Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone actually like gnomes?

Downloads
    Uploads

Does anyone actually like gnomes?

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Just as the title says. I have yet to meet someone whose favorite race was the gnome.

Downloads
    Uploads
    The Gnome is not my favorite race, I'm going to admit. But they aren't useless. I hear they make good Bards. But I wouldn't know. Everyone I play with hates Gnomes.

Downloads
    Uploads
    See, everybody hates gnomes. I think it is because Dwarves are cooler and halflings are more likable.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    not everybody. I happen to like gnomes and use them quite often in my campaigns. Halflings are the hated race with my groupl

Downloads
    Uploads
    What's there to hate about the lovable hobbi.. I mean halfling. Boy, nearly got sued there.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I like gnomes - and most of the folks I play with are the same. We don't really hate any particular race. The closest we come to are Drow/Shadar Kai - but that's not really hate. We just tend to roll our eyes a bit with all the "dark/edgy/anti hero" cliches they engender.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Who plays a Drow as a hero? Anytime I have been that race it was to be self serving,then again I am always self serving. I typically pick either chaotic neutral or neutral evil. I have NEVER been good, it is just so stupid.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon is offline Cursed by the Gods
    Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up

I love love love Gnomes and Hobbits. You just have to have the right background description for their respective races.

A Drow as a hero? Drizzt has already been done. I hate Drizzt. Unless you are talking about a hero to the Drow races, or antihero to the rest of us. Then in that case, it is a-okay with me.

I also play N, NE, CN, CE, and sometimes LN, or LE. Why play anything else.
    Thoth-Amon, Lord of the Underworld and the Undead
    Once you know what the magician knows, it's not magick. It's a 'tool of Creation'. -Archmagus H.H.
    The first step to expanding your reality is to discard the tendency to exclude things from possibility. - Meridjet

Downloads
    Uploads
    I like gnomes, though I tend to prefer renderings that emphasize their fey aspects rather than others (such as them being mechanical tinkerers).

In one of my favorite campaign settings, they are feared even by the giants for their innate understanding of the magic inherent in the world. They have so much power at their disposal, and yet they simply don't care to use it, not viewing it as a tool.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I suppose I could take them or leave them as far as using them in my games or playing them. One of my players from a group long past, however, was in love with playing gnomes. And honestly, they do have some interesting personalities to work with that brings something different and interesting to the table, just as all the races have their eccentricities.
    Robert A. Howard
    Pen & Paper Games
    Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I have played two gnomes - and liked them both. Both survived their campaigns and have been emersed into NPCs as I now GM/DM.
    Note - I have only played one human.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Gnomes have never been one of my favorite races. However, I do know players who enjoy playing them. I was forced to play a gnome once by a DM friend who wanted to make all of the characters and assign them to the players. I was not at all crazy about it at first. But I did have fun with the character and in time, he got to be pretty powerful.
    "Plan?...There ain't no plan!" - Pigkiller

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't like gnomes because they cover ground already owned by elves, dwarves, and halflings. I also find them not very interesting either. I like Kobolds, since they are hard-working. Gnomes are like the grasshopper in that parable by aesop with kobolds as the ants.

I find the gnomes of dragonlance to be interesting and curious. They are unique, but players don't like the technological bit.

I find gnomes to a race that is not really needed in my games in my opinion. I dont think i will ever play a gnome character. I frankly dont want to.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I had a friend who pretty much ALWAYS played a gnome. Mainly because he liked the illusionist class (I am talking about 1st edition, even though this is a 3.x discussion) and the illusionist was always too weak to be just an illusionist, so he always opted for multi-classing and the only race allowed to do that was the gnome.

Whoever said it, yeah, never saw a halfling in our group. Always a gnome.

I don't like what 4e has done with the gnomes, but I'll live. In my game, I change the flavor so they are more like 1st ed. gnomes and mechanically like 3rd edition (specifically a +2 to CON and a +2 to either int or cha).

But what's not to love about pranksters. To me, that is the gnome - prankster.
    "I'm not going crazy. I'm going sane in a CRAZY world!"

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't hate gnomes but I don't play them either. they are pretty popular in the Pathfinder/Golarion setting and they make great bards & sorcerers.

"but hey, that's just my opinion... I could be wrong!" - Dennis Miller

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast