Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Force Grip Issues - Page 4
Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Force Grip Issues

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Quote Originally Posted by lockend View Post
    ...(Dang how do you pronounce that name 0.o)...
    Dytrrnikl is pronounced DYE-terr-nickel.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Inquisitor Tremayne View Post
    What is the difference between my version and Force Grip? With both powers you are rendered immobile and only granted a swift action. Mine moves you down the CT while Grip causes damage.
    I think I said that. I think you might have misread me. Who cares if you are down CTs or HP if you still can't react? That is all I am saying. There is nothing for the target to do but wait to die.

Grip VS Choke.

Surprising that WotC liked to separate force powers that can be used to do the same thing I am surprised that it should even be called grip. It its purest form grip is nothing more than a type of move object. Rather than moving the object you are squeezing it.

What I mean is Move Object vs Force Disarm, Fold Space, etc etc. There are powers that could go either way.

If I were to rewrite Saga I would just call the entire thing move object with subtopics like how Use Computer is written.

Move Object:
    With this you can do: Grip, Disarm, Move, etc etc.

-------
    Cortosis round for a slug thrower? Wouldn't that be more expensive than what it is worth? How much would a cortosis round for a slug thrower cost? Also how do you handle how long the saber is deactivated for?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by A Flannel Shirt View Post
    I think I said that. I think you might have misread me. Who cares if you are down CTs or HP if you still can't react? That is all I am saying. There is nothing for the target to do but wait to die.

Grip VS Choke.
    Sorry, I misunderstood your argument. To answer your question I believe the one being gripped/choked cares as well as the one doing the gripping/choking. But I think you are really trying to get at is this:

My problem with the way it is written and Inquisitor Tremayne's write up is that once you are gripped you are toast unless a bad roll saves you, or a friend. 1 on 1, you just gotta hope for a bad roll or die. Give me something to do to save myself. The curve of UtF vs defenses is less at higher levels so it becomes less of an issue at the higher levels. Since my players have broken level 12+, grip is becoming less useful. This is a great example of why people house rule skill focus UtF for lower level Jedi.
    Two issues here. Grip/Choke does what it does because it is attempting to simulate what is represented in the films. Plain and simple. Do you ever see anyone get out of a grip/choke? Only through outside intervention (as seen in the EU). So including a "save" or a way to react (by being able to take actions) is not what is presented in the source material. If you are unhappy with the way it works, if you are the GM, change it. The rules are not sacred. By I will argue as the day is long is that it is not what we see in the source material.

Secondly, skills vs. defenses. UtF becoming less useful against equal level opponents also makes sense because that is what we see in the films as well. Rarely are Force Powers used against an equal level opponent in the films and when they are it appears that a lot of effort is put behind it to make sure the power works, I chalk that up to either spending a FP or a DP. In addition I have never had a problem with skills vs. defenses in my games.

Surprising that WotC liked to separate force powers that can be used to do the same thing I am surprised that it should even be called grip. It its purest form grip is nothing more than a type of move object. Rather than moving the object you are squeezing it.

What I mean is Move Object vs Force Disarm, Fold Space, etc etc. There are powers that could go either way.

If I were to rewrite Saga I would just call the entire thing move object with subtopics like how Use Computer is written.

Move Object:
    With this you can do: Grip, Disarm, Move, etc etc.
    Meh. I prefer the powers system, it is nice and elegant actually. I think the powers are distinctly different enough that it warrants them being separate powers.

-------
    Cortosis round for a slug thrower? Wouldn't that be more expensive than what it is worth? How much would a cortosis round for a slug thrower cost? Also how do you handle how long the saber is deactivated for?
    Start a new thread please.
    "I'm afraid it is you who are mistaken. About a great, many things."

"It is not the rules that make or break a game, it's the GM and the players."

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Surprising that WotC liked to separate force powers that can be used to do the same thing I am surprised that it should even be called grip. It its purest form grip is nothing more than a type of move object. Rather than moving the object you are squeezing it. ...
    Actually, if you remember when WEG had the license for SW, both editions of their d6 system game, the Force was broken into three skills: Control, Sense, and Alter. Now you begin the game with access to all three if you spent some of your starting 7D worth of beginner skill, or spent 20 CPs to become Force Sensitive, then advance the skills as normal per the rules. In addition, you had to learn specific powers under each skill...I think it took 5 CPs and a Tutor or double that without. As for specific powers, under Alter, you had Telekinesis (Move Object) and Telekinetic Kill (a much more freeform use of Force Grip). Affect Mind (Mind Trick) required some combination of skill rolls with Sense and Alter, or all three. The whole point being that the power format has been present in some form since the beginning...just not in a per encounter format.

Downloads
    Uploads
    This may be something you will have to regulate based on xp. If the player continues to use the same power/tactic to win in fights, just make xp they gain from the battle less. Or, if you are running a light campaign, you could throw in a jedi sentinal who can sense when a player gains a DSP. I had to do that in one game because a certain player was just gripping and lightning everything in sight, and never used other means to advance combat. That NPC kinda kept things interesting, since he was a good four levels higher than the other players.
    Just a thought...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234