Recent Chat Activity (Main Lobby)
Join Chat

Loading Chat Log...

Prefer not to see ads? Become a Community Supporter.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Click here to go to the first special guest post in this thread.   Thread: D20 vs D100 for a Sci-fi Game?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Prefer not to see ads?
    Become a Community Supporter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Soft Serve View Post
    I didn't say the characters did die every 14 seconds or so, but with a little element of luck and the intelligence to not make stupid moves they stay alive usually. Character deaths in the games I make like that usually fall under bad rolls, bad teamwork, or horrible communication.
    Character deaths in my games are the result of a good storyline and if the player wishes it to happen. I bring my players to the edge and make them sweat on whether their characters will survive, but I will not kill them even when there is a bad die roll. However, this doesn't address the whether you like competent or incompetent characters.

Soft Serve is offline Cascade Failure FTW Community Supporter
    Player/GM: Either
    LFG: LFG
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Depends on what you consider competent.

A soldier in the U.S.M.C. can die in one shot. That doesn't make him incompetent.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Depends on what you consider competent.

A soldier in the U.S.M.C. can die in one shot. That doesn't make him incompetent.
    A solider in the USMC will be able to hit targets out to 250m reliably, but a USMC using d20 or d100 is so bad at hitting that he would have washed out of boot.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Littles View Post
    A solider in the USMC will be able to hit targets out to 250m reliably, but a USMC using d20 or d100 is so bad at hitting that he would have washed out of boot.

Good point.

Alright Rich I think I'll settle on 3D6. I haven't done it yet, and I might as well experience it. I hope you know though I'm coming to you with any questions. .

Thanks everyone, if you think you have any better ideas go ahead and keep posting.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    D20 goes in jumps of 5% probability. Its easy to conceptualize. D100 has varying adaptations. These can be linear or random in progression. Only Star Frontiers used a more interesting approach which had a learning curve i really liked. In the end, its matters most about flavor and which system suits best. I find D20 does not suit me. I really only play my own Incarna system any more, but i play sci-fi, western, fantasy - all genres. I prefer d100 for the flavor. And D100 tend too to use less dice (tend, not all) - i prefer less dice.

Incarna; Role-Playing Game System
    www.incarna.net
    Running: 3+ campaigns set in single custom milieu world.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Maybe it's due to my experiences with FASA Star Trek, d100 system, I am a fan of percentile systems and opposed rolls for ALL Sci-fi light- or hard- core. Although after reading Rich Littles support for 3d6, I'm inclined to agre with him. I do prefer more lethal games though as well, as it is not uncommon for player's in my games to have at least two characters, sometimes three throuhgout the course of a campaign.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Dytrrnikl View Post
    Maybe it's due to my experiences with FASA Star Trek, d100 system, I am a fan of percentile systems and opposed rolls for ALL Sci-fi light- or hard- core. Although after reading Rich Littles support for 3d6, I'm inclined to agre with him. I do prefer more lethal games though as well, as it is not uncommon for player's in my games to have at least two characters, sometimes three throuhgout the course of a campaign.

Same on about everything you said. I haven't tried 3D6 yet so if I find it's either too difficult or someone talks me out of it I think I'll try it on.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Reminds me of 1st edition AD&D. The Tomb of Horrors - a module where you'll probably go through 4 characters before you make it to the demilich at the end.

Personally, I like d20 and Palladium game systems for things like Sci-Fi. Palladium is heavy on the skills, but has pretty good rules for guns and vehicles. d20 is easier creation wise, but just doesn't seem to handle tech well, even when using d20 Modern/Sci-Fi.

You could also go the Feng Shui route and make an ultra-light game system where except for simple combat rolls, all decisions are made by the GM and players.

There's a lot of statistics in order to make a decent game engine. It all depends on how close to real life and how detailed you want your mechanics.

Not to say there aren't flawed systems out there. White Wolf's system (at least, the one they used in the 90's last I played with it) broke down when you tried to roll against a target number 10 because rolling a 10 gave you a success, but it forced you to reroll, which increased your chance of getting a 1 and thus, cancelling out your success.

Shadowrun 3rd edition had probability curves that had "steps" in them because a target number 6 and 7 were statistically the same thing (when you rolled a 6 on a dice, you re-rolled and added the second roll to it, since you were always rolling 1 or higher, a TN7 was no different from a TN6), same with 12 and 13 and on up.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by michael View Post
    Really?

Quote Originally Posted by Frobozz View Post
    Reminds me of 1st edition AD&D. The Tomb of Horrors - a module where you'll probably go through 4 characters before you make it to the demilich at the end.

Personally, I like d20 and Palladium game systems for things like Sci-Fi. Palladium is heavy on the skills, but has pretty good rules for guns and vehicles. d20 is easier creation wise, but just doesn't seem to handle tech well, even when using d20 Modern/Sci-Fi.

You could also go the Feng Shui route and make an ultra-light game system where except for simple combat rolls, all decisions are made by the GM and players.

There's a lot of statistics in order to make a decent game engine. It all depends on how close to real life and how detailed you want your mechanics.

Not to say there aren't flawed systems out there. White Wolf's system (at least, the one they used in the 90's last I played with it) broke down when you tried to roll against a target number 10 because rolling a 10 gave you a success, but it forced you to reroll, which increased your chance of getting a 1 and thus, cancelling out your success.

Shadowrun 3rd edition had probability curves that had "steps" in them because a target number 6 and 7 were statistically the same thing (when you rolled a 6 on a dice, you re-rolled and added the second roll to it, since you were always rolling 1 or higher, a TN7 was no different from a TN6), same with 12 and 13 and on up.
    I realized that when I played too and quickly removed any re-rolls from hitting perfect #'s in any game I made.

My problem with D20 is that it's too small. 1-20 doesn't feel like enough for me especially if I want a specific TN. Also I bet we could name 50+ d20 based games and I'd rather divorce myself from that whole trend.

D100 delivers on that scale, but it becomes more difficult to accurately judge how much to reward players modification wise. +10 seems too small, but +20 seems too much. +15 seems complicated...Other than that though this has to be my number one choice at the moment. (backing out of my earlier 3d6 decision for the following reason...)

3D6 being 3-18 also sounds complicated. It also seems to be completely out there as far as modifications go. (+3 being a fairly high mod in this case.) And is also completely alien to me. I am interested in the Bell Curve deal we went over in the thread earlier but now I'm back to teeter-totting only I now have 3 options...

On top of it all I'm trying to think of what a three way Teeter-Totter looks like...

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Really?

I realized that when I played too and quickly removed any re-rolls from hitting perfect #'s in any game I made.

My problem with D20 is that it's too small. 1-20 doesn't feel like enough for me especially if I want a specific TN. Also I bet we could name 50+ d20 based games and I'd rather divorce myself from that whole trend.

D100 delivers on that scale, but it becomes more difficult to accurately judge how much to reward players modification wise. +10 seems too small, but +20 seems too much. +15 seems complicated...Other than that though this has to be my number one choice at the moment. (backing out of my earlier 3d6 decision for the following reason...)

3D6 being 3-18 also sounds complicated. It also seems to be completely out there as far as modifications go. (+3 being a fairly high mod in this case.) And is also completely alien to me. I am interested in the Bell Curve deal we went over in the thread earlier but now I'm back to teeter-totting only I now have 3 options...

On top of it all I'm trying to think of what a three way Teeter-Totter looks like...

To give you an idea of how 3d6 would operate go and download the GURPS Lite here. This way you can see how it works and get experience with it. GURPS Lite is completely free.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Can't download on work computer...I would any other day though.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Can't download on work computer...I would any other day though.
    Well, download it when you get home to your computer.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, download it when you get home to your computer.

Lol it's broken...And not connected to the internet.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'd say neither and use a 3d6 based system since both d20 and d100 are linear die rolls. Characters will fail more often using a linear system then with a bell curve system.

Depends on the system and how high the stats/checks are.

You can represent the same % chance of success or failure in both systems. A 10 or less 3d6, an 11 or more 3d6 and a 50% over or under are all essentially the same rolls.
    I can see you.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast