Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What settings do you like the Most?

Hybrid View

Downloads
    Uploads

Question What settings do you like the Most?

There are so many futeristic settings and so little time. I like most of the big ones. Star wars, Star Trek, Stargate, Star*Drive, Star frontiers, Farscape, Gama World, etc. I am just not a total fanatic about any of them, but so many players are completely set on just one. What settings do you like the Most? Why?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I had no idea there was a d20 adaptation of Star Trek. I'm tempted to buy the book and check it out. Has anyone played it? Is this the d20 version you're talking about?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by rabkala View Post
    There are so many futeristic settings and so little time. I like most of the big ones. Star wars, Star Trek, Stargate, Star*Drive, Star frontiers, Farscape, Gama World, etc. I am just not a total fanatic about any of them, but so many players are completely set on just one. What settings do you like the Most? Why?
    Blue Planet
    Transhuman Space
    Paranoia

These are a few of my favorite things.

Gary

Downloads
    Uploads
    Does it have to be a D20 setting or can I name anything I like?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well the best system is one i made myself. i took different ideas from different games (like the ones you mentioned) and made them fit into the AD&D system. the AD&D system is the one i like the most so i tend to change any other games/systems to fit it. It works for me.
    some changed systems - Star trek, Dr.who, Space Law.

Is there a Game/system made for StarGate?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've played a few pre-created settings out there, Traveller, Star Trek, Star Frontiers, Gamma World and Gamma World is about the only one that I use or at least stay truest to it's design. Mostly I home brew my setting. I use D20 Future for the rule set, but the background is mine, with different elements put in it from various games, books & movies.

Course, that's the same way I am about fantasy, so is it any wonder I modify my sci-fi?
    Skunk
    a.k.a. Johnprime

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Skunkape View Post
    I've played a few pre-created settings out there, Traveller, Star Trek, Star Frontiers, Gamma World and Gamma World is about the only one that I use or at least stay truest to it's design. Mostly I home brew my setting. I use D20 Future for the rule set, but the background is mine, with different elements put in it from various games, books & movies.

Course, that's the same way I am about fantasy, so is it any wonder I modify my sci-fi?
    There is nothing wrong with homebrew. In fact almost everything I run is heavily modified to suit my tastes. When I say "I'm running Midnight" that is short-hand for "I'm running a dark fantasy game whose strongest influence is Midnight".

Only once in my last decade or so of gaming have I run an adventure almost entirely unmodified and that was the genius that is Chaosium's "Beyond the Mountains of Madness". Some time in the future I may also have to pay that respect to "The Great Pendragon Campaign" as well ... but we shall see.

But back to sci-fi, I have a persistent nagging idea about a post-apocalytpic campaign I wouldn't mind running sometime. It would almost certainly have to be a home-brew...

Gary

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by bigtony View Post
    Is there a Game/system made for StarGate?
    Yes, and it's even D20: http://www.stargatesg1rpg.com/

... whoops, looks like it may be soon out of print.
    "On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
    - Charles Babbage (1791 - 1871)

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by fmitchell View Post

I know Eden Studios was in talks with MGM for it.

I'm really hoping they get it because they treated the Buffy and Angel licenses so well, but dealing with Fox dealt them a real blow at the end of the relationship.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by fmitchell View Post

Now the site is nothing but a few pitches for legal careers.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Sounds like "Space: Above and Beyond" - loved that show.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, I always say that the best settings are ones you make yourself, so I like my setting. It's based off an old Star Trek Voyager (in my opinion, the best season ever) video game, and it kind of grew from there. I've always liked the idea of the PC's as no different than "normal" soldiers, they take the same orders, fight the same enemies, and are part of the same squad structure (of course, because of their talent, they may be put into a special-ops squad, but they still take orders).

It's still in development, check it out on the WoTC forums here.
    Last edited by blade_runner; 06-17-2007 at 04:54 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I personally don't have one particular setting that is my favorite. I usually have a "favorite of the month". Right now that happens to be a homebrew modern campaign based off of Red Dawn. Some little tweaks here and there, but that's pretty much what my mind is set on right now. In the past, I've done Spycraft (1 and 2.0), A homebrew campaign based on a treasure hunting group, Robotech, and GI Joe. I've been thinking about doing a Transformers campaign also.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Moved thread

After some thought, I've moved this thread to "General Discussion". While it started off about d20 Modern settings, it's really general enough to apply to any generic/universal system.
    "On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
    - Charles Babbage (1791 - 1871)

Downloads
    Uploads

My favorite setting

Although I am a Trekkie, for Role playing gaming, I actually like Star Wars a little better.

You can GM just about anything in Star Wars. I have done old west scenarios, cyberpunk scenarios, pulp adventures and combat scenarios.

They'll all fit.

Jay ~Meow!~

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast