Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Click here to go to the first special guest post in this thread.   Thread: Can I create this campaign? Bring starcraft knowledge.

Downloads
    Uploads

Can I create this campaign? Bring starcraft knowledge.

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Lots of what I describe are examples so you guys know what I'm talking about.

I have this crazy idea for a campaign! I need to know if it's plausible... I want to create a campaign based in the Starcraft universe. The players will be able to choose a class, I.e. Marine, Medic, Firebat, Goliath Pilot, SCV, Protoss Zealot... Those are the classes I have so far. All of those classes require the player to be a Terran(Human) except for Protoss Zealot, which requires the player to be a Protoss.

The primary enemies in the campaign will be Zerg, other Terran, some Protoss...

The current classes I have planned all reflect a classic DnD class. Marine=Fighter Medic=Cleric Firebat=Barbarian Goliath=I didn't choose yet SCV=Bard Zealot=Monk ...

Basicly these classes will have normal skills i.e.

Marine skills:
    Jump,Knowledge(Miltary), Knowledge(Zerg), Listen, Search, Spot, Survival,Climb

SCV Skills
    Appraise,Disable Device,Knowledge(Resources),Knowledge(Terrain),Ope n Lock,Perform(Weapon/Armor Maitenance)

... Feats would be like this...

Marine Feats lvl 1=
    Precise Shot
    Combat Reflexes

I would change the "spells" into something else...Probably something called something like,"Special Unit Capabilities"

And this is how they'd look:

Marine lvl 1 spells=
    Stim Pack[Raises the Marine's Dexterity modifier by +1 for 10 minutes, at the cost of 3 health]
    Throw Grenade[Throws a grenade at the enemy, grenade explodes after 6 seconds dealing 1d8 withen a radius of 10ft, friendly fire applicable]

I would replace basic gear, like torches, with futuristic/modern things like flashlights and whatnot.

The equipment would be like... C-10 Canister Rifle, range 15, damage=1d6
    or Marine Combat Armor AC+4 weight 30lb speed -10

Do you guys get were I'm going? Is any of this plausible? Is it too much work for just me? Is it bound for failure? Opinions please.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Sounds like a lot of work to me. I'm not saying it won't work though, as I've done a lot of playing around with the rules for D&D. Just depends on how much you want to put into it and playtest it.

However, I think you might be better off using a different system altogether, which takes into account modern and futuristic technologies. Doing things like converting spells into abilities can be troublesome, to put it mildly.
    "Plan?...There ain't no plan!" - Pigkiller

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    For a project like this the d20 system isn't well suited for it. I'd recommend using either GURPS, Basic Role Playing, or Hero System since they're essentially toolkits to allow you to customize the setting as you see fit.

Downloads
    Uploads
    "I'd recommend using either GURPS, Basic Role Playing, or Hero System" Honestly, I'm not sure were/how to learn about these other systems. Were can I learn about them?

Edit:WOW this forum is fast! It's 5am and I got responses in like a few minutes, way faster responses than I've seen in other forums for different topics.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Legoxegox View Post
    "I'd recommend using either GURPS, Basic Role Playing, or Hero System" Honestly, I'm not sure were/how to learn about these other systems. Were can I learn about them?

Edit:WOW this forum is fast! It's 5am and I got responses in like a few minutes, way faster responses than I've seen in other forums for different topics.
    You can learn about GURPS, Hero System, and Basic Role Playing on their respective company home pages. If you need help with Hero System just give me a hollar since that's what I write for over at D3 Games.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Littles View Post
    For a project like this the d20 system isn't well suited for it. I'd recommend using either GURPS, Basic Role Playing, or Hero System since they're essentially toolkits to allow you to customize the setting as you see fit.
    D20 has all kinds of modern and futuristic things.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by kkriegg View Post
    D20 has all kinds of modern and futuristic things.
    Yes, d20 does, but they're hardly unified rules. Each setting has it's own special exceptions. d20 is an exception based system, which is why I mentioned three toolkit systems that can do the job better in my opinion.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Along the lines of Gurps and BRP, I would recommend Unisystem (Witchcraft, AFMBE, Buffy) For a more rules light system.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Littles View Post
    /agree

Especially Hero or GURPS 3e Revised as they both should have everything you need in one book. BRP and Unisystem are also good choices.
    Playing: Pathfinder
    Running: infrequent VtM game

"I'm beautifully hideous!" - Sven the Nosferatu

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    For a different spin, Diaspora or Starblazer Adventures might also scratch the Starcraft itch. Both are space-based sci fi, with a highly hackable system (FATE 3) running the back end.

Downloads
    Uploads
    It would be a LOT of work. Making your own game world always is as you need to make it all as realistic as possible, make sure it all connects together etc.

But that said and done, the only limit is your own imagination. There is no reason why a well done Star Craft game wouldn't be amazing. I would be interested on hearing how it goes