Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Dresden Files RPG

Downloads
    Uploads

The Dresden Files RPG

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Its just a few months out now - I'm pretty excited. Anyone else in the Seattle area interested in maybe getting a game together when it arrives?

Cheers ~

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I never watched the series, so I don't know much about it. Still, I'd be interested in sitting in on a session. It sounds interesting.
    Robert A. Howard
    Pen & Paper Games
    Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The series was a lot of fun - but in many ways it was very different than the books. (I highly recommend the books!) In a lot of ways, the setting is like the WoD setting, but with Butcher's take on things. I think some familiarity with the books would help (or at least put things in context), but most of the basics could probably come through the source books and a brief online wiki review. (but for flavor, ya gotta read at least one book)

The key to the experience will be finding a GM who likes the setting and can lead folks through the revamped FATE system the game will be using. (this is why I have started the search early - I have a place and two ravid fans, just need to find another player or two and a solid GM!)

I'll keep you posted on the progress and I'm sure a spectator sitting in would be fine. Plus, meeting new fellow gamers is always a bonus.

Cheers ~

icky ricardo
    --- Merged from Double Post ---
    PS - as a quick aside, if anyone is thinking they may be interested in the setting but can't catch The Dresden Files: The Series (they are available on Hulu) - you can also try picking up one or two of the paperbacks (they're inexpensive). If you don't have a lot of spare time to sit down and read, they are available as audio books (download from audible.com/etc) and read by James Marsters (Spike from Buffy the Vampire Slayer) who does an excellent job bringing the characters to life.
    Last edited by Spazzle; 03-10-2010 at 02:24 PM. Reason: Automerged Double Post

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I really enjoy reading the book series but actually prefer Jim's Codex series more than the Dresden one.
    Still, I had no idea they made a RPG. Is it more based on the television series or the books?

Downloads
    Uploads
    its based on the books. Frag the tv series. they couldn't even get everyones fav. cute button nosed martial art detective right.
    I do not play them here or there, I do not play them anywhere, I do not play them with a fox. I do not mash that button box. I do not like MMO games. In the end ther're all the same.
    -Tesral

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Eh, different medium. It's not always feasible to fully adapt book-material to television without making concessions, nor is it always even a goal in adapting an existing work. The books are what they are, the show was what it was.

(Also, the game makes me squee~ Can't wait to get my hands on it.)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Aye - I like the series for different reasons than I like the book - they both have their strengths. (though if I absolutely had to choose, I'd go with the novels)

One of the things I really dug about the series is that they made magic feel a lot more subtle than the books - which isn't a bad thing.

And I am very much in squee over the impending release of the RPG.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by cigamnogard View Post
    Still, I had no idea they made a RPG. Is it more based on the television series or the books?
    The books, straight-up. Jim Butcher actually approached the guys at Evil Hat and asked them if they would do it and has been a regular influence in their design process. This plus Evil Hat's overall excellence in quality, creativity and attention to detail bodes very well for the game. I like that they've constantly stressed that they are "taking their time" with the game to get it right.

I am very much looking forward to this game and hope that I can wrangle some of my players' interests enough to let me run it for them (some have read the books, others haven't).
    HARRY DRESDEN — WIZARD
    Lost items found. Paranormal Investigations.
    Consulting. Advice. Reasonable Rates.
    No Love Potions, Endless Purses, or Other Entertainment.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Is there a link to a site or anything like that?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The Dresden Files, for the game.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Awesome!
    My thanks!

Downloads
    Uploads
    Giving this thread a nudge because the book is technically out in PDF now, if you pre-order it. I snagged it, went through Your Story and skimmed Our World. Anyone else take a look, or have any thoughts?

It's a very lovingly made book, I can tell you that much. Lots of character, written in the perspective of Billy of the Alphas with Dresden and Bob chiming in now and again, usually to humorous effect. The system (FATE) is a pretty assertive and cooperative one, it focuses mostly on roleplay and character elements, which is really cool. About the only problem is that I wish there was a clear and concise chart for Thaumaturgy, which is the most complicated system. There's also a big emphasis on research, though it can be skipped if you like.

Overall it's pretty great, I might try running a game of it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I skimmed through the pdfs as well, but I only do so/so with digital material for reading. I'm waiting for the hardcopies to arrive in the beginning of July to really dig into it. Looks like a lot of fun for the right folks.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The production value is incredible. I don't know the Dresdenverse well enough to run a game in it, but if I ever do learn it well, I may give running it a go. For folks who are fans, this game feels like a real hit to me.
    RPGAlaska.com - a gaming community for Alaskans!

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I've got the PDFs too, even had the beta ones for a bit... bought the pre-orders and got the full PDFs a few days ago... I've also got two squeeing players and of course myself!!!!

I agree with Spazzle, I really NEED the hard covers to READ!!!

I like digital media, but I really use it for quick referencing, searches and setups... having both is always a bonus and I wish that every RPG came with a digital copy of this quality when you bought it!!

We 3 are loving the artistic way they did up the book like an old notebook/spellbook too and the dialog on sticky notes fits the books
    Leva, Älska, Spel! / Live, Love, Game! / Degero, Amor, Venatus!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast