Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Autumn Knight

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

The Autumn Knight

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    I would like to announce a stand-alone chat adventure: The Autumn Knight. It will take more than one session to complete, but is intended to be a single adventure for five 7th level characters.

It will be set in the outskirts of the Bright Kingdom, in the Feywild. This will be my interpretation of the Feywild, as part of the Unquiet Lands. I don't own the 4th edition Manual of the Planes, so don't expect to see information from that rulebook implemented.

Characters will be generated in the same manner as they are for the other Unquiet Lands games. Please refer to http://www.penandpapergames.com/foru...yer-Guidelines and http://www.penandpapergames.com/foru...les-Guidelines for details. They will be advanced to 7th level using the chart on page 29 of the Player's Handbook or page 143 of the Dungeon Master's Guide, with the following specific rules:

• When a character race is noted as speaking Common, they speak Elven instead.
    • When a character race is noted as speaking Elven, replace that with "a language of your choice, other than Supernal or Abyssal."
    • Characters begin the game with three magic items each: one level 8, one level 7, and one level 6 item.
    • Coins of the realm are Ducats. There are ducats of fairy gold and ducats of fairy silver, termed gold ducats and silver ducats. A gold ducat is worth 1 gp and a silver ducat is worth 1 cp. A "ducat" is assumed to be a gold ducat. There is no copper, platinum, or other metals used as money, but gems are commonly accepted for larger values.
    • Characters have 1,800 gold ducats to purchase equipment, magical items, rituals, and so on. The following items are not available for purchase:
      • Residuum
      • Magic items over level 10, including consumables such as potions, reagents, and ammunition.
      • Camels, and other creatures unsuitable for temperate climates
      • Sea Horses, and other aquatic mounts

• The adventure involves travel through rough terrain, so mounts and vehicles may be of limited usefulness.
    • The canonical lack of primal spirits in the Feywild does not apply to my campaign setting. Characters who use the primal power source are allowed to be native to the Feywild.
    • You may transfer funds to other players. All players involved in such transactions are responsible for confirming them with me prior to the start of the adventure.

I wrote this adventure for four or five characters, so I will try to recruit that many players. Assume that all members of the party have been traveling together for some time and are known to one another.

I am very much aware that long-term commitments are difficult for most of you, and this adventure may not sufficiently address that issue. I am working on two other projects with this in mind: one is a set of 1-2 session adventures, and the other is even shorter: a series of thematically-linked, standalone encounters. If The Autumn Knight is not what you were looking for, I hope I will still be able to provide something suitable in the near future. These short adventures are written with 5th level characters in mind, and character generation would be similar to how it is here, but with 840 gp of funds, and level 6, level 5, and level 4 magic items, respectively. They will be set in another corner of The Unquiet Lands.

The finished adventure turned out to be lengthier than I hoped. Therefore, there will be three opportunities to change the composition of the party, hopefully evenly-spaced throughout the adventure. However, please try to complete at least one segment if you commit to the adventure.

A segment is roughly one to two personal interaction encounters, and three hazardous interaction encounters, and I would expect one segment will take two to three chat sessions to deal with. Thus, there will be four segments in total. After a segment is completed, I will solicit the players' opinions on whether to proceed to the next segment, or take a break from the adventure.

As usual, I am available on Saturday afternoons, PDT. I am also potentially available on Thursday nights, Friday evenings, and Sundays. Now is a good time to discuss scheduling.
    Last edited by Umiushi; 04-14-2010 at 06:28 AM.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    (Please note that the prior post was edited from its original form, and thus may contain some relevant, new information. In particular, I suggest skimming the second half.)

Here is a summary of the rules for PC generation, primarily for the benefit of any new players:

• Player's Handbooks 1 & 2
    • Adventurer's Vaults 1 & 2
    • Arcane Power
    • Divine Power
    • Martial Power 1 & 2
    • Primal Power
    • "Wish Upon a Star" (Dragon 366)

Here is a summary of all the rules in use:

• Player's Handbooks 1 & 2
    • Dungeon Master's Guides 1 & 2
    • Monster Manuals 1 & 2
    • Adventurer's Vaults 1 & 2
    • Arcane Power
    • Divine Power
    • Martial Power 1 & 2
    • Primal Power
    • Draconomicon: Chromatic Dragons
    • Open Vault
    • "Wish Upon a Star" (Dragon 366)

Notable books not on the list include, but are not limited to, the Eberron and Forgotten Realms rulebooks, the Manual of the Planes, and the Player's Handbook 3. Rules, including races and classes, from those and any others not on the list are not going to be used or allowed, except possibly for monsters, NPCs, or other DM-controlled phenomena.
    Last edited by Umiushi; 01-28-2011 at 03:51 AM. Reason: updated

Downloads
    Uploads
    I am good for Saturdays, as usual. A Monday, Wednesday, or Friday will work out as well for me.

Umi, we should also have a list of the players, their race/build/class and, if they are divine, their polytheism/monotheism.

I will start by announcing my character, Alain, a half-elf inspiring warlord.
    Last edited by Blydden; 04-16-2010 at 03:26 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I will announce my character as well: Kathra, a Dwarven Storm-Heart Warden

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Initial Scheduling

For my first shot at scheduling this, I'm going to pick Sundays, starting at 2:00 pm PDT. Who can make it at this time, and for how long?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I can do that. I might need to take a 15 min break for dinner (if it runs long). I'd prefer every other weekend though. Minimize wrath of the wife.
    "I'm not going crazy. I'm going sane in a CRAZY world!"

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by yukonhorror View Post
    I can do that. I might need to take a 15 min break for dinner (if it runs long). I'd prefer every other weekend though. Minimize wrath of the wife.
    Every other Sunday should present no difficulty. I was leaning that way, too. Let's see who else can be gathered.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Sadly my sundays are full up on stuff.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I could make Sunday at 2 PDT and go until about 6PDT.

Oh, and I'm planning on playing a Human Deceptive Warlock.

Downloads
    Uploads
    So a Human Fey Warlock? This should be interesting...a nice change from my star warlock, huh Umi?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Blydden View Post
    So a Human Fey Warlock? This should be interesting...a nice change from my star warlock, huh Umi?
    ...wait, did I miss something? I thought you were playing an inspiring warlord...?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    he means his warlock from the istao game.
    "I'm not going crazy. I'm going sane in a CRAZY world!"

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Welcome, Exhominem, and thank you for your interest in this adventure. Right now, we're up to four players. I am optimistically thinking that the chances of gaining a fifth player in the next two weeks are high, so I would like to schedule the first adventure two weeks from Sunday, on May 9th, from 2:00 pm to 6:00 pm PDT. I hope this will give everyone, including our hypothetical fifth player, plenty of time to make their characters. We will continue on a biweekly basis with a goal of trying to complete the first segment of this four-segment adventure before July. At that point, you can determine your continued participation and we can review the overall schedule. I do know that I will be busy in early June, just as I am going to be in early May, so that may have some impact on our meeting dates.

Some of you have characters that are complete or almost complete. So far, the races and classes of known characters in the party are as follows:

• Human Warlock
    • Human Warlock
    • Half-Elf Warlord

Downloads
    Uploads
    ...I didn't know someone else was playing a Human Warlock. I thought it was a dwarven warden...?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I was just contacted by a potential fifth player, so I believe we will be all set in time for the first session. Sadly, due to my own schedule, it won't be possible to move it earlier than May 9th.

There is no problem at all with having two human warlocks in the party. I hope the presence of another one won't affect your decision, Exhominem, but I will respect your freedom to choose whatever character suits you best for this adventure using whatever criteria you feel most comfortable with.

By the way, if you're interested, feel free to join the Unquiet Lands social group so that there's a visible record of your membership.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast