Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Fore-and-aft Spaceship Design Considered Silly

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    I don't know if I mentioned it before (and I probably didn't as this isn't about deck plans) but Traveller: 2300 and 2300 A.D. both dealt with a very realistic future. No artificial gravity and FTL that was more akin to matter transportation than actually breaking the laws of FTL physics. The ships were designed realistically and without artificial gravity (some using rotation to create the illusion of gravity, others not even bothering with it). Unfortunately, I don't think there were ever any deck plans made for that game.

Downloads
    Uploads
    In space...no one can hear you whine...

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Nice site.

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    My favorite game console is a table and chairs.
    The Olde Phoenix Inn

Downloads
    Uploads
    I am currently selling plans for spacecraft that do not use handwavium gravity generation. One of them, appropriately dubbed the Heinlein (pic in my sig), is a good, old fashioned flash gordon looking rocket, with plausible capabilities and tech. If you wanna see the plans (I believe in preview prior to blowing $25 bucks myself) You can access my Flicr slideshow off of my homepage: http://bluemaxstudios.blogspot.com/ . I'm doing How-to articles on plausible RPG spacecraft design, if anyone is interested in making there own. Either way, I got links to some great Hard SF resources for rockets up as well, so feel free to visit!
    Last edited by RockDad; 10-23-2010 at 04:48 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    For all you early birds, here's some sexy space-ly-ness with which to start your day:

http://bluemaxstudios.blogspot.com/2...-for-role.html

Happy Monday!

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Looks like a decent site outside of the scroll and wait latency of the too many toys website. If again, you are doing hard science.

On his point of interesting ships. We have a fairly standard guideline for Star Trek. "The PC ship is better than 80% of what it encounters." Why? Becasue ship combat is not what Star Trek is about. It is not D&D with phasers. Star Trek is about people problems. The ship should be a fairly secure method of getting the players from issue to issue, not their chief problem in life. ST has been described as Mary Worth in space, and that is an accurate assessment. ST is about people problems. I tend to speicalize in oddball rescues.

TNG episode The Outrageous Ohana is a perfect example. The plot is basically Romeo and Juliet with a Han Solo-alike playing Friar Lawrence. the PC ship steps into help "Lawrence" with a technical issue and gets embroiled in the affairs of the two warring houses and the star crossed lovers. It is not their problem at the start of the story. They are observers and mediators, but they could easily dump the whole mess over board and move on, it is never their problem. They make it their problem and that is the perfect Star Trek story in a nutshell.

Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
    My favorite game console is a table and chairs.
    The Olde Phoenix Inn

Downloads
    Uploads
    The Hard SF ethic also de-emphasizes combat in space, though for a different reason. Its next to impossible to attack an opposing ship without their concent, and spaceborn attacks are so lethal that its possible no one would survive.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by RockDad View Post
    I am currently selling plans for spacecraft that do not use handwavium gravity generation
    I bought these yesterday. I really like the layouts and underlying assumptions. Actually, giant windows might not be such a good idea. Apart from the threat of decompression, spaceships would probably function entirely on instruments like a submarine. (Then again, the Heinlein assumes comparatively low levels of technology.)

You really should use a spell-checker on the text. ("Discription"?) More space between columns of text would also help clarity. Minor quibbles, though.
    "On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
    - Charles Babbage (1791 - 1871)

Downloads
    Uploads
    @fmitchell:
    Sorry about the layout problems...We are working on that and will have them corrected for next months release.
    The wrap-around windows on the side pods are primarily for atmosphereic flight, cargo loading/unloading and other manuvers where the flight avionics are either impractical or require the emergency backup of bare eyes. All windows are fitted with armored shutters for use when traveling through hazardous debris and during combat maneuvers.
    Feel free to write a review of the products on DriveThruRPG.com, and thanks for the imput. Any suggesstions about future products you'd like to see, email us at mailray@rocket-dad.com.
    Thanks again.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I will be doing the layout for all future projects in Scribus, so that should correct all the issues found in the Heinlein release. I will, ASAP, issue corrected Heinleins (re-done in Scribus) to those buyers who are interested. These new Heinlein PDFs will not contain new material, only corrections and a better layout. Again, sorry about the problems. fmitchell, I assume I can put you down for one?

BTW, Part IV of Deisigning Plausible Spacecraft is up on the sight, now. Check it out for the first look at my latest project!

http://bluemaxstudios.blogspot.com/2...r-role_27.html

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456