Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Thread: Anti-spellcaster, need help please!

Downloads
    Uploads

Anti-spellcaster, need help please!

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Hi everyone.

So, the 3.5e Dnd game I'm in has a really powerful enemy spellcaster.

You see, we once killed an enemy which the DM had intended to be a recurring character, so now he's learned to not underestimate us. So he's created a really power enemy spellcaster, lvl 12 Earth/Ice spec either mage or warlock or sorcerer, and of the 6 of us we're all lvl 4.
    The enemy caster also has a really high disguise ability, and usually disguises himself as one of our allies, until we get close and then he blasts us with ice orbs or something.
    Although the DM has so far stopped us from dying, he's also placed this enemy spellcaster wherever we go, usually stopping us in our tracks.

I kinda want to find a way to deal with this enemy, whether its to kill him (preferred) or at least stop him interfering with us. He's evil, we're good. We can detect evil at will, but usually don't get a chance to, as we usually think we're meeting someone we've already met before.

I guess the biggest challenge here is that he always ambushes us, (since he's run by the DM) but we can never surprise him. Kinda need a way to be ready for him, but not that we're doing nothing but detecting evil on everyone we see. (Since we meet a loooot of npcs)

Thanks
    Zlirn

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sounds to me like the DM has got it in for you guys. At fourth level you are not supposed to be able to handle a 12th level spellcaster. Even if you somehow managed to provoke an ambush were you could all charge him at once I doubt you would be successful.

IMO you should talk to your DM about this.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by d-_-b View Post

IMO you should talk to your DM about this.
    I agree; that is shenanigans on the part of the DM. An enemy that could easily wipe out the whole party with one or two spells would not spend so much time with hit and run skirmishes. The NPC doesn't make sense. As for fighting the caster, it might be worth your while to fight fire with fire and hire a higher level NPC who could potentially find him. Otherwise, your only chance is grappling, since even a high-level caster would have a terrible grapple check.

However, I too would recommend just talking with your DM. You are essentially fighting him rather than the NPC, since he can see all your moves, and adjust accordingly. You shouldn't have to go on a manhunt just because the DM has a favorite villain that he is determined to keep alive.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the responses guys.
    Yea, I've been feeling that we're really fighting the DM instead of the character, but he keeps insisting that we're not. But from the sounds of things, it appears that something is up.
    I'll talk to him tomorrow to try and resolve this.

Downloads
    Uploads
    the mage slayer feat does prevent casting spells on the offensive - this would cut back significantly on his offensive abilities

Downloads
    Uploads
    Okay, first thing you need to do is destroy the source of the caster's power. So reach across the table and slap some sense into the DM. As far as I can tell your DM is upset over you killing his recurring enemy and is handling it like a fool. The other option is the DM is a fool and is playing the character as one as well. A level twelve caster could easily squash you all like bugs at the same time. There is nothing more frustrating than the DM dicking the players around. I mean if the baddie is popping up everywhere like some scooby-doo villain than the game just gets ridiculous. Another thing that occurs to me is why is he attacking your party at all, does he have a motivation other than being villainous? This all points to really poor DMing to me, so talk some sense into your DM and get the game back on track. Or find a new DM, though if you are friends then that probably isn't an option.

If this all sounded rather rude it is because reading this thread pissed me the hell off, thus I lost my fine control of etiquette. Though under the current circumstances I believe that my lack of control is more compelling to get you to do what you need to.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Or you could possibly come to find that the DM is trying to keep you from having your characters meet an early demise by fighting something that you shouldn't have. It is not written that every encounter the party comes to, they need to fight until either one side or the other is dead. Some creatures are just stronger than others, while even weaker creatures can be a problem if there is a large number of them.

I mention this possibility, since I am speaking from experience in the game that my tabletop group is currently doing. We have had a couple of close calls, but by luck, the dice were on the side of the party each time. Now we have managed to attack and defeat a large group of orcs. I am sure that we were supposed to wait and come attack when we were at full hit points and spell capability, but no we charged on ahead. After that, we still proceeded and came across some weird gnome types that will not let up proceed further down until we defeat some trolls.

We were met by 4 trolls for the first wave. By luck again, we got the dice rolls when we badly needed them. Now we are at a point where if we don't retreat, we are going to be getting slaughtered. The highest level fighter is my 4th level Dwarf fighter and I currently have 4 Hit Points left. Talking with the DM afterwards, it sounds like if we retreat, that the trolls will not give chase. Then again, that is what the gnomes were telling the party, that we were not strong enough yet to proceed further into the underdark.

Some may say that this is railroading the party, but, maybe, just maybe, your DM/GM is trying to keep you from having to make new characters.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hey guys

So the DM has agreed that the high-lvl caster probably shouldn't be around anymore, and that some changes are gonna happen in our sessions so it won't feel like we're fighting the DM so much anymore.

Thanks for all your help, I'll let you guys know how our next session goes on saturday!

Downloads
    Uploads
    A lot of chuckles in The Magic King's response, but I particularly enjoyed:

Quote Originally Posted by The Magic King View Post
    I mean if the baddie is popping up everywhere like some scooby-doo villain than the game just gets ridiculous.

Zlirn, if your party ever subdues the 12th-level jinxy spellcaster and ties him up, be sure to take off his mask. If some of the previous posters' hunches are correct, it might just be your DM under there. And he'll probably say something along the lines of, "And I would've gotten away with it, if it wasn't for you meddling kids!"

Downloads
    Uploads
    @The magic king

Sorry, it occurs that I forgot to include the baddie's motivation.
    We possess a set of books that the baddie wants.
    We've already given the set of books to the caster once before, but the DM railroaded us into going and getting them back once. He's also said flat-out that the caster getting the books is a world-kill.

@Hiraevun

LOL
    Last edited by Zlirn; 03-09-2010 at 01:03 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    He's also said flat-out that the caster getting the books is a world-kill.
    -Zlirn

Jesus tap-dancing christ, a world kill is a bit much for a 12th level caster, and that is an epic railroading if ever there was.