Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Click here to go to the first special guest post in this thread.   Thread: Planebenders (new game in development)

Downloads
    Uploads

Exclamation Planebenders (new game in development)

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Hey all, I am brand new here, but I was immediately drawn to this community because I grew up playing Pen and Paper games.

I have been playing Pen and Paper RPGs for some time now (for about 7 years total), almost exclusively Shadowrun. I fell in love with these types of games because of their Open-Endedness and flexibility in what you could do with your character. I admit, I haven't tried a whole lot of Pen and Paper games out there, and I'm sure there are ones that are better, and worse, than Shadowrun, but that was my addiction, so that's what I have to base my opinions on. There were a lot of things I found flawed with the game, even though I loved every second that I played and GM'd. I recently started GM'ing again for Shadowrun with a new group of young minds that have never known that game. In doing so I have learned a lot and really wanted to create something that can appeal to everyone (Shadowrun doesn't accomplish that entirely, somewhat because of its setting and somewhat because of its rigidity in archetyping your characters into certain molds.) So out of that love for the genre, and my renewed excitement came this project.

Keep in mind that this game is early in the planning stages, I am currently in "mind dump" mode trying to get all my ideas down and figuring out mechanics and such. As I get information into a stable and coherent state, I will be sure to post the information in my forums so you all can have at it. The idea is to have an open-ended game that doesn't box you into classes, or label you in a way that isn't totally your own.

So feel free to stop by, tell me a little about yourself, your background in the Pen and Paper genre, and/or anything else you feel myself, and the rest of the community, should know. Thanks again for listening to my ramblings. Hope to hear from you soon.

http://forum.planebenders.com

-Aitrus
    Last edited by Aitrus; 05-15-2010 at 09:27 AM.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The obvious question are:
    1: What do you hope to accomplish with your game?
    2: Has what you want to do been done before? (Likely)
    3: Can you improve that? (Always room.)

Research. I would call this the ultimate necessity. The game market is full of games. Some very similar, some very different. The last thing you want to do is reinvent the wheel. Not only are not doing anything new in that case, you are stepping on someone else's toes. Not only is plagiarism karmicly bad, it is legally bad. You don't want to go there, not even by accident.

First research the market and see that your idea isn't already out there. If not, wallow it it.

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    My favorite game console is a table and chairs.
    The Olde Phoenix Inn

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You could always try looking into the game Alpha Omega. Very much made in the same neck of the woods as Shadowrun - AIs, Magic that is either divine/spiritual, arcane, or innate, skill based system, unique dice pool system...the 6-6 system that I haven't seen emulated or taken from another system. It's from Mind Storm Labs. Relatively new game, with core rule book that is available dead tree or PDF. The setting of the game is based in 2280 and definite religious undertones with playable races such Annunaki, Grigori, Nephilim, Humans, Lesser Grigori, Lesser Nephilim, Artificial Intelligence, or Genetically Engineered. Take a look, it'll be worth the time. I've played Shadowrun 2e and 3e, and have to say that Alpha Omega succeeds in so many ways where Shadowrun fails.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the response.

Tesral,

Thanks for the information. I have done a bit of research on the game concept I am working on and I don't think its been done quite like I am trying to do it. There are some mechanical elements that of course have been used before, but I am just using that as a baseline and modifying it accordingly to fit the game. My game is not even close to what Shadowrun is, or was, that was just my background in what I have played personally. I know plenty of people that have played others. I have pitched my concept around to fellow players, and they seemed excited at the concept and potential it has.

I work at a teen center and that's where I have gotten a new generation of kids involved in the pen and paper world. SO I have high hopes for it, and hey if it never branches out farther than my local community that's ok too, as long as the kids have fun with it and we can do a lot with it, then it was a success. Of course I am hoping its more far reaching than that, but everyone has to start somewhere right?

Aitrus

Quote Originally Posted by tesral View Post
    The obvious question are:
    1: What do you hope to accomplish with your game?
    2: Has what you want to do been done before? (Likely)
    3: Can you improve that? (Always room.)

Research. I would call this the ultimate necessity. The game market is full of games. Some very similar, some very different. The last thing you want to do is reinvent the wheel. Not only are not doing anything new in that case, you are stepping on someone else's toes. Not only is plagiarism karmicly bad, it is legally bad. You don't want to go there, not even by accident.

First research the market and see that your idea isn't already out there. If not, wallow it it.

---------- Post added at 08:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:43 AM ----------

Thanks for the info on that other game. The kids I deal with are quite happy with Shadowrun as it is, I just look at it much more critically than they do, since they are really new to the genre and game itself. But yea, I will try and check it out, time permitting. Thanks for the heads up.

Aitrus

Quote Originally Posted by Dytrrnikl View Post
    You could always try looking into the game Alpha Omega. Very much made in the same neck of the woods as Shadowrun - AIs, Magic that is either divine/spiritual, arcane, or innate, skill based system, unique dice pool system...the 6-6 system that I haven't seen emulated or taken from another system. It's from Mind Storm Labs. Relatively new game, with core rule book that is available dead tree or PDF. The setting of the game is based in 2280 and definite religious undertones with playable races such Annunaki, Grigori, Nephilim, Humans, Lesser Grigori, Lesser Nephilim, Artificial Intelligence, or Genetically Engineered. Take a look, it'll be worth the time. I've played Shadowrun 2e and 3e, and have to say that Alpha Omega succeeds in so many ways where Shadowrun fails.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon is offline Cursed by the Gods
    Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Never worry about whether or not it has been done before, for if you ask Shakespeare enthusiasts, everything has been written before. If it is fun, perhaps improved upon, can fill a niche, then good.
    Remember, there is no such thing as a perfect game - in any genre - so go for it. Look at dnd... there are very few folks that would agree exactly on which edition is best - which is why most of us homebrew rules. Heck, dnd has splintered into 3 editions: 3.5, Pathfinder, and 4E, and there are still arguments that there is room for improvement. The only true test is in gametesting. You're never going to please everyone, but if you find/design a system that does appeal to many, then you have done your job well. but don't expect the likes of WotC to pick it up; plan on publishing it yourself - i know that goes w/o saying.

Keep us up to date.
    Thoth-Amon, Lord of the Underworld and the Undead
    Once you know what the magician knows, it's not magick. It's a 'tool of Creation'. -Archmagus H.H.
    The first step to expanding your reality is to discard the tendency to exclude things from possibility. - Meridjet

Downloads
    Uploads
    My many thanks Amon, I agree with you, I'm not deluding myself into thinking that WotC will pick it up, I'm in the mindset of doing it myself. I think I am making good progress with the foundation of the game holding up, I've been brainstorming scenarios with some of the more experienced players at the center where I work, and the enthusiasm for the concept and play is there, I just have to make sure the system is sound and can stand on its own 2 legs.

Also, another note, I am based in Connecticut, and there is going to be plenty of opportunity for playtesting, balancing etc, so if anyone is in the area around New Haven/Woodbridge area (or even wouldn't mind travelling there), I'd love to have you. I have always been about listening to ideas and trying to incorporate them, if they are feasible and most importantly, I'd love to see a community come out of this game idea. So feel free to PM me, write on my forums, or talk to me direct. I'll leave my info here in case anyone feels like chatting me

AIM: zgcoder
    MSN: mattcatch@comcast.net
    GTALK: aitrus00
    Yahoo: mattyap1976

Hope to hear from you all soon, and thanks again for the reply Amon. Be well.

Aitrus

Quote Originally Posted by Arch Lich Thoth-Amon View Post
    Never worry about whether or not it has been done before, for if you ask Shakespeare enthusiasts, everything has been written before. If it is fun, perhaps improved upon, can fill a niche, then good.
    Remember, there is no such thing as a perfect game - in any genre - so go for it. Look at dnd... there are very few folks that would agree exactly on which edition is best - which is why most of us homebrew rules. Heck, dnd has splintered into 3 editions: 3.5, Pathfinder, and 4E, and there are still arguments that there is room for improvement. The only true test is in gametesting. You're never going to please everyone, but if you find/design a system that does appeal to many, then you have done your job well. but don't expect the likes of WotC to pick it up; plan on publishing it yourself - i know that goes w/o saying.

