Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Anyone running a Science Fiction game?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulsiphix View Post
    I'll soon be running a BattleTech/Starship Troopers campaign, using the FASA and GURPS rulesets. I'm considering even adding in many of the universe elements from Vor: The Maelstrom. It will be my first RP campaign (not adventure) and I'm going nuts with excitement
    This sounds interesting!!! Are you going to be posting updates about the game as it goes? Something like a log?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm going to make a website for it actually. I'll most likely run two or three games a week with different groups (possibly entirely on the internet) which are different squads of soldiers. They will team up from time to time for adventures but I plan to detail the world heavily after the novel and roughnecks animted series.

The website will contain data logs, possibly videos of each session (probably heavily edited to trim out all the "waiting" and scheduled AFK), a wiki will full character and setting info, and anything else I can think of that would fit. I'll use the website to recruit people in the beginning and the players can use it to keep current on what the other squads adventures are like.

I plan to add onto the universe heavily though. This campaign will be designed to run for one to three years, depending on how things are going during the first year. BattleTech itself takes quite a while of time to play depending on the encounter. The setting will most likely be 50% combat/50% RP.

The VOR, and any other monsters I pull from gaming lines, will be created under a mix of the BattleTech alien rules and GURPS. I'll use as much GURPS as I can to define it but more than anything I'll be making sure it fits into the BattleTech games as a balanced opponent.

Right now I'm trying to write my first book. I've written countless short stories and worked on several projects but have never written an actual novel. As a writer I am interested in creating a new universe that is vast and magnificent. Something huge like Star Wars or Star Trek. Whether this setting will be my "super setting" is unknown but I do plan to create campaigns that I can use as a basis for my novels, and that can be fed by information from my novels.
    Last edited by Mulsiphix; 01-15-2008 at 01:08 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Good luck with your new campaign.

Jay ~Meow!~

Downloads
    Uploads
    Many thanks. Once I get things more organized I'll dedicate a thread to it in order to get some feedback. I'm betting quite a few of the inhabitants here have seen or read Starship Troopers

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Cyberpunk
    Shadowrun 4th
    Pretty good. I've been running missions from the website to get up to speed. I'm using another campaign setting soon as ideas for the upcoming arc away from the missions arc.

Carl
    GMing: Shadowrun 4th
    The Denver RPG Group - My Shadowrun Site - My Shadowrun Blog - Shadowrun Mooks
    I also administer the Mosaic and Stained Glass forums if you happen to be artistic

Downloads
    Uploads
    Freejack! That name is awesome! Someone should make an RPG based on that corny Sci-Fi movie!

Mick Jagger, Emilio Estevez, Anthony Hopkins and Renee Russo! Classic!
    "I'm afraid it is you who are mistaken. About a great, many things."

"It is not the rules that make or break a game, it's the GM and the players."

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Inquisitor Tremayne View Post
    Freejack! That name is awesome! Someone should make an RPG based on that corny Sci-Fi movie!

Mick Jagger, Emilio Estevez, Anthony Hopkins and Renee Russo! Classic!
    Yep. Got it on DVD

"By the way, you don't know how to drive."

Carl
    GMing: Shadowrun 4th
    The Denver RPG Group - My Shadowrun Site - My Shadowrun Blog - Shadowrun Mooks
    I also administer the Mosaic and Stained Glass forums if you happen to be artistic

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm running a saga game, it's great. I want to play as a character really badly though.

I think it would be cool to run a Saga ruled game with a super troopers or alien setting. Make the force "luck" and cut out the force user classes.. Super troopers/aliens campaign would in my mind be a more soldier/scout/scoundrel campaign anyhow.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Anybody here seen the Roughnecks animated series?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Many thanks. Once I get things more organized I'll dedicate a thread to it in order to get some feedback. I'm betting quite a few of the inhabitants here have seen or read Starship Troopers
    It's two seperate catagories really. The movie might be based off the book, but they are very different.

Starship Troopers is not my favorite Heinlein. He is too preachy throughout.

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    My favorite game console is a table and chairs.
    The Olde Phoenix Inn

Downloads
    Uploads
    Heinlein was a visionary that was unfortunately brought into this world before his time. The Starship Troopers movie was so loosely based on the book that it disgusts me. If you've ever seen the Roughnecks animated series you'll understand why. What was your favorite Heinlein book then?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I must admit that I don't remember much Heinlein - except for one "juvenile" novel. That was Starman Jones. It gave such a grand vision of accidental exploration, and an interesting form of FTL travel. I think what it also illustrated was the ability of the individual if he has the right gifts determination and the right situation to suceed even if "society" says he can't. The protaganist is a relative of an astrogator with a photographic memory - astrogators are trained by a guild and he is rejected. He gets on a space liner as a very low ranking crewman and is able to save the ship with his gift.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I wish I could have met the man myself

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I sometimes wonder if books like Revolt in 2100 played much part in derailing the space program.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Heinlein was a visionary that was unfortunately brought into this world before his time. The Starship Troopers movie was so loosely based on the book that it disgusts me. If you've ever seen the Roughnecks animated series you'll understand why. What was your favorite Heinlein book then?
    "Time Enough for Love" I have a signed hardcover on my shelf. "Stranger in a Strange Land" rates highly. I'm not too fond of the later works. I like the Future History series or tales in general. "Glory Road" is another favorite.

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    My favorite game console is a table and chairs.
    The Olde Phoenix Inn

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast