Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Click here to go to the first special guest post in this thread.   Thread: Chat Room Bugs

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Exclamation Chat Room Bugs

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Over the weekend, we upgraded our chat software from a rather old version to the newest version available. There were a lot of good reasons to do this, not the least of which was that the older version was more insecure. Unfortunately, it looks like the new version introduced some problems of it's own. Right now, it seems the majority of problems being reported are with Google's Chrome, which is characterized by the chat log rapidly disappearing.

If you're having problems with the chat room, please post here with:

• Description of the problem
    • Browser / Version

If you're using Chrome and having problems, I'd recommend trying another browser until we get this figured out.

Thank you.
    Robert A. Howard
    Pen & Paper Games
    Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm using Firefox 3.6 and I have experienced a problem with logging in, then being unable to see what's going on in chat, except for a flash of the text here and there. I eventually get dumped out.
    JediSoth
    ENnie Awards Submissions Coordinator & Publisher Relations
    Writer, Editor, Graphic Designer, Foodie
    Follow me on Twitter! (@JediSoth)

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Internet Explorer 8 I think. No problems until today. Lots of the text just went away.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    After a few minutes, I would be unable to send any messages. I have firefox 3.6 installed.

EDIT: If I don't type anything within a few minutes it'll log me out and give me an error message saying I should log in. Another bug is that if chat doesn't log me out, it will turn off the background I use and nothing will appear on the screen. It's like I'm not logged in.
    Last edited by Richard Littles; 03-22-2010 at 08:02 PM.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I use Firefox v3.0.18, and I have a glitch where the entire chat history will randomly be wiped and I can't tell what people just said.

Also, in Internet Explorer 8, I randomly get "please don't spam our chat", even if what I said was half-way intelligent and I hadn't said anything before it for some time.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Unhappy Can't get onto Chat

My problem is that when I try to log onto the Chat, It acts like it is going to load, but just gives me a blank screen. I believe that my AOL internet access uses Internet Explorer for a browser. Guess I will have to wait until the problem is figured out.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I did a little test, and it looks like we can get the previous version of the chat software to work with this version of vBulletin. That isn't ideal, since we really need to be using an updated version, but to get things running smoothly again in the chat room -- or at least as smoothly as they were -- it will have to do for now. What we'll probably need to do next is find a good and stable replacement. I'll keep working on it, and until then, I'll get the old version back in as soon as possible.
    Robert A. Howard
    Pen & Paper Games

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    These are more implementation issues, but this seemed like the best-fit thread to report them in.

Problem 1: Censorship filter produces unwarranted results
    Problem 2: Agressive anti-spam pop-ups
    Browser: Mozilla Firefox version 3.6.2

Problem 1
    When I type "classes" in chat, it appears on the screen as "cl arses." I hope this issue can be resolved.

Problem 2
    Whenever I post the same phrase, no matter how long it was since I last used it in the chat session and how much I've written since then, I receive an anti-spam warning pop-up. My main question is whether the warning is just perfunctory or if this is something that will get me banned all of a sudden.

There are numerous phrases a person would be expected to say more than once as part of an ongoing conversation if they spend a significant time in Chat. I understand the desire to reduce spamming, and it's inconvenient but endurable to deal with the pop-up by itself, but I would hope that I don't get punished for normal discourse. Here are some examples of easy-to-repeat phrases:

• Hello.
    • I see.
    • Yes, I agree.
    • Goodnight.
    • I'm fine thanks, and you?
    • How are your games coming along?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Farcaster View Post
    I did a little test, and it looks like we can get the previous version of the chat software to work with this version of vBulletin. That isn't ideal, since we really need to be using an updated version, but to get things running smoothly again in the chat room -- or at least as smoothly as they were -- it will have to do for now. What we'll probably need to do next is find a good and stable replacement. I'll keep working on it, and until then, I'll get the old version back in as soon as possible.

Alright Farcaster, sounds like a plan for now. I was wondering if vBulletin was aware of the Flashchat problems and is possibly working on fixing them? I will just keep watching to see when I can get into the chat as before and will let you know that it is working for me.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    vBulletin is actually a completely different product. They didn't develop FlashChat -- it just happens to be able to play nice with it.
    Robert A. Howard
    Pen & Paper Games

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Farcaster View Post
    vBulletin is actually a completely different product. They didn't develop FlashChat -- it just happens to be able to play nice with it.

And as we know as parents, it's always good when the kids play nice together.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Another bug: Chat filter won't let us say "classes" or "circumstance", instead changing these into different words, nonsense, or actually filtering them into profanity.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm using chrome but I tried in Firefox and IE cant send or receive chat pm's.The window doesn't even pop up.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I've taken the chat room back to the previous version. It is working with only one minor problem, which is that you now have to login manually when you go into the chat room. The password is the same as your forum password though.
    Robert A. Howard
    Pen & Paper Games