Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

List o' Problems with the changes.
Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: List o' Problems with the changes.

Soft Serve is offline Cascade Failure FTW Community Supporter
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

List o' Problems with the changes.

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    I'm going to try to keep this generally simple so I can shower and get to work on planning my upcoming game tonight. Here's each problem I see or have seen complaints about and a solution I'd like to submit.

Loss of XP: I was against it at first but now I don't mind. From Thoth's posts I understand the removal and I'm actually glad we can now toss that to the wind. However I would like to keep an activity bar, or a way to organize "Site Leaders" from under the "Quick Links" tab on the Forums page by number of posts or time spent on site. Not so much XP as a definite way of showing who has committed more, and been here the longest. That is irrefutable as time spent cannot be cheated and although I'm sure posts could be (Via Word Assoc. Thread or otherwise) but there's bound to be a compromise there if someone cared about it that much.

Design Changes: The background white is difficult to read in long posts. I'm sure that everyone here could agree that the Off Green color was much more accepted. Even if white wasn't a pain on the eyes the off green was much more attractive and artistic than bland white. (in my personal opinion...)

Loss of a Quick Post button: Quick post was something I actually barely used since you couldn't get quotes in it. And if you could then I never figured it out. But it was a helpful and nifty little tool that made posting on threads that only require small input (like Word Assoc.) an easy deal not requiring you to load another page. I get that Word Assoc. and other threads aren't the main focus of the site, but they are fun time-wasters and I'm sure that nobody is against bringing back the Quick Post bar, even if they never used it.

The Surprise Element: Updates that repair things (chat bugs, forum bugs, etc.) I'm sure we could go without a warning on. Maybe an intended date to repair them but that's not my point. My point is I would like to know when design changes are about to be implemented and be able to throw in my Ę2 before P&PG changes colors. I don't just mean myself either I mean a post with the list of differences so that collectively we can say "That sounds good" or "Can we try something else?". Democracy ruling in this case.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon is offline Cursed by the Gods
    Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up

I believe that if the vast majority want XP, then they should have it by letting democracy rule. But as Farcaster has stated, that is not an option with the new software, so the point is not only mute... it's dead and buried... or tossed to the wind, as Soft Serve so elequently summed it up.

I also agree with Soft Serve in that we need to get rid of this white background. Hurts me Undead eyes, it does.

Overall, i love what you've done to the place, Farcaster! As far as the 7+ hours of focused programming, I'm sure i speak for everyone when i say that you have our sympathies. Great Job!
    Last edited by Arch Lich Thoth-Amon; 03-23-2010 at 03:00 PM.
    Thoth-Amon, Lord of the Underworld and the Undead
    Once you know what the magician knows, it's not magick. It's a 'tool of Creation'. -Archmagus H.H.
    The first step to expanding your reality is to discard the tendency to exclude things from possibility. - Meridjet

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Arch Lich Thoth-Amon View Post
    Overall, i love what you've done to the place, Farcaster! As far as the 7+ hours of focused programming, I'm sure i speak for everyone when i say that you have our sympathies. Great Job!
    Thanks, Thoth. Although, it was actually 7 hours of deployment. By the point I took the site down on Saturday afternoon, I had already done all the programming up front, which was much more than 7 hours.
    Robert A. Howard
    Pen & Paper Games
    Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Soft Serve View Post
    Loss of a Quick Post button: Quick post was something I actually barely used since you couldn't get quotes in it. And if you could then I never figured it out. But it was a helpful and nifty little tool that made posting on threads that only require small input (like Word Assoc.) an easy deal not requiring you to load another page.
    Quick Reply is back in. I took it out temporarily because the forum software was making you click Reply twice to get to a regular reply instead of the quick reply section. I figured out how to disable that in the code though, so it won't be a problem.
    Robert A. Howard
    Pen & Paper Games

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I believe that if the vast majority want XP, then they should have it by letting democracy rule. But as Farcaster has stated, that is not an option with the new software, so the point is not only mute... it's dead and buried... or tossed to the wind, as Soft Serve so elequently summed it up.

I also agree with Soft Serve in that we need to get rid of this white background. Hurts me Undead eyes, it does.

I don't mean to sound ungrateful I really do appreciate everything I'm just trying to compile what I think could we could improve on.

---------- Post added at 05:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:11 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Farcaster View Post
    Quick Reply is back in. I took it out temporarily because the forum software was making you click Reply twice to get to a regular reply instead of the quick reply section. I figured out how to disable that in the code though, so it won't be a problem.

Thank you very much! I know a few people will notice immediately and appreciate the quickness in response.

---------- Post added at 05:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:11 PM ----------

Also I just noticed the new lines for double posts adding the new post and previous posting times. They look solid. Good improvement.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon is offline Cursed by the Gods
    Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Farcaster View Post
    Thanks, Thoth. Although, it was actually 7 hours of deployment. By the point I took the site down on Saturday afternoon, I had already done all the programming up front, which was much more than 7 hours.
    Your time and effort is definitely appreciated on this site.
    Thoth-Amon, Lord of the Underworld and the Undead
    Once you know what the magician knows, it's not magick. It's a 'tool of Creation'. -Archmagus H.H.
    The first step to expanding your reality is to discard the tendency to exclude things from possibility. - Meridjet

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Your time and effort is definitely appreciated on this site.

Agreed.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Bug report: As I was posting to my blog, I got to the tags. It said I could put in 5. I put in 5. I hit preview and it told me I had 3 too many tags. Basically, the TEXT says 5, but the software only allows 2.

Also, the title field and tag fields don't scale properly or something, they ran off the right side of their division and were overlapped by the division on the right. On a 1024x768 display, the blog entry is kinda tiny. I could do without the whole right-hand division when blog posting. It just takes up too much unneeded room.

Finally, in chat, it didn't like the word "circumstances" It kept changing it to "cir cum*" which I thought really weird. I even tried it as "cir-cum-stances" and it changed it to "cir-cum*".

Next, the top menu, at least for me in my browser (Firefox latest) the currently selected menu item has a one-pixel or so over-draw off the top. The mouse-over on the menu items shows properly. I don't know if it's supposed to be like this or not. It just looks wrong to me so I thought I'd include it.

Finally, I'm also not too keen with the bright white. An off-white would be much easier on the eyes. Loss of forums within groups also kinda sucks. I have to type in my group forum's name into the search now every time to re-find them.

That's all. Everything else looks great.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    back to the chat, You cannot look at profiles now. it is sunday night. march 21. it was nice to see where folks were from.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by outrider View Post
    back to the chat, You cannot look at profiles now. it is sunday night. march 21. it was nice to see where folks were from.
    We are planning to replace the chat software, so there will probably not be any more in-place fixes for the old chat room.
    Robert A. Howard
    Pen & Paper Games

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Wow, I just realized the xp is gone. lol Shows how important it was.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mrken View Post
    Wow, I just realized the xp is gone. lol Shows how important it was.
    I actually didn't notice either until I saw somebody else say something about it. But then I got grr about it and now I don't mind. Lv-20 was nice though.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Just wanted to point out that I poked fun at Thoth on one posting for the number of posts over a short period. Personally I don't care about the XP numbers itself. (I only mention it because I recall a thread that seemed to get a bit wound up when the post was meant in jest and taken a bit too seriously ).

With that, I do have a couple of items to point out.

1. The forum name on the right side of the 'New Posts' is cut off. So I see "Forum: Dungeon" for example.

2. On the iPhone, the 'New Posts' page shows the thread titles at about half the size of the "Started by" line. Looks ok with Safari on the Mac.

3. Oh, and there's no real break between the .sigs and the posts any more (well, a very beige on white line).

4. Oh, and the d20 on the main page? It's upside down

In general the 'New Posts' page looks unbalanced. Very busy on the left thread title column and somewhat light on the right three columns. I think what makes it look weird is that the Gigantic Envelope, tiny "new posts" button, "Thread title, Started by ... Tuesday MM-DD-YYYY HH:MM PM [1] [2] [3] ... [208]" continues to break into a new line (three in this example) where the right three columns stay at one or two lines making it look even more empty.

But that's just me

And of course, a big thanks for all the work. I know it's not easy as I run my own site. Nothing at this level (we just hit 100,000 posts)

Carl
    Last edited by Freejack; 03-31-2010 at 07:57 PM. Reason: Adding more
    GMing: Shadowrun 4th
    The Denver RPG Group - My Shadowrun Site - My Shadowrun Blog - Shadowrun Mooks
    I also administer the Mosaic and Stained Glass forums if you happen to be artistic

Downloads
    Uploads
    This new thing blows... Let us go back to the 3.5 version!
    Most men lead lives of quiet desperation.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That isn't really all that helpful as far as feedback goes, Rab. Presuming you are being serious, in any case.
    Robert A. Howard
    Pen & Paper Games

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast