Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Formulas Formulas!
Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.

Click here to go to the first special guest post in this thread.   Thread: Formulas Formulas!

Downloads
    Uploads

Formulas Formulas!

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Hi there,

My name is Jim, I'm a programmer by day, and well a programmer by night as well. However a lot of my projects involve online games in all different sets of light. To start off the new year I am trying to give back to the community by writing a series of articles on how to create an online game.
    (Taking you from How does the internet work? All the way to getting people signed up for the game you built.)

However I have a dilemma, I am absolutely horrible at trying to keep games balanced and generating the formulas needed for different things like the amount of HP a user gets for leveling up to how much damage should be done at a particular time.

I came here to try and learn a bit more about how things like this are done and put together. Could anyone here point me in the right direction? Or be able to help me out with a few things on this?

Anywho! Thank you guys for your time of reading this and I shall see you around the forums.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Welcome and good luck on your mission. A lot of folks here have home-brew and games they have written. Maybe you could partner up with one of them.

Check out the independent and small press section of the website here:

http://www.penandpapergames.com/foru...play.php?f=154

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hello and welcome to P&PG. There are a few writers amongst the members of the site. As I am currently running a game on the Chat section, I will be interested to see what your final product will be.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Datawalke View Post
    Hi there,

My name is Jim, I'm a programmer by day, and well a programmer by night as well. However a lot of my projects involve online games in all different sets of light. To start off the new year I am trying to give back to the community by writing a series of articles on how to create an online game.
    (Taking you from How does the internet work? All the way to getting people signed up for the game you built.)

However I have a dilemma, I am absolutely horrible at trying to keep games balanced and generating the formulas needed for different things like the amount of HP a user gets for leveling up to how much damage should be done at a particular time.

I came here to try and learn a bit more about how things like this are done and put together. Could anyone here point me in the right direction? Or be able to help me out with a few things on this?

Anywho! Thank you guys for your time of reading this and I shall see you around the forums.
    You might want to look at using the Hero System since it's very different from your standard D&D leveling progression. I'd recommend you drop Hero Games an email to inquire about licensing the rules.

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon is offline Cursed by the Gods
    Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hello and welcome to the boards.
    Thoth-Amon, Lord of the Underworld and the Undead
    Once you know what the magician knows, it's not magick. It's a 'tool of Creation'. -Archmagus H.H.
    The first step to expanding your reality is to discard the tendency to exclude things from possibility. - Meridjet

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hi All,

Thank you for your feedback! I will make sure to check out the independent section and look into getting in contact with Hero Games to look into their licensing structure.

Thank you!

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Datawalke View Post
    Hi All,

Thank you for your feedback! I will make sure to check out the independent section and look into getting in contact with Hero Games to look into their licensing structure.

Thank you!
    Good luck and the folks at Hero Games are very easy to approach. The reason why I suggested the Hero System is because it can handle any genre since it's a toolkit. The hard work for any setting creator is the actual building of the items, etc... that inhabit the world. I'm speaking from experience since I've spent literally hundreds of hours building everything for Inceptum Terminus: Chronicles of the New Confederation.