Keep us up to date.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Like I said, as long as you are doing a new expression of the genre, and your mechanics are not in someone else's book, write away.

Just please do not describe it as "dark and edgy" that is so overused.

Third, it's good to see that someone is teaching teens good gaming skills. RPG is about the best social teacher I think I have found. It allows teens to act out without real consequences for their actions. You can always write another character. You can't write another life.

The Olde Phoenix Inn

Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    "Dark and edgy," or dark and gritty; why not use said accepted terms when describing games, for after all, we all know what they mean - unless one has been hiding in a hole all his or her life.
    Last edited by Arch Lich Thoth-Amon; 05-17-2010 at 10:14 AM.
    Once you know what the magician knows, it's not magick. It's a 'tool of Creation'. -Archmagus H.H.
    The first step to expanding your reality is to discard the tendency to exclude things from possibility. - Meridjet

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah, I was surprised at the enthusiasm for the pen and paper genre these days with all kids knowing about is XBOXes and PS3s. They do not know, and most do not care, where it all started. But the kids I am teaching are really interested, and that's why I started this project. I think it has great potential and I'm happy that I have garnered some response from the community at large with you guys.

Honestly, I am appreciative of it and just want to make something that is fun that will capture imaginations and make the kids think and act rather than what they know of their boxed in type video game lives

Aitrus

Like I said, as long as you are doing a new expression of the genre, and your mechanics are not in someone else's book, write away.

Third, it's good to see that someone is teaching teens good gaming skills. RPG is about the best social teacher I think I have found. It allows teens to act out without real consequences for their actions. You can always write another character. You can't write another life.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Arch Lich Thoth-Amon View Post
    "Dark and edgy," or dark and gritty; why not use said accepted terms when describing games, for after all, we all know what they mean - unless one has been hiding in a hole all his or her life.
    Mainly because everyone "knows" what it means, but no one can describe it. As I said in another post, all one tone is dull. Darkness is only obvious if contrasted with light. Suspense degenerates to ennui if not contrasted with ease. A world or setting should be not of a piece. Contrasts and color makes the things that are not that stand out.

Dark and edgy has had its pass. It is time to look into truly complex settings again.

The Olde Phoenix Inn

Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mainly because everyone "knows" what it means, but no one can describe it. As I said in another post, all one tone is dull. Darkness is only obvious if contrasted with light. Suspense degenerates to ennui if not contrasted with ease. A world or setting should be not of a piece. Contrasts and color makes the things that are not that stand out.

Dark and edgy has had its pass. It is time to look into truly complex settings again.
    Ah, i see where you erred. Why does dark, gritty, and edgy have to equate to being one tone? All it really means is *realism.* Well, each word being a unique slice of realism. Keep in mind that without light, one would not know darkness, and vice versa, so it goes without saying that there is more than one tone, if you see my meaning - pun intended. As far as describing it is concerned, i never had a problem describing it to others, others describing it to me, or running across anyone that wasn't capable of comprehending the meaning. To me, it's just a theme or tone. A setting can be played anyway one likes: dark or light tone or themed. WFRP and Traveller rpg are typically dark, gritty, and edgy, but can be played with a lighter theme if a group so chooses. It doesn't make the setting, it's merely a choice when playing a setting. No secret that my dnd is darker than most. Setting is the same, theme is harsher. To each their own, i guess.
    Last edited by Arch Lich Thoth-Amon; 05-17-2010 at 09:48 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    My take is do what you love first and foremost. To hell with those that stand in your way!

If you're an indie publisher - that's one of the few freedoms you have so why not embrace it!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Big Iron Vault Magazine now online! www.bigironvault.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Need an illustrator!

Not sure if this is the best place to post this, but I am looking for a Fantasy Illustrator that would be interested in maybe doing some drawings for my game. If anyone is interested, please feel free to email me directly at aitrus00@gmail.com and tell me a little bit about how/what you draw and please include some of your drawings so I can see some of your body of work. Thanks to all in advance.

- Aitrus