Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving Heavy Objects in 4e...

Downloads
    Uploads

Moving Heavy Objects in 4e...

Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Greetings folks, I am kind if in a pickle here. My group and I are playing a homebrew campaign and we have a Tryptich in the dungeon that we are in currently. Our DM says it weighs about 2 tons. All of us are level 9 and I was hoping that you all might have a solution on how we can move this extremely heavy object to somewhere worth selling.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Uh... Jeez. Go to town and hire some workers and wagons, eta?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    A super strong Floating Disk Ritual if you can get a arcane roll of 40 or more.
    --- Merged from Double Post ---
    At least 1 ton of it
    Last edited by wizarddog; 12-24-2009 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Automerged Double Post

Downloads
    Uploads
    I like both ideas, the first probably being the simplest, but I am more interested in the second because it sounds curiously challenging. Wizarddog, do you mind explaining your idea, I don't quite understand the idea since I'm still a novice at this game.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Rituals are the spells that do all the other stuff that in D&D spells use to do in earlier systems. Rather than being part of a wizard/cleric/druid spell allotment, they are spells that requires about 10 minutes of time and do all that out-of-combat stuff (augury, knock, resurrection, etc.)

Tensers Floating Disk (1st level ritual) is actually useful in 4e as it last 24 hours. Based on your arcane check determinds how much you can carry on it and the wizard can move it. If you manage a DC 40 arcane check it can hold up to a 1 ton of weight. Now, you can always have ritual scrolls and allow other players to cast the ritual, so you could utlize more than one floating disk.

One other nice thing about rituals is you can use multiple people to cast the spell, all they do an aid other and add +2 to the main casters roll. So if you have six people casting the spell, they make aid other checks and add +2 for each helper. (Basically adding +10). So in that case, you need to make a DC 30 for the main caster. A little more reasonable for a Eladarin Wizard of a decent level (Eladarins get +2 on acrane checks and +2 to Intelligence).

Downloads
    Uploads
    Now I had researched the floating disk ritual a little on the web, I came across this.

Code:
    Floating Disk
    Level: 1
    Category: Exploration
    Time: 10 minute / check (DC 13)
    Duration:24 hours
    Component Cost: 10 gp (Required)
     Market Price: 50 gp
    Key Skill: Arcana
    Each Success allows the Floating Disk to carry 250 lbs. Otherwise as per Tenser's Floating Disk from Player's Handbook.
    I thought to myself, "It would take 16 floating disks to move a 1 ton object...". This would run us roughly 800GP. Now you say it's possible to move up to .5 tons off one cast of the ritual? This is most intriguing. Which book is this ritual contained in?

Edit: silly me it says PH.
    Last edited by newsteadmission; 12-25-2009 at 07:07 PM.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It's in the PHB. Based on your arcane check determinds what weight can hold. The higher the number the more you can do. There is chart that indicates what the weight and DC are for the check. A DC 40 gives you 1 ton. I'm on vacation, so I don't have the books in front of me to give you page numbers.

Downloads
    Uploads
    No worries, I found it. What I am concerned about now is how much I will spend hiring folks to move it vs. using the floating disks. Thanks.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I would go for hiring folks. Is good for the local economy and will improve your standing among peasants.
    Saluti
    Carlos

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, I used my massive bluff to make someone pay me double for a Fey Panther Pelt. The headmaster of the hunter's guild tried to find me and kill afterward. So I wouldn't be showing my face in town for a while but my buddies should be fine. Thanks for the suggestion.

Downloads
    Uploads
    My first thought is to roll it on some logs, after all it is easier to tilt up and pull it across a log or series of logs than to lift and carry it. but even then you would need help from the local village. Perhaps you can promise to pay them when it gets sold.
    Never trust a smiling GM, that's when they're dangerous.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Okay, if 1 ton is 2000 lbs. 2 tons is about 4000 lbs. Max drag load is 50 X Strength score. Let's say you have a perfect fighter or barbarian with 22 STR. that means you can drag up to 1100 lbs. If 4 more in the party were to help (avrg. 10 STR= 10X50X4 = 2000) If you managed with a 29-39 check floating disk spell would add one final 1000 lbs of resistance. Therefore, you'd be able to move it. But that's probably not the only problem you have. You have to get it onto the disk for the disk to help at all. I have a feeling that you'll need to get a LOT of rope and really lucky endurance checks. I'd suggest removing any check-reducing armor.

If you can break it into pieces, you should consider that. In fact, wizards can learn a lvl 1 repair spell that will restore something to full health for 20% the cost of the item's value, and the item must fit within a 10-square cube. But if it's priceless, I don't see your group pulling together that much money. For some reason, I'm imagining a large statue or pillar that you're trying to get to town. Or something the size of a really heavy car. I dunno... Maybe you could use everybody's suggestions into a crazy-hybrid 2-ton-dragging machine of awesome.

Downloads
    Uploads
    a quick google search on a Tryptich shows that there usualy a 3 piece unit being 2 hinged doors infront of a main block. so maybe u can remove the 2 doors and carry it away in thirds?
    "No amount of preparation can compare to pure dumb luck"

Downloads
    Uploads
    They are, from my understanding, hinged, even if with very archaic-type hinges. Carefully remove the pieces from one another and label them in such a way that you can restore it in its original form. If you can get a cart with some horses into the place where the thing is kept, you are in good shape; have a party mate find some way to borrow or steal a cart with some horses and have the cart loaded through the use of pulleys and wedges. Once the thing is fully out of the dungeon or wherever it was, have an art merchant or a wealthy noble give you a price and assemble it back together with whatever means necessary.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well we moved the object in question and delightfully it was worth a big lump sum. What we moved was a Triptych (spelling might be wrong). It was full of gems and since we felt that the local labor would try and steal it or salvage some of the gems from it we went with the floating disks. The whole concept of the DC's having to be met for certain weights was a great addition to the cost of moving it. What I didn't know, and the DM just decided to tell us how far it was from the town after I told him what we were doing, was that the distance to the nearest town was 3 days. So with the floating disks weight wasn't hard to overcome. Since they move at the same speed of the controller we decided to force march and of course we met all the DC's for that too. It was hard and fun and we made 8,000 GP. Thanks for the help guys.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast