Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pathfinder Middle-earth

Downloads
    Uploads

Pathfinder Middle-earth

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    I was thinking of writing some Middle-earth campaign setting info for Pathfinder. I wrote an incomplete one for Savage Worlds(which I prefer) but haven't had any players, been reading the Pathfinder book and playing it and felt like doing something similar(and non-extensive unless I actually get to run it). Is this something anyone would be interested in? I've already got most of the info in my head, just seeing if it'd be worth bothering to type up. Note for purists: I write Middle-earth stuff based on a middle ground. I try to keep the flavor of the world while feeling free to add details when necessary for flexibility. You can easily remove options or add more to increase or decrease your level of purism from exact(by the books) to MERP(by simply adding wacky stuff like all standard classes and spells, potions etc).

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Sounds very interesting any chance of lurkers allowed in the game?
    "Hey wich one of you punks stole Dr.Rockso's banana?"

Downloads
    Uploads
    I guess.

Downloads
    Uploads
    That would be alot of work AND would violate a host of copyright laws. Middle Earth is not OGL.
    //TODO: Create kewl sig...

Arch Lich Thoth-Amon is offline Cursed by the Gods
    Undead Abomination
    Community Supporter
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Sounds like a great idea, revolution 9. Fan-based material is great, too bad you can't make a buck off of your efforts due to copyright laws. If you do it, be sure to share it with others. I, for one, would love to see your work.
    Thoth-Amon, Lord of the Underworld and the Undead
    Once you know what the magician knows, it's not magick. It's a 'tool of Creation'. -Archmagus H.H.
    The first step to expanding your reality is to discard the tendency to exclude things from possibility. - Meridjet

Downloads
    Uploads
    It wouldn't be that much work. The classes just need to be tweaked, races are pretty easy to figure out, there aren't that many spells, monsters are a simple matter and the campaign info that I have is already typed up in my Savage Middle-earth books. As for copyright laws, I'm not selling anything. This is just for fun. As I've said, I am writing my own RPG but since I have no playtesters and got this beautiful Pathfinder book I thought this would be fun for me.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Recently Nintendo stopped a group of fans making a Fan film that also wasn't trying to make any money.

Good luck. I look forward to see what you come up with.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by harmor View Post
    Recently Nintendo stopped a group of fans making a Fan film that also wasn't trying to make any money.
    Don't even get me started on this subject. After the moronic "Marvel attacks the Freedom Force fan community" debacle which subsequently seemed to justify the spilling over into City of Heroes, I have a great deal less patience and a great deal more hand-gestures for companies that try to behave in such a way. What part of the word "fan" do they not understand? Nonsense.

HARRY DRESDEN WIZARD
    Lost items found. Paranormal Investigations.
    Consulting. Advice. Reasonable Rates.
    No Love Potions, Endless Purses, or Other Entertainment.

Downloads
    Uploads
    There really should be something under the law for "Fair Use"...but I'm not a lawyer.

If then send a "Cease and Desist" letter, what can be done???

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've had LotR material on my website for years and nobody has said anything. I assure you, the Tolkien estate is not skimming forums and Geocities websites looking for fan materials. They're certainly not going to waste their time with letters over a website. As for Nintendo, they're notorious for being ridiculous about their properties, to the point of actually lying about the law in their own FAQ(regarding the legal use of ROMs).

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    If you make it just for use in your specific game group, it would probably be fine, since it wouldn't be published or posted on a site and not used to make any money from. I would however, recommend not posting it, especially on P&PG, since it would involve infringing on a copywrite.

Downloads
    Uploads
    cp, I've been running that Middle-earth Cortex game since Oct on P&PG and no one's said anything. How is it different from what rev 9 is considering, besides the system?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Slipstream View Post
    cp, I've been running that Middle-earth Cortex game since Oct on P&PG and no one's said anything. How is it different from what rev 9 is considering, besides the system?

Slip,

Running a game is one thing. I am just saying that you don't want to be posting up information that is based on a game setting that was not originally made by yourself. It could possibly give the appearance of copywrite infringement. Don't want to see folks get in trouble for violating the P&PG rules dealing with copywrites.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by cplmac View Post
    Slip,

Running a game is one thing. I am just saying that you don't want to be posting up information that is based on a game setting that was not originally made by yourself. It could possibly give the appearance of copywrite infringement. Don't want to see folks get in trouble for violating the P&PG rules dealing with copywrites.
    Gotcha, thanks for the clarification

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I gotta say it...

MERP is not true to Middle Earth, Endor, or whatever name you want to use. The fluff books were great and certainly "in the spirit of" but the rules were just rolemaster, you may as well use D&D. Deciphers LOTRs was closer in getting the rules to line up with the fluff but that system needed gobs more playtesting...
    Playing: Pathfinder
    Running: infrequent VtM game

"I'm beautifully hideous!" - Sven the Nosferatu

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast