Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Thread: Need Raven Queen Trivia! :D

Downloads
    Uploads

Need Raven Queen Trivia! :D

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    I've been building a character with the likeness of the Grim Reaper or an Angel of Death. I've picked the avenger class 'cause it doesn't penalize you for using a scythe.

Anyway, his deity is the Raven Queen for obvious reasons.
    Here's where I've hit a stumbling block: The player's handbook doesn't really go very deep into the culture of Raven Queen worshipers. There's only so much I'm willing to assume about them based on that description alone. Searches online haven't been very helpful because I keep getting very small doses of what I really want to know.

So how should a typical Zealot of The Raven Queen act? Do they dress extravagantly, or simply? Do they have an uncanny obsession with sending people into the Raven Queen's embrace? Are they emo? Do they treat ravens with utmost respect?

I suppose it's all up for a player or DM's interpretation... I just wish there were a little more foundation to work off of. If any of you have something of the sort to help me out, I'd very much appreciate it! Thanks! ^_^

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    My instinct is to ignore the deity's motif as a personality building block, and go with church-specific interpretations of the tenets. The institution would set down their expected behavior and punishments for transgressions. Of course, the character doesn't *need* to follow them to the letter...

(Or, y'know, at all The best change for divine characters 4E made to the game, really.)

I'm tempted to use Bleach's Soul Society as an example of a Raven Queen institution (using Hollows as undead), with its wide range of personalities and attitudes toward (ab)uses of power. A "typical" follower might be Kuchiki Byakuya; an extreme follower, Zaraki Kenpachi; a compassionate follower, Unohana Retsu. An outsider - one with the abilities, but not part of the organization - could be frowned upon, or even killed outright.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Open Grave has a few paragraphs describing the Raven Queen and her place in the shadowfell. More on her realm is in the manual of Planes. Should they produce a book on the shadowfell (If open grave is not already it) it will provide more detail.

However, you should just make up whatever you want. Every god has different aspects that people worship. I had zealous assassins working for Erathis and it blew one player's mind as his character worship the same god.
    Last edited by wizarddog; 02-28-2010 at 07:00 PM.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    From what I've read as a zealot you wouldn't go around killing people to send to the Raven Queen rather...you'd make sure the spirits that got stuck got...uh unstuck. So you'd be like a shinigami or w/e from bleach...or a ghost buster if you will. Also I think the Bird broad likes gray clothing or something. She's also not a real caring person. So be all zealous about nutrality...if that works I guess.
    "...and all the people of the world as one voice sang a hymn.The Song of all creation screamed for justice. We are that justice." -unknown bard's final dictation before the last war.-

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Depends on the sect. Dungeon's October '09 Deities & Demigods article has a group or three that actively bring about death as the will of the Raven Queen. Sometimes it's even humane

As she's Unaligned, there are undoubtedly priests who are ... extreme, the kind for whom a little slaughter of the 'innocent' here and there isn't an ethical transgression, but active expression of piety. After all, who can second-guess Fate?