Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Click here to go to the first special guest post in this thread.   Thread: FoW

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

FoW

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Well my son and I have taken a huge plunge and are buying two equal forces. One German the other Canadian (British) but we have no idea what we are doing.
    So far we have:
    1 Tiger 1E
    1 Panzer IV
    2 Staurt V's
    -any tips/ideas would be appreciated

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    FoW can be a fun game, sometimes. I suggest you buy the rule books. The basic book and whatever fronts or campaigns you wish to play. They each have their own book I think. I also suggest you buy the minis by the case rather than buying one here and one there. Buying singles will spread the pain to your wallet out more, but it will take you forever to get the pieces you want to use, plus, you will save a few bucks.

I play Axis and Allies which is in my opinion just as expensive. But I use some of the FoW pieces in my game.

Can you paint?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mrken View Post
    Can you paint?
    Yes, I can paint.
    Well sort of. My son won't let me paint without him there to watch and I only get him every second weekend. Although, he asked his mom if he can come down this weekend after spending all of Easter week. So, we will have to see.
    Yes, we have purchased the singles and going forward will be puying two packs/platoons of tanks. However, the rulebook is pretty pricy and not sure if we want to go that route as we just want to keep the collection small and only play the tanks versus tanks. Would you recommend the small rulebook with the bonus tanks? Think it is called Open Fire.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You are already running into the same problems I ran into, the price of the books. I think you need the Rule Book first for the basic rules. I think it has the numbers of vehicles and other pieces that make up platoons and companies that you will need. I went out and just bought some of the really cool pieces and then bought the book. Then I realized I needed to buy another book to play the Eastern Front, then found out the guys at the LFGS didn't play that book any longer so I would have to buy another book.

Yeah, check out the local group first, then buy the books, then buy the tanks, then the paints and then paint. Painting them really can be fun. Check this guy out. He paints all kinds of stuff. http://www.panzerpainter.com/

Good luck with your boy, that's what it's all about.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Good luck with your boy, that's what it's all about.
    You are so right

- so the big book not the little Open Fire one eh?
    - thanks for the paint link - looks great!

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah, Panzerpainter is the best. You should see some of his other stuff that he has modified. Follow this http://aaminis.myfastforum.org/forum64.php link and look for his stuff. He modified some stuff for a guy we call Baron. Superb work. One day I hope to be that good. lol Have you seen the stuff I painted in my album on my profile. Not up to his standard, but...

As for the books you will need, the first one I bought was $40. If my memory is correct the books are all about the same price. But you will need them to get the specifics of the game you will be playing. Each front has different specific rules I think.

As for a company you will need an HQ. I think it has two tanks of whatever size. Panthers are medium. Then you get I think two platoons of five with one commander. So, you are up to 12 panthers. Ah, about $120. Then, a support platoon of heavies (cause you already got the Tiger I), one more Tiger I. Then you can pick another support platoon, maybe some assult guns like the StugIII or IV's. Really, I would pick some infantry like some Panzergrenadiers. Armor without infantry support is like being naked. lol Any way, you are at about $200. Now you need the opposing army. Gotta chuck the Stuarts, unless maybe as a Recon unit. They really would not last very long on the same table as the Panthers and Tigers, especially if you stick some StuG on the table. Would be a blood bath, though a very short one. Maybe you can start out with a platoon for each side then work your way up. Might suggest Russians for the opposing forces, U.S. and Brits just don't really have a very fun time against the Germans. Russians do better.

Sorry, I don't know the names of the books. Been several years since I tried to get in to the game. The local guys are real curmudgeons. Asked for some help and advice and they pretty much looked at me like I had a third eye in the middle of my forehead. Beside, I don't curse enough or smoke and chew. Axis and allies is just as expensive and I don't have to paint one mini if I don't want to. Besides, the rules are almost easy enough for me to learn. lol

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    We won't be getting that involved, I don't think, as we will be buying two armies (two x $200.00 is too much). But a regular tank platoon of Panthers and another of Tigers would be okay. Yes, the Stuarts will be just scouts.
    And we have the same issue with "support" from the people in the game here. No replies to e-mails/questions - it is very frustrating. I have gotten as much information from you - if not more! However, they could be having a busy month so we will give them some more time.
    Yes, I saw your paint jobs - nice! Here is the link to the facebook FoW we started:
    http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/...00776036632006

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The key to gaining admission to the table of FoW is to paint your army to the highest standard. Then show up at the game, open the box and spread out the tanks. When the FoW geeks start to gawk, ask if you can play. Tell them you never actually played before. When they figure you for a noob and an easy win, square off and grab their tail and give it a good twist. lol But you really have to have read your rules and know how to play, or they will cheat you out of your victory. That's why I don't play with them. Found out they was cheating. That's ok, I found an Axis and Allies group if I can ever get to play with them.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    They were cheating? How?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The old teleporting tank trick.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Teleporting tanks - Warhammer 40,000?
    How the heck were they doing that?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It is a problem with the your turn, my turn method of turn based games. In my turn you are just out of range for me to hit the front of your tank. Your turn, the barrel of your tank is now touching the rear of my tank. You had cover during my turn, and you was able to drive through my tank and turn your facing so as to get an easy shot at my weak rear armor. The only practical explanation to this would be that you teleported your tanks because if you had driven real tanks into that position you would have been blown to shrapnel as you passed in front of my guns, and you would have had to go twice the distance to get around behind me and turn to then face me. That was my teleporting tank theory.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That was my teleporting tank theory.
    Ah, well then it was a matter of tactics then.
    I have gamed for a while with battletech and am quite familair with watching your backside and postioning to take advantage of people trying to get in my backside - or, it might come with playing too many hours of chess.
    Take for example my style of play. My son thought he would hide his StuGs in a building so I would have to come around and face his barrels - no I drove through the side of the building with my three Shermans. Two bogged down but the third crashed through to fire on the weaker side armour! He was rather surprised and made sure to fight a more mobile battle after that.
    Last edited by cigamnogard; 04-19-2010 at 02:54 PM. Reason: spelling!

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    My backside? The guy was out of range in front of me on my turn, then directly behind me on his turn.

It was my first game and I had never played before, and was using a platoon of Italian gasoline cans. Not knowing the rules really makes a difference and knowing your army and your opponents armies also is important I think. I had never played before and the rules at that point had not yet made any sense. Still, I love the minis and the terrain can make the game really fun. That is why I now make terrain in 30mm and 15mm.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I feel your pain regarding the teleporting tanks. I try to stay away from I Go, You Go systems because of it. The biggest thing that I don't care for FoW is that it's essentially 40k set in WWII. For historical gaming, I use either Hero System mass combat rules or The Face of Battle. Both are really good rule sets, but TFoB is more in-depth compared to Hero System. Hero System is designed for 25/28mm miniatures and TFoB can use any scale.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast