Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Click here to go to the first special guest post in this thread.   Thread: D20 vs D100 for a Sci-fi Game?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Quote Originally Posted by michael View Post

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I like this breakdown a lot better. It gives the overall percentages for each of the possible rolls starting with 3 then goes up to 18.

Soft Serve is offline Cascade Failure FTW Community Supporter
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Littles View Post
    I like this breakdown a lot better. It gives the overall percentages for each of the possible rolls starting with 3 then goes up to 18.

That is insane. I'm taking D100 because I like the wide number of possible rolls, and the ability to make more diverse opposed checks.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Soft Serve

I was just looking through the FASA Star Trek system - Game Operations Manual. Here is a condensed break down of what they felt d100 seemed to indicate:

UNSKILLED - 0 rating. Basically, you just can't do it.

SEMISKILLED - 1% - 9% rating. Roll 1d10 to determine success or failure for any routine use of the skill. Slim to no chance of success of being able to pull something off under critical circumstances withthis skill.

QUALIFIED - 10% - 39% rating. Pretty much succeed with skills at this rating range for all non-critical, routine or leisurely tasks. It's not a awesome success, jsut proficient enough to get the job done.
    Physical Skills - Every 10 points in the skill gives you a degree of success for normal, noncritical and leisurely actions. SO that a character with a rating of 30 would perform the skill 3 times better than someone with a rating of 10 and take less time to do it.
    Mental Skills - rating 10 means you know most common facts and can use skill successfully to solve problems in noncritical leisurely situations. The higher the skill rating in mental skills indicates teh quality of the solution, difficulty of solution able to be solved, and tiem needed.

PROFESSIONAL - 40% - 79% higher rating. Creditable success in noncritical situations (no fear of failure). reasonable chance of success in critical situations.

EXPERTS - 80% or hihger rating. Good chance of success even in most critical situations, though even experts may still fail tasks during critical situations.

Of course rolling 100 is auto failure and rolling 1 is auto success. AND noncritical means you don't really need to roll to determine success.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Littles View Post
    That site kicks butt!
    Last edited by michael; 01-01-2010 at 06:17 PM. Reason: typos

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    When I figure out how I'm going to use the D100 I'll put it here too...lol.
    --- Merged from Double Post ---
    Also if anyone has any suggestions or would like to help in my endeavor to make this feel free to pitch in.
    Last edited by Soft Serve; 01-01-2010 at 08:06 PM. Reason: Automerged Double Post

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I like to percentile system (albeit not as much as 3d6) because it is a very intuitive thing to describe a PCs chance of success as a percentage.

Do you have a baseline scope set up for the campaign yet? Is it planetary? ship-based? System-wide? FTL? Galactic or Universal? Time and dimension jumps? do you have different races designed or chosen? Tech levels? Are you going to allow psionics? Magic? Magic the Gathering? (Black Lotus ftw!)

Who are the major villains? Any NPC heroes? What about resource levels? Do the men of Northern cumberlain prefer shoes with silver buckles?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by michael View Post
    I like to percentile system (albeit not as much as 3d6) because it is a very intuitive thing to describe a PCs chance of success as a percentage.

Do you have a baseline scope set up for the campaign yet? Is it planetary? ship-based? System-wide? FTL? Galactic or Universal? Time and dimension jumps? do you have different races designed or chosen? Tech levels? Are you going to allow psionics? Magic? Magic the Gathering? (Black Lotus ftw!)

Who are the major villains? Any NPC heroes? What about resource levels? Do the men of Northern cumberlain prefer shoes with silver buckles?
    Yes, ish, no, idk, what's the difference? Neither, just humans, one basic tech level, no psionics, or magic, or magic the gathering.

I haven't decided yet, yes, not sure yet, They probably do.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Planetary = Only takes place on a single planet and/or it's moons, orbiting stations, etc. 2001 a Space Odyssey, Bubblegum Crisis and the world of William Gibson's Neuromancer are examples of this.

Ship-based = Ships and ship ownership plays a major part in the campaign; as opposed to players always booking passage on NPC ships or shuttle service.

System-wide = Only takes place within a single solar-system and all planets, moons and stations thereof. Classic sci-fi and anime that are only System-wide include 2010, Mission to Mars, Total Recall, Macross, Martian Successor Nadesico.

FTL = Faster-than-light travel; i.e: Breaking relativity's laws. Do ships in your game adhere to the laws of relativity? At light-speed, it takes 4 hours to fly to Neptune and years to reach nearby stars; this is without any relativistic effects on aging (at near the speed of light, you age much slower than everyone else). The "Ender's Game" novels by Orson Scott Card is an example of sci-fi that strictly adhered to non-FTL travel. Most classic sci-fi use FTL either in the form of hyperspace (Star Wars), space warping (Star Trek), or jump-drives (Battlestar Galactica).

Galactic = Takes place within a single galaxy or section thereof. Most classic sci-fi fit this category including Star Wars, Star Trek and Battlestar Galactica.

Universal = Even the galactic threshold has been breached and travel between galaxies is possible (and now we're talking REALLY huge distances!). Dr. Who is an example of this and so some degree Stargate SG1.

Time-travel = Is time travel possible? How does time travel work? A whole separate set of questions.

Dimension jumping = Are alternate dimension travel possible? How does this work? Another whole separate set of questions.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I am running a game now where the PCs had access to the whole system they were adventuring in, but a large war basically took that away from them. Now they are stuck on Earth, trying to help re-establish the Terran government from the hostile invaders that have co-opted many Earth-based power-brokers. Does that help Soft Serve?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    http://www.penandpapergames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14519

Started a new thread as this one has changed subjects a little.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123