication, and completion

It's 3:45 pm PDT as I write this. Tomorrow's game will start in a little over 24 hours. I am expecting the following players, in terms of receiving both confirmation as well having a completed character:

• Blydden

I would like confirmation from the following players:

• DiscipleofYawgmoth
    • kpyork
    • riking

I would like completed characters from the following players:

• DiscipleofYawgmoth (completed attributions - which book each power, feat, feature, or item comes from; I only have information for Kriv's items, so far)
    • riking (attributions)
    • spider21b (full character sheet and attributions)

The deadline for all of this is midnight, my time. That will be in about eight hours from the time of this posting.

Obviously the most important thing is confirmation. If you haven't confirmed, post here or drop me a quick line to do so before worrying about your attributions or anything else. The next most important thing is giving me a character sheet or finishing your character. Then come attributions, and finally personality and backstory, which I will discuss at the end of this post.

If you don't make the deadline, but decide you're going to show up to the session anyway, please understand that I won't turn you away, but changing the balance of the encounters and the flow of the story is going to impact the overall quality of the session. Also, if I don't have your attributions, the game will slow down that much further. The more dissatisfying the resulting experience is for me, the more likely I am to put forth stricter requirements in the future.

The goal of the Order of the Green Lion games is to be able to conduct play at short notice. I admit that I'm a ways off from achieving that. There are dungeon masters who are gifted at improvisation. I am not one of them. It's simply a statement of fact that the less I can prepare for the session, the slower, rougher, more dangerous, and probably less satisfying the session will be.

Also, I am used to having fairly regular communication with people. If someone says they'll be able to do something in about a month's time, but I don't hear anything from them as the due date looms, I get anxious. This is not just nervous energy on my part. Having no-show players is a regular occurrence in both the pbp and chat games here, and it is not unheard of for a player with months of perfect attendance to suddenly never be seen again. If you've told me about your schedule and availability, but it's been some time, it will never hurt to reassure me that what you said before still holds. Even more important, if there is a change, please let me know as soon as possible. Nobody likes things sprung on them at the last minute, or even worse, not knowing at all.

Although not so immediately vital, I will also want to know about everyone's backstory and personality before too long. I know all that I need to know about one or two characters, and absolutely nothing about others. The rest fall somewhere in the middle. The sooner I can have that information, the happier I'll be. Please don't get hung up on backstory; I only need something brief to start with. Think about 1-2 sentence answers for the following questions:

• Where is the character from?
    • Why is the character a member of the class you chose?
    • What has the character's past career been like?
    • Why did the character join the Order of the Green Lion?
    • How does the character feel about being part of the Order?
    • What are a couple of noteworthy ways in which this character behaves?
    Last edited by Umiushi; 06-11-2010 at 06:01 PM.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    For today's Order of the Green Lion game, I'm assuming four players:

• Blydden
    • Kpyork
    • Riking
    • Spider21b

I believe I have everything that I asked for. I have the original character sheet Kpyork sent, as I am not able to read the format of the latest one; and I am expecting Spider21b's attributions shortly. I'll look forward to seeing all of you on Chat at 3:30 today.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Got it. See yah @ 3:30

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast