Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone running a Science Fiction game?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Anyone running a Science Fiction game?

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    So is anyone actually running a science fiction / futuristic game? If so:

1. What genre? (e.g. Cyberpunk, Hard SF, Space Opera, Post-Apocalyptic)
    2. What rules? (e.g. d20 Modern/Future, D6, GURPS, Traveller)
    3. How's it going?
    "On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
    - Charles Babbage (1791 - 1871)

ronpyatt is offline Dallas Organizer & Admin Golden d20 Award
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Soft Sci-Fi, modern psychic adventure, near future.
    I'm play testing a modified version of PDQ, (2d10).
    So far, it's the easiest GMing I've ever done.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I ran a Star Wars game that ended just under a year ago. It was a whole lot of fun, but one player went off to war, another fell off the map because he joined a cult, leaving us with three players and myself. It wasn't enough stimulation I suppose. So it faded out after a year of solid play.

Now I have a ton of books and a hundred mini's. Still, love the game.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Moritz View Post
    I ran a Star Wars game that ended just under a year ago. It was a whole lot of fun, but one player went off to war, another fell off the map because he joined a cult
    Not to digress too much, but a cult? Interesting. That's not something I hear every day.

Downloads
    Uploads

Rifts

Don't know if this link is still active, but here is what I'm doing.
    1. What genre? (e.g. Cyberpunk, Hard SF, Space Opera, Post-Apocalyptic) - I'm doing a Post Apocalyptic - Rifts Game
    2. What rules? (e.g. d20 Modern/Future, D6, GURPS, Traveller) - Palladium System
    3. How's it going? Just started, in Character creation.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Say, Farcaster, a cult is like an abusive spouse. They try to separate you from all your friends.
    And Moritz, let me know if you plan to start up another SW game. I even have my own Lego Light sabre (sniker, sniker)

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I've considered it, a lot. But recently I've moved down to Waxahachie, opened another chiropractic office, and been just so busy with the girlfriend and all that goes into that environment. - But not the abusive spouse type - when we find the time this summer, I'll be running a super heroic game and she wants to play, so yay.

So, perhaps in the fall I may start up a SW game. Depending on time, location, location, location, and interest.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I run classic Traveller, with the standard galaxy of house rules and modifications. I also run Star Trek (Last Unicorn Games/Icon System).

While a huge ST fan, getting others into it hasn't always been easy so I've focused on Traveller and we've developed a very in depth campaign universe as a result.

Now if I can only find players and a regular gaming schedule...

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSpaceBeagle View Post
    I also run Star Trek (Last Unicorn Games/Icon System).
    I loved that game. My group played Star Trek using that system for a brief time while we took a sabbatical from D&D. If you were here in Seattle, I'd join your game in a heartbeat!
    Robert A. Howard
    Pen & Paper Games
    Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks I appreciate that. I'm also glad you liked the game itself. I was a playtester on the Star Trek: TNG game and one of the writers on the Andorian sourcebook. Decipher really needs to revamp it's system and start producing books. That or give up the license and let someone else do something with it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Currently running a Star Wars game. Set 3 years after Episode III which did not end how you saw it end in the movie! MMMWWWWHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I've been interested in trying an Aliens games using the D20 Modern rules. The ALIEN trilogy are my favorite movies of all time!
    "I'm afraid it is you who are mistaken. About a great, many things."

"It is not the rules that make or break a game, it's the GM and the players."

Downloads
    Uploads
    Running a d20 Modern Urban Arcana campaign, set right here in Edmonton. It's a lot of fun, and as someone commented earlier, some of the easiest GMing I've ever done. One of the benefits of placing it in the city we live in is, I don't have to spend a lot of time describing things. If I tell them, "The wolf-thing runs into the Muttart Conservatory" they know exactly what I'm talking about. And what other game would feature a female jock that fights evil using a lacrosse stick?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Argent,

I ran a game set in my home town, then Dallas, and another in Los Angeles. You're right, using a local setting where everyone is familiar with and/or able to drive to is really freaking easy.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Moritz View Post
    Argent,

I ran a game set in my home town, then Dallas, and another in Los Angeles. You're right, using a local setting where everyone is familiar with and/or able to drive to is really freaking easy.
    And I find the players get more into it as well. They have an investment in the setting that isn't there if you make Generic, Canada their hometown. As well, I can introduce local celebrities/personalities as NPCs, sometimes with a little twist to keep it interesting. For instance, the Mayor is a sorcerer; not a very powerful one, but he uses his magic to help sway council votes and deal with other politicians. The party knows this, can't prove it, and aren't sure whether he is a good guy or a bad guy. And I'm not telling yet...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Argent View Post
    Running a d20 Modern Urban Arcana campaign, set right here in Edmonton. It's a lot of fun, and as someone commented earlier, some of the easiest GMing I've ever done. One of the benefits of placing it in the city we live in is, I don't have to spend a lot of time describing things. If I tell them, "The wolf-thing runs into the Muttart Conservatory" they know exactly what I'm talking about. And what other game would feature a female jock that fights evil using a lacrosse stick?
    Yeah, your right! when i lived in Kansas City we played a Vampire game set in KC. It was great cause everyone knew the layout of the city and the local celebrities who were Vampires also!!!
    "I'm afraid it is you who are mistaken. About a great, many things."

"It is not the rules that make or break a game, it's the GM and the players."

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast