Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Click here to go to the first special guest post in this thread.   Thread: Question about prepainted minis

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Question Question about prepainted minis

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    This actually may be jumping the gun, since we haven't seen the minis yet, but I figured that I would ask anyways.

A couple members of our tabletop group know a guy that has 200 D&D minis that he wants to sell. I think they were part of a large amount of gaming stuff that was aquired. He told them to make him an offer for the whole lot. After mentioning this at our last game session, we decided that we are going to offer $40 to $50 for them and see if he is willing to take it. What we don't know is if they are painted in outlandish colors. We were trying to decide if there was a good way to remove that paint, or would it be better to just paint over the other color?

Suggestions and experiences in this type of situation would be interesting to hear about. Thanks in advance.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    For plastic pre-paints it's a lot better to just paint over them. If you try to use paint remover or pine-sol you'll end up losing the miniature since the majority of paint removers will eat plastic.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Oh yeah, we aren't even sure if they are metal, plastic or a mixture of both. Our discussion last Saturday leaned towards them all being metal of some type. Never gave a thought that they could be plastic. Which is funny since some of the ones that we are using are made of plastic. Guess we were all just stoked about possibly getting 200 minis for a good low price.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    As far as I can remember all of the prepainted D&D minis are plastic.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    If you are old school, you remember the metal figures they sold back in the seventies and eighties. And in those days enamels were used. High gloss and bright colors. Things have gotten better in the years since then.

If they are metal and enamel, I think Pinesole works. I don't know, never had to remove paint. Maybe even just soaking them in water for a week or two might do it.

Downloads
    Uploads
    If they are the current Wizards minis, they are indeed plastic. I just recently painted up some Star Wars minis for my RPG group. I went cheap and just used acrylic, painting over the old paint. They turned out well, but if you wanna go pro, I can't help ya. There are plenty of helpful threads on the Wizards site for minis. If you don't find any good tips check the Star Wars ones.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the info folks. Now just have to see if we are lucky enough to get ahold of all those minis.

Downloads
    Uploads

removing paint

Brake fuild! I know it sounds dumb but it works i just get the cheap kind from the dollar store! Soak them in it for about a week in it then go over them with a tooth brush and Wallah! miniatures that are ready to be primered and painted! The last two Warhammer Fantasy armys i bought were painted horribly and this is what i did so i could repaint them.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Drieddead View Post
    Brake fuild! I know it sounds dumb but it works i just get the cheap kind from the dollar store! Soak them in it for about a week in it then go over them with a tooth brush and Wallah! miniatures that are ready to be primered and painted! The last two Warhammer Fantasy armys i bought were painted horribly and this is what i did so i could repaint them.
    Cept you might want to try it on one or two minis if they're made of plastic to make sure the break fluid doesn't do anything to the mini!
    Skunk
    a.k.a. Johnprime

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hey, Cplmac, how did this whole minis thing turn out?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Easy-off will strip metal figs as well, only dont turn the oven on 8P (you would think this would not need to be mentioned but Ive seen a lot of minis and an oven ruined) but just spray it on and let it sit, then rinse with water (DO NOT do this with plastics). For plastics there are a ton of different methods, just google and youll get a lot of responses, just test each out on a bit of a fig before trying them on the lot.

Downloads
    Uploads
    For metals I've used Brake fluid and Pile Sol.
    Both work great on metal minis. After using them, you want to wash them quickly with Dawn, or another "grease-cutting" dish soap to remove the oily solvent film left behind.
    Keep in mind, on multi-part models it will frequently dissolve the glue as well, so test the joins and re-glue is needed.

I have never successfully stripped plastic miniatures. Never. I have given up.