Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What was your first time playing role playing games like?

Downloads
    Uploads

What was your first time playing role playing games like?

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    So? What was your first experience with Dungeons and Dragons or another role playing system? Mine, was like 20 people huddled around a four person table, and it was magically social. spilling soda, loud. It was awesome.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Mine was at a college in 1975, it was just me and the dm. His name was Dan and he ran a version of original d&d named Warlock. We only played a couple of more times then he graduated. My first dming was at a guys house that I had met through a gaming magazine.

Neither were spectacular but it was enough to get me excited about rpgs.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    From my page:

I started gaming long long ago with family games like Battleship, Risk, Chess, Rack-O, and Pinochle. Then Dad brought home Avalon Hill's Outdoor Survival which was pretty cool. I got further into war games and got Richthofen's War which is one of my favorite wargames. Wooden Ships & Iron Men is another of my favorites. Other war games I got in to were Luftwaffe, Blitzkreig, and Kreigspiel.

About that time I joined the military. I went to the local military recreation center and played a few games of cards and even went to a war gaming convention where I did pretty well with Richthofen's War.

As it happens, one evening after finishing a game of double pack pinochle, I wandered over to another table where a group of folks were gathered around a map. Specifically I remember little periods in front of line drawings of city streets. At one end of the table was a thin yellow cardboard screen. Two the right of the screen, the guy had a large briefcase opened and on end. When I started to see what he had, he chased me away I didn't know it then but I suspect it was the original City State adventure.

After several games, I went out and bought the new D&D boxed set. Blue book, Dungeon Geomorphs, and the Monster and Treasure tables. I created some dungeons using the geomorphs and populated them with the monsters and treasures from the tables.

More here

Carl
    GMing: Shadowrun 4th
    The Denver RPG Group - My Shadowrun Site - My Shadowrun Blog - Shadowrun Mooks
    I also administer the Mosaic and Stained Glass forums if you happen to be artistic

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon is offline Cursed by the Gods
    Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hm, around 1974-75: Played from sunup to sundown. It was awesomely awesome in its awesomeness. We didn't want to quit. Been playing ever since.
    Thoth-Amon, Lord of the Underworld and the Undead
    Once you know what the magician knows, it's not magick. It's a 'tool of Creation'. -Archmagus H.H.
    The first step to expanding your reality is to discard the tendency to exclude things from possibility. - Meridjet

Downloads
    Uploads
    I remember my first time.......A friend of mine was telling me about a cool game she was playing with another friend of mine. She described all the awesome things she could do in the game, and I, being a little kid at the time, thought she was talking about a video or board game. Later that day, I went over to that friends house. They handed me a char sheet, and I thought it was their homework! They helped me make a Necromancer [I was really into Diablo 2 at the time] and I played my first DnD session ever!

Downloads
    Uploads
    I remember my first time... the game was ruined because the whole time everyone made Glenn Beck jokes for three hours.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I've posted the story in greater depth elsewhere on the boards but mine was around '95 when a high school friend that I met because we both played Magic: The Gathering asked me if I had ever played a strange game called Dungeons & Dragons. He GMed a few no-rules, solo sessions for me (most of which ended horribly for my character) and I was hooked. With still no knowledge of the rules (and only a very loose notion of those "funky" dice that I saw other people tossing around) I began trying to run adventures for my brother and his friends. When I discovered that there was a Star Wars role playing game, I ran a no-rules Star Wars campaign for a friend over the phone during the summer months while I waited for my pre-ordered Star Wars RPG rulebook to be released. Best summer ever!
    HARRY DRESDEN WIZARD
    Lost items found. Paranormal Investigations.
    Consulting. Advice. Reasonable Rates.
    No Love Potions, Endless Purses, or Other Entertainment.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I was nine if I remember correctly. Anyway, It was RIFTS and my oldest brother was GM. My other brother and my youngest sister were also playing. I was a bounty hunter and killed my target who unfortunately was only wanted alive. Then I tried to make up for the loss by selling his equipment, unfortunately I asked his friends to buy it. They shot me out a window with a grenade launcher. During the time this was all occurring my sister had stolen my sweet hover bike and proceeded to crash it in the desert at 90 miles per hour. Not the smoothest first experience, but it was really fun.
    I almost forgot that the first thing that happened was actually wannabe juicers trying to cut off my cybernetics with a chainsaw. My brother is a terrible person. but it was pretty fun...

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sleepover at friends, they pulled it out.
    I made a character under their direction.
    Found myself in the Village of Homlett and so began my RPG'er days.
    Bill
    The Yeti aka Magnus the Archmage
    ~"Henry Bowman lives within each and everyone of us, and it's time to start acting like it. "
    A Story Hour set in Valus by Funeris
    http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=97346
    My SH Set in Valus 20yrs after Funeris's Valus SH
    http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=133211
    Bryon_Soulweaver - "Stupid nobles, hope Mangus blasts them (and I woundn't doubt if he could)."
    Funeris's 2nd SH(he isDM)
    http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=130328

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm not sure I remember my first time. I don't think it's all that different from what it is today, 'cept that I'm much more efficient at timing jokes :P

Downloads
    Uploads
    Believe it or not, every time I sit down to play, I think back to the first time I played.

Back in 1982, at Boy Scout camp, one kid had that red box edition of D&D and he asked if anyone wanted to play. It was late and cold outside, so I decided to check it out. We whipped up characters and set out on an adventure that started me on a path towards being a D&D nerd (a term I mean in a complimentary sense- like a badge of honor) for the rest of my life. Sounds corny, I know, but it's true!

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Was in 1991 while in the Persian Gulf War. Wasn't much to do when your unit had a little bit of down time after the conclusion of the ground war, so I figured that I would check it out. Definately glad that I did. The thrill of trying to complete a quest and overcome the various obsticals and creatures was a rush. Have been gaming ever since.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Talking

Mine was a whole lot like the first time I had sex.

I had heard about this amazing thing from a good friend.
    I sat down with some people that I felt an affinity towards, but hadn't really met yet.
    We got going with some light banter.

Suddenly it was... WTF???
    Then... OMFG!!! WOW!! NUNGA-YEEHAH, ZOOP-ZOOP NABISCO!!!!!!
    and finally, WHERE DID THE NIGHT GO AND WHEN CAN I DO THIS AGAIN?!?!

Well... KINDA like the first time I had sex. There was no real feeling like I might want to shower with the person I was with afterward. BOY that would have been awkward!!

* I just had a thought... BOY would my first sexual experience been different had I screamed, "DIE, HELL-SPAWN OF HE WHO WATCHES," as I swung my mace down at her head like during my first D&D experience!!

Then again... maybe not...

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon is offline Cursed by the Gods
    Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'd like to see someone best Malruhn's response. Tough act to follow, no question.
    Thoth-Amon, Lord of the Underworld and the Undead
    Once you know what the magician knows, it's not magick. It's a 'tool of Creation'. -Archmagus H.H.
    The first step to expanding your reality is to discard the tendency to exclude things from possibility. - Meridjet

Downloads
    Uploads
    That was wonderful!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast