Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Thread: Help?!

Downloads
    Uploads

Help?!

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Ok, so I found a new group to DM with. They are older than me, most either Highschool Seniors and Graduates. I'm only 13. And I'm really nervous that they wont like my game. I have a few planned out, but I need help deciding which one to use. These are my three ideas:

The Divide: The Adventurers are living in a world which the global temperature is dropping very quickly. In fact, their town elder says that by the end of the month, the world will have frozen. So, they set out on a quest to find the "Torch of Eternal Heat", which will provide, well, eternal heat. Although they cannot find this torch, they do find the wizard behind the problems. But, he's not going down without a fight, being defended by a white dragon and, eventually, turning himself into a Frost Worm. After killing him, the world's climate returns to normal.

The Rise of Tiamat: As described in an earlier post, except with a few major changes. As you read before, Zugh Callebarro Resurects the Aspect of Tiamat, but instead of being eaten, he flees. The group is told that the only way of defeating her is to visit the temple of Bahamut and reserect him. But, when they get to his temple, they are attacked by a gang of Tiamat's spawn. After a quick fight, they realize they cant win. Thats when Zugh steps in. He kills the spawn easily, and helps the others summon Bahaumut. He explains to the Adventurers that someone discovered one of Tiamat's Jems, and in order to keep her from ruling the world, he would have to summon her and Bahamut. After the two Gods meet, Zugh sacrafises himself, and the Gods disappear into their own temples. Tiamat'sems are hidden over the world, never to be found again.

When Worlds Collide: In a post-Appoctalyptic World, the Adventurers soon learn that they are doomed. A poisonous gas is going to cover the atmosphere, killing all life on earth. They find a way to go back in time, but they will need help from Gyld, te Great Gold Dragon. He takess them to the past, where they meet Abciioo (Ab-Kye-Oh), a monk. He leads them to their destination, only to have them realize that he is their greatest enemy.

So, what do you think? Which one? I really need help.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon is offline Cursed by the Gods
    Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up

Ask them, then prepare accordingly. Also, remember, if you're having fun, then you'll find everyone else is as well. Relax, and have a great time. Be sure to share with us your experiences DM'ing your new gaming group.

Oh, and seeing as how i have never played any of your options given, i offer no opinion other than that they all sound like great fun.
    Thoth-Amon, Lord of the Underworld and the Undead
    Once you know what the magician knows, it's not magick. It's a 'tool of Creation'. -Archmagus H.H.
    The first step to expanding your reality is to discard the tendency to exclude things from possibility. - Meridjet

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks! Yeah, I'm just nervous, being the youngest and the DM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    My first time DMing was with a bunch of older players. They of course went completely off the beaten path and seemed to disregard every hook for anything I had thought of doing. I decided to wing it... Soon time travel and clandestine meetings with the Smurfs came into play...

It turned out to be great fun. Before long, I was sought after as a DM.

I have played out shades of the first idea with some success.
    I like the potential of the second idea.
    The third idea could be great fun, depending on the players. Some players are genre nazis... I have tried all sorts of time travel, genre twisting, and system switching. Most like a change of pace, but some can be very against it.

Thoth-Amon gives good advice, give the players a little survey. See what they like, expect, want, would accept, etc. Then you can create a game that fits them perfectly.
    Most men lead lives of quiet desperation.

Downloads
    Uploads
    You definitely have a flair for the dramatic. I agree that you should simply ask the players their opinions without giving too much away.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    ...survey says!

=D
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    On the Tiamat thing: Don't.

It is bad form to set it up so the PCs must be rescued by the NPC. Seriously, it is way unheroic and steals the feeling of accomplishment from the players.

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    The Dean of Old School
    The Olde Phoenix Inn
    Metro Detroit Linux Users Group

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by rabkala View Post
    My first time DMing was with a bunch of older players. They of course went completely off the beaten path and seemed to disregard every hook for anything I had thought of doing. I decided to wing it... Soon time travel and clandestine meetings with the Smurfs came into play...

It turned out to be great fun. Before long, I was sought after as a DM.

I have played out shades of the first idea with some success.
    I like the potential of the second idea.
    The third idea could be great fun, depending on the players. Some players are genre nazis... I have tried all sorts of time travel, genre twisting, and system switching. Most like a change of pace, but some can be very against it.

Thoth-Amon gives good advice, give the players a little survey. See what they like, expect, want, would accept, etc. Then you can create a game that fits them perfectly.

Smurfs!!!

"but hey, that's just my opinion... I could be wrong!" - Dennis Miller

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Zugh is a little young for the smurfs.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hey, I love the Smurfs! The origanal cartoon was the bomb, but they shouldnt make the whole 3-D movie

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    At 13 you know the smurfs? Wait there is a 3-D movie coming out?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I will so camp out to be the first at the movie!!
    Most men lead lives of quiet desperation.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Won't that be a little cold in December?