Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Savage Worlds

Downloads
    Uploads

Savage Worlds

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Has anyone heard of Savage Worlds and what can you tell me about it. starting with a new group on Sunday and I know nothing!!!!
    Chi-Halfling

Downloads
    Uploads
    Savage worlds is a great! game. The core book, which has no setting attached, is only $10. The game is set up to be able to play any genre. It lite and fast. The rules are not complex, The type of die you roll is based on how good you are at something. The dice start out at D4 and go up to D12. But you only need at most I think 2 of each those die types. This goes for both skills and attributes. The better you are at something the high the die type. So if you Strength is a D6- then on Strength checks you will be rolling a D6.
    However, you also get to roll a second die called the Black die: this is always a D6. You roll both the black die and whatever your other die type is and then pick the highest roll. If they both suck you can spend what they call Beanies to reroll. The only thing that beanies can not reroll are damage rolls I beleive. When you spend a beanie you reroll both the black die and the other die; not one or the other. Every character starts out with a number of beanies, and the GM can give them more during play for kool stuff.
    Skills are not restricted like what you would find in a D&D game where you can only have this skill or that if you were X class. The character is also made up with Edges and Henderences - Some of these you can not get unless you are a higher level. This is where you get stuff like the character's spell casting ability - if you want the character to cast spells.

The game has levels, kind of; they are not like what you find in D&D. They are not levels like level 1 level 2 level 3, ect. They are written down like: novice, seasoned, veteran, heroic, legendary. These are attained after every 20 xp gained. However, the characters can increase/gain one skill or attribute, or edge per 5 xp gained.
    Combat is quick and easy as well. Check it out the Pinnacle entertainment groups website has a free quickstart that goes over the base rules check it out.
    I do not play them here or there, I do not play them anywhere, I do not play them with a fox. I do not mash that button box. I do not like MMO games. In the end ther're all the same.
    -Tesral

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah the guy I am playing with got me the core book. I think it is a group of 6, 7 if you count the dm. I know we are playing in a fantasy setting but not much more than that. I was trying to figure out how to make a charactor and was very confused so I have not really looked at the book since then!
    Chi-Halfling

Downloads
    Uploads
    Character creation is pretty simple, Though as always it helps to have a concept before hand to work from. First you pick your race: if you feel unsteady about this it may be best to start out as a human until you are more familure with the game. thats what i did the first time, plus they start with a free edge.
    next you spend the 5 points in attributes. However, remember each attribute starts with a D4 in it. the next part is you buy your skills; you have 15 points to spend. the skills have no die type in them until you buy them with these points. however, each skill has a linked attribute. to buy a skill up to the linked attributes die type cost 1 point each anything beyond that cost 2 points each.
    Then you have Edges and Hindrances. You can take hindrances to get points to do the following: raise an attribute, choose an edge, gain a skill point, or gain additional money. Edges have requirements. Some of these edges requires a certain attribute to be a certain die type, while others require the character to be a certain level in order to buy it. Under Professional edges is where you get class like abilities, such as wizard, gadgetteer, thief,etc.
    Then you buy your gear and thats pretty much it. If you have an major concerns you should speak to your GM since he/she should be very familure with the system. Some setting books have additional rules as well, so you may want to check on that.
    I do not play them here or there, I do not play them anywhere, I do not play them with a fox. I do not mash that button box. I do not like MMO games. In the end ther're all the same.
    -Tesral

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Recently I generated a Savage Worlds character (among others) for my own edification:

http://www.frank-mitchell.com/games/...har-gen-5.html

Savage Worlds is halfway down the (long) page.
    "On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
    - Charles Babbage (1791 - 1871)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks guys you have been very helpful! going to play in about an hour!!
    Chi-Halfling

Downloads
    Uploads
    Have fun
    -Tesral

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Let us know how it went!
    HARRY DRESDEN WIZARD
    Lost items found. Paranormal Investigations.
    Consulting. Advice. Reasonable Rates.
    No Love Potions, Endless Purses, or Other Entertainment.

Downloads
    Uploads
    It was alot of fun!! I have not got to do combat yet though, cause we finished before my turn several people really had to go. So that will be the next adventure in two weeks HI WEB!
    Chi-Halfling

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hiya, Chi! Good to see you back again! Glad to hear that you had fun but too bad that you didn't get into the action yet. Combat in Savage Worlds is about as fast and fun as the rest of the mechanics so it won't be a huge change but you will get to see a lot of the extra bits.

Be careful though. Combat in Savage Worlds can get dangerous really quick!
    HARRY DRESDEN WIZARD
    Lost items found. Paranormal Investigations.
    Consulting. Advice. Reasonable Rates.
    No Love Potions, Endless Purses, or Other Entertainment.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I noticed that, I kept almost dying lol!!
    Chi-Halfling

Downloads
    Uploads
    Its pretty easy to pick up. We started a side campain for when we are low on people that uses it and after 3 sessions there's almost no referring to the books.

Downloads
    Uploads
    That's good to know because I hate using books lol they confuse me.
    Chi-Halfling

Downloads
    Uploads
    Game on Sunday!! I'm a little more excited than last time cause I know what i'm doing and the people. Still nervous about combat!
    Chi-Halfling

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    how does your character feel about combat?
    nijineko the gm: AG16, CoS. nijineko the player: AtG, RttToH; . The Journal of Tala'elowar Kiyiik! .
    CrystalBallLite: the best dice roller on the planet! . nijineko the archivist: the 3.x archive

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